WWYD: Grocery Store Edition

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,022 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I order my groceries from the store online and go pick them up once a week after I have had lunch. Otherwise I have a grocery list and stick to it closely. I'm not going to throw random cookies in my cart just because I missed lunch.

If you did not have lunch or a snack planned then picking up a food like jerky to eat seems like a decent idea.

How do they do with fruits and vegetables? I'm pretty picky about what I pick up, which has been one of my barriers to ordering online. I suppose I could just order the stuff that doesn't matter then do vegetables myself...

I was worried about that, too. But for the most part, they seem to pick good stuff. It's worth it to me, even if I get a rock-hard avocado once in awhile.

:lol: You know someone will complain that their avocado was too ripe.

I try to shop at the store when I'm not hungry. Also I agree that only my regular foods are *allowed* in the cart. Once a week I buy one treat food. Once. And it has to be small. No half gallons of ice cream or a package of cookies.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I envy people who write a list and stick to it. I'm heavily swayed by discounts curious temptations, it doesn't even matter if I'm full or hungry. That's why there is carob paste that has been sitting in the pantry for a few months now because "I never tried to make anything with carob, it sounds interesting", and a new body lotion has joined my other 4 sealed ones because "but I never tried a cucumber scented one". Salt and vinegar chips were buy 3 get one free, so why not, I don't like them but surely someone else will eat them. They are being tossed around from one shelf to another because they're occupying space. I'm banned from grocery shopping unless I need something specific, in which case I will go straight to the item. If I'm not carrying a basket, I'm not too tempted to buy things just because they're "interesting".
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'm another who limits my impulse/convenience food buys to things I don't mind eating. Usually berries or lunch meat which are no prep, delicious (to me) and not something I eat regularly so they tick all of the boxes.

Desserts, candy and junk food are things I eat on occasion but they're not anything I can eat casually "just because" and maintain my weight so no matter how hungry or tired I am they're not ending up in my cart - I made that decision long ago, stuck to it and now it's a non-issue.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I don't really impulse buy at the grocery store, and I often drop by on my way home after work (when I'm hungry for dinner). I also tend to just go to the areas of the store where the items I plan to buy are. Veg and fruit I do tend to wing it -- just buy based on what's there, what looks good, and everything else is planned (usually just in my head, but I'm very good at sticking to a plan when shopping -- I Christmas shop in a fast and focused way too!). ;-)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,645 Member
    Options
    I usually stick to my list and go straight from the produce section to dairy, with some canned products. It helps to stay out of certain areas if hungry. I've been allowing myself to get two pints of light ice cream lately and that has been fun, but is my only splurge.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I would have a snack before shopping or I would buy to much stuff & it would be yummy vs healthy stuff too. I'm lousy at sticking to a list though so if I have a snack before going to the store (like a 100 cal pack of almonds) I eat those drink some water then go shopping.
  • noelr56
    noelr56 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This:

2zxf8hrca7cz.png

My absolute favorite snack on the go. Protein and fat to give me energy and keep me satiated and keep my blood sugar stable til my next meal, and it's delicious too.

I've been wanting to try these!! they look like a delicious adult cheese stick!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I usually go right after work and I am hungry. There's a Starbuck's in my store, and I always budget my calories for a nonfat latte. I really enjoy sipping it as I shop, it stops my hunger pangs so I can wait for dinner when I get home, and it helps me meet my protein goal for the day. Win, win, win!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I order my groceries from the store online and go pick them up once a week after I have had lunch. Otherwise I have a grocery list and stick to it closely. I'm not going to throw random cookies in my cart just because I missed lunch.

If you did not have lunch or a snack planned then picking up a food like jerky to eat seems like a decent idea.

How do they do with fruits and vegetables? I'm pretty picky about what I pick up, which has been one of my barriers to ordering online. I suppose I could just order the stuff that doesn't matter then do vegetables myself...

I order from Whole Foods via Prime Now. I once got a grapefruit instead of an orange >.< I always mark everything No Substitutions now, so I can get a refund if mistakes like that happen. Other than that, they do better picking produce than my OH does :smiley:

But yes, your plan of getting produce yourself is a good one.

I spend a lot less money at Whole Foods with online ordering due to no impulse buying.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    noelr56 wrote: »
    Hey y'all,

I was running errands and - you guessed it- I hit the grocery store RIGHT at lunch time! I was so hungry- so, question is: what would you do? power through and hope it doesn't effect what you put in the cart? or have a snack?

I chose to buy a turkey jerky stick and eat it prior to completing my shopping trip but would be interested to hear what others think!

I'd get a protein bar first and eat while I shop.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If I were hungry I would stop for lunch first. Not because it would cause me to stray from my list, but because hunger turns to hanger real fast for me. I'm irritated by people in the grocery under the best of circumstances, so being there while hangry is not a good idea for me. :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if I've eaten or not before I go to the grocery store. If I see something that looks good or is on sale that I normally buy or want to try, I'll buy it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,444 Member
    Options
    I keep small shelf-stable single-serve protein-y snacks in my car just for occasions like this (protein is satiating for me). ;) Snack, then shop!
  • betsymoomoo
    betsymoomoo Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do real strict meal planning for my weekly eating so if I'm starving my kids will be happier because it just means I will buy some extra school treats.
  • noelr56
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I keep small shelf-stable single-serve protein-y snacks in my car just for occasions like this (protein is satiating for me). ;) Snack, then shop!

that's so smart!! what types of non-melty protein snacks do you keep?
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I use an app for $5 a month that I upload recipes to and create my meal plans, and it creates a grocery list for me. It's called Plan To Eat and it's awesome. I go in there and get what I need, nothing more. I don't go when I'm hungry. Also, when I take my boyfriend he tends to want more fun foods, so it's best if I go alone, although I am changing his ways a little lol :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,444 Member
    Options
    noelr56 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

that's so smart!! what types of non-melty protein snacks do you keep?

Single-serve packets of dry-roasted soybeans; crispy chickpeas; crispy broad beans; 100-cal packs of nuts (yes, lots of fats in there, and a small amount of protein), some seed mixes (ditto). Those hold up pretty well in variable weather for a while. There are other things that will last a shorter time, like the all-cheese crisps or shelf-stable hummus. Jerky and comparable things might work for meat-eaters (I'm vegetarian).
  • noelr56
    Options
    I use an app for $5 a month that I upload recipes to and create my meal plans, and it creates a grocery list for me. It's called Plan To Eat and it's awesome. I go in there and get what I need, nothing more. I don't go when I'm hungry. Also, when I take my boyfriend he tends to want more fun foods, so it's best if I go alone, although I am changing his ways a little lol :)

I have a totally different experience if I shop alone vs. with my significant other!!