Am I Getting Irritated Because of My Diet?

Options
A recent post made me think of my personal issue lately. I have been strict with my diet and excercise this week and have been extremely moody. I have fought with my boyfriend every day this week and have felt really irritated and impatient towards my kids which I am usually not like this ever. I NEVER raise my voice at my kids and I did this morning to my son because he didn't change his clothes fast enough. It made him cry and it made me feel like crap. Has anyone else felt this way due to dieting and excercising?

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    YES! Find a way to make it not an annoyance. It may take longer but you'll enjoy it more if you aren't so hard on your self =]
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yep, all the time. Realizing its probably the diet and exercise helps get control of it. I try and stop and take deep breaths. You are doing well. Keep up the good work!
  • akivi73
    akivi73 Posts: 27
    Options
    Yes, I believe I have felt the same way. You're making changes and taking away things that your body is used to, so its like your mind is rebelling. I'm not sure of the best way to deal with it, but maybe give yourself some wiggle room in your diet. Throw in a small square of chocolate (or whatever does the trick) so you don't feel deprived. Or just take five minutes to relax. :smile:
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I tend to get irritable when I'm losing weight or when I'm in an exercise habit and miss some exercise. It's natural -- AFAIK, the only thing you can do is be aware of it and try to correct for it before you act.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I've heard people on really low carb diets can make them really irritable, but I can only offer this as a suggestion being I can't see your diary.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    This is very normal for me at the beginning of a diet. I go through a "woe is me" and "life's not fair" stage in the first 3 weeks making me rather unpleasant to be around. Then I just accept it (or give up) and move on until I find my groove and that is usually the end of that. Kind of like a withdrawal thing I guess. So long as you're getting all your proper nutrients it's likely just psychological. Do be sure that you're getting all your nutrients in though because it might be deficits making you feel that way. GL.
  • aprilmssmith
    aprilmssmith Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is especially true of low-carb diets!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Yes! Exercise snaps me out of that mood. Sometimes, I haven't eaten for 3-4 hours, and I need a little snack, or a meal.
  • Erin_26
    Erin_26 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yes, on days I realize I havent' eaten enough calories, I'm definitely cranky and irritable. You may need to up your cals.
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you for posting this! I've been losing weight since April, and I've been in a bad mood for a lot of that time. But I seriously never made the connection to my diet until now. Thinking back, whenever I've been strict with calories, I've had zero patience for my husband and kids. I felt like I was going crazy, because that's just "not me" kwim? We are getting ready for a big move (TX to CO) in a couple weeks, so I decided to just try to maintain during this time. And for the last week, I've had all the patience in the world for my naughty kids! lol They certainly haven't been behaving better, so it makes sense that eating more has helped my mood. I will have to examine my goals and diet plan more closely to figure out a better balance for when I resume losing weight. Thank you again for posting this! :)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I've heard people on really low carb diets can make them really irritable, but I can only offer this as a suggestion being I can't see your diary.

Hmm…. I would suspect this more with low fat dieting rather than low carb because of positive effects that dietary fats have on brain chemistry and development. Also given that the OP’s name is Vegan_Chick, I am assuming she gets plenty of carbs and little fats.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Hmm…. I would suspect this more with low fat dieting rather than low carb because of positive effects that dietary fats have on brain chemistry and development. Also given that the OP’s name is Vegan_Chick, I am assuming she gets plenty of carbs and little fats.
    "Like"
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, it is probably just my body adjusting to this diet. I just hope this goes away soon before my relationship is affected!
    I eat extremely healthy, I eat more fresh vegetables and fruits than the average person, plus I get at least 100 grams of protein per day (for strength training). I am also eating 5-6 meals every 3 hours so I never really feel hungry. This is the first time that I truly feel like I am dieting in a healthy way. Because of this, it makes me more irritated that I feel irritated!
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Was it my post lol?

If I don't eat every few hours, I get cranky. I think it's a blood sugar thing.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options
    Was it my post lol?

If I don't eat every few hours, I get cranky. I think it's a blood sugar thing.
    It was one from crissypop. Which one did you post?
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to take a day of doing yoga and meditation. Recenter your energies. That's my plan today. :)
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Most people don't realize that your seratonin is produced and control by your gut (I was super surpised to find this out.) But it makes sense if you really think about it and why food can affect our moods so much. Really look at your diet and diary, make sure all your carb/fats/protien are balanced. I hope your mood improves.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options
    Most people don't realize that your seratonin is produced and control by your gut (I was super surpised to find this out.) But it makes sense if you really think about it and why food can affect our moods so much. Really look at your diet and diary, make sure all your carb/fats/protien are balanced. I hope your mood improves.
    Thanks good info!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options
    Maybe you need to take a day of doing yoga and meditation. Recenter your energies. That's my plan today. :)
    You are totally right on it, that is what I should try!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yes. there is a correlation....could be low blood sugars. could be you need more protein. experiment with a few things and see what helps. :smile: