Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I’m fat,salty,sweet,y bland lol guess we get hooked on then favs
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Ended up making a poor mans version of vegan chili lol.
    Cheese tsp,tomatoe, was going to grab some black beans but saw pork y beans they called to me pretty hard well that means I need a 2 tbl of pancake syrup too then skillet fried it all ate it. Thought about adding more veggies but said Nah grabbed some potatoe chips. Having a weird craving day. Don’t even think I made chili in the end looked more like a fancy pork y bean recipe.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I make chili with TVP sometimes and I quite like it. Next time I will try a bunch of rough chopped cauliflower for volume also. I add a small amount of kidney or black beans, stock, canned tomatoes, spices.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What goes in you chili that adds do many calories? I bulk up my chili with chunks of zucchini and yellow squash. You could also try cauliflower in the chili or cauli rice.
    I use yogurt rather than sour cream to save a few calories. But what is chili without cheese????
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I tasted a chili once with spinach leaves tossed in they were good but the rest of it was fatty hamburger meat to beans tomatoes y something as couldn’t identify didn’t have cheese but you could taste butter
  • FitGirlPennyPanda
    FitGirlPennyPanda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make the bombest vegan chili I got from a website. It's really filling too.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What goes in you chili that adds do many calories? I bulk up my chili with chunks of zucchini and yellow squash. You could also try cauliflower in the chili or cauli rice.
    I use yogurt rather than sour cream to save a few calories. But what is chili without cheese????
    Eatable ;)

As opposed to the monstrosity that it is with cheese
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    A metric butt-tonne of veg. I make a LOT of chili, and these are my recommendations that don't compromise flavour too much. My chili works out about 250 calories for a portion (not a small one either, I like volume).

Mushrooms are perfect, if you blitz them in a food processor they end up a mince-like consistency with hardly any calories.
    Courgette - again I like it chopped super small.
    Carrot
    Cauliflower - can make it a bit gritty if you put too much in
    Peppers
    Onion

I also put about 5 types of beans in, I think they're about the same calories as mince but they help add more bulk IMO.

I've never put sour cream on chili, but 25g of mature cheddar is enough for me.

Oh, I use cocoa powder instead of chocolate, saves a bunch of calories and we can't tell a difference.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Hmm interesting. I don't have a recipe really I just throw stuff in, but when I calculated it, it always seems pretty reasonable calorie wise. I use 90/10 ground beef and a little sausage. Black and kidney beans. all the other stuff is pretty low calorie (tomato sauce and veg.)

I don't put cheese and sour cream etc in my chili though. I've tried it like that and never felt like it added any value to my chili for the calories lol. I do like putting avocado in there though.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    A metric butt-tonne of veg. I make a LOT of chili, and these are my recommendations that don't compromise flavour too much. My chili works out about 250 calories for a portion (not a small one either, I like volume).

Mushrooms are perfect, if you blitz them in a food processor they end up a mince-like consistency with hardly any calories.
    Courgette - again I like it chopped super small.
    Carrot
    Cauliflower - can make it a bit gritty if you put too much in
    Peppers
    Onion

I also put about 5 types of beans in, I think they're about the same calories as mince but they help add more bulk IMO.

I've never put sour cream on chili, but 25g of mature cheddar is enough for me.

Oh, I use cocoa powder instead of chocolate, saves a bunch of calories and we can't tell a difference.

I do the same, add a ton of blitzed veggies especially mushrooms! I have a friend who will NOT eat veggies but raves about my chili, he has no idea it's packed with veggies. I also do half ground turkey.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts/

My version of this (which uses almost all the same ingredients, except navy beans instead of kidney beans) is about 270 calories depending on how much my pieces of chicken weigh. The batch I made this week, I actually got 12 cups out of rather than 10 so it's even less calories!

We have it with rice, or sometime over fries with a bit of cheese, for supper, or if I'm having it for lunch I skip the rice. It's quite filling, and really easy to make.