Supplements? Vitamins?

Options
floofyschmoofer
floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I have depression/anxiety so a Vitamin B Complex is a must for me to help keep me moving and happy. While I'm browsing and filling my Amazon cart, are there any supplements for your health/weight loss that a personal must for you? I've been treating myself pretty poorly for a long time so I am open to suggestions. :)

I'm also open to workout supplements and recommendations for protein powders that don't taste like a butt.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor tell you that you need supplements aside from the B complex? Is your protein too low most days?

I ask because you should strive to get most of your nutrition from eating if possible. Nothing wrong with protein powders but they are also not essential for working out if your protein is already in a good range.
  • floofyschmoofer
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Did your doctor tell you that you need supplements aside from the B complex? Is your protein too low most days?

I ask because you should strive to get most of your nutrition from eating if possible. Nothing wrong with protein powders but they are also not essential for working out if your protein is already in a good range.

I don't have health insurance, so I couldn't tell you what my doctor has to say. I know that I personally benefit from a low-sugar, high protein beverage after a workout, and occasionally enjoy mixing some protein powder into my coffee since it is often the only thing I consume on a busy work morning.

I'm trying to make a good start and stay engaged with my health journey, which today means, I'm checking out the various supplements out there. I appreciate your input, but it's not really helpful considering what I asked. Have a good one!

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you mean by supplements.

I take:
    Multi-vitamin
    Omega-3
    Vitamin D

I also drink a protein shake on gym days and drink creatine every day
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Having smoothies with protein, veggies, and fruit helps me meet my protein goal and get in more veggies. I like Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural. Ingredients: Whey protein isolate, Natural French vanilla flavor, sunflower lecithin, xanthan gum.

(The 'Vanilla' option does have some sugar, and to me a rather overpowering amount of vanilla. 'Natural' is lightly vanilla.)

Instead of regular coffee in the AM, I add the Whole Foods brand chocolate whey, plus chia seeds and dried coconut, and call it breakfast.
  • SaraMA1
    SaraMA1 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hey There, I take a once a day chewable multi vitamin (Celebration is the brand) and I like the grape flavored ones. I also have added once a day Biotin to my morning routine, which seems to help my hair and over all complexion! I too take Vitamin B12, I bought it from Trader Joe's, and it seems to be doing its job.
    As far as protein shakes, I order Arbonne protein powder as I really like the taste (chai, chocolate,vanilla). Sometimes instead of coffee creamer or milk, I will add Premier Protein Carmel drink (already made) for flavor and creaminess to my coffee or iced coffee. Its a nice change!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    If you are already mixing protein powders into your morning coffee I don't understand why you need a recommendation.

Weight loss supplements are mostly a caffeinated scam. If you feel like you might benefit from a multi-vitamin there are many brands to choose from. It may mostly result in slightly more expensive urine but I don't think they hurt anything.

Eating a large variety diet is the best way to maximize your nutrition.
  • floofyschmoofer
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by supplements.

I take:
    Multi-vitamin
    Omega-3
    Vitamin D

I also drink a protein shake on gym days and drink creatine every day

I just mean stuff like creatine, pre-workout for those that utilize that, etc, -- performance and recovery aids.

Was just looking for whatever input about what everyone puts into their mouths besides food/water to fuel their fitness/health/whathaveyou.
  • floofyschmoofer
    Options
    If you are already mixing protein powders into your morning coffee I don't understand why you need a recommendation.

Weight loss supplements are mostly a caffeinated scam. If you feel like you might benefit from a multi-vitamin there are many brands to choose from. It may mostly result in slightly more expensive urine but I don't think they hurt anything.

I'm not currently, which is why I asked for people's input? I know my post number over there makes me look all shiny and brand new, but this isn't my first rodeo. I have been battling with myself for a long time to take back control of my health and get back to where I once was, I'm out of the loop, and there are a lot of products out there, and a lot of variations within. I find asking my peers to be the best way to find out what not to waste time on. Which is why I posted.

I didn't ask for weight-loss supplements, just product recs in general. To be honest, they make my heart do somersaults so I don't even touch anything labeled for weight loss.

• floofyschmoofer
    Options
    SaraMA1 wrote: »
    Hey There, I take a once a day chewable multi vitamin (Celebration is the brand) and I like the grape flavored ones. I also have added once a day Biotin to my morning routine, which seems to help my hair and over all complexion! I too take Vitamin B12, I bought it from Trader Joe's, and it seems to be doing its job.
    As far as protein shakes, I order Arbonne protein powder as I really like the taste (chai, chocolate,vanilla). Sometimes instead of coffee creamer or milk, I will add Premier Protein Carmel drink (already made) for flavor and creaminess to my coffee or iced coffee. Its a nice change!

I was looking into the Biotin, my hair is starting to come in gray at my temples and with it, the texture has become more coarse and unmanageable. I'm wondering if that wouldn't hurt to try and see if it would help.
  • NovusDies
    edited June 2019
    Options

I'm not currently, which is why I asked for people's input? I know my post number over there makes me look all shiny and brand new, but this isn't my first rodeo. I have been battling with myself for a long time to take back control of my health and get back to where I once was, I'm out of the loop, and there are a lot of products out there, and a lot of variations within. I find asking my peers to be the best way to find out what not to waste time on. Which is why I posted.

I didn't ask for weight-loss supplements, just product recs in general. To be honest, they make my heart do somersaults so I don't even touch anything labeled for weight loss.

If you re-read your OP you specifically mentioned weight loss supplements which is why I responded that way. There are no supplements that are necessary for people losing weight unless they do not get them from food/sunlight.

What protein powder were you using that you thought was tasty? Perhaps someone can recommend another one that is similar?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options

I was looking into the Biotin, my hair is starting to come in gray at my temples and with it, the texture has become more coarse and unmanageable. I'm wondering if that wouldn't hurt to try and see if it would help.

Well, to stop shedding excessive amount of hair, I believe biotin has been helpful for me. Because of the hair life cycle, it does take many months to see a difference. I have been taking it probably a year now. I haven't noticed any effect on the gray, but that wasn't why I started taking it.

https://www.amazon.com/Biotin-000mcg-120-VegiCaps-Pack/dp/B001E6O6P4/
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I take a multi in gummy format because I got a free bottle. I don't take it everyday. When it's gone I doubt I'll replace it.
  • floofyschmoofer
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Well, to stop shedding excessive amount of hair, I believe biotin has been helpful for me. Because of the hair life cycle, it does take many months to see a difference. I have been taking it probably a year now. I haven't noticed any effect on the gray, but that wasn't why I started taking it.

https://www.amazon.com/Biotin-000mcg-120-VegiCaps-Pack/dp/B001E6O6P4/

I've accepted that I shed like some kind of St. Bernard. Haha. I have a friend who swears by it to strengthen her hair and make it appear healthier which I feel like I could benefit from with the coarse grays. Worth a shot!

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Nothing for weight loss (which sounds like that isn't what you meant), but I do take Vitamin D (doctor's order) as well as Omega 3, iron, and B12 (vegetarian, just to help supplement dietary intake). Most of it is precautionary since I'm vegetarian long-term and have a lot of cancer history in my family.
  • LegendaryOrange
    LegendaryOrange Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    D3
    K2
    Fish oil
    Coq-10
    Multi
    Magnesium
    Turmeric
  • floofyschmoofer
    Options
    grimendale wrote: »
    Nothing for weight loss (which sounds like that isn't what you meant), but I do take Vitamin D (doctor's order) as well as Omega 3, iron, and B12 (vegetarian, just to help supplement dietary intake). Most of it is precautionary since I'm vegetarian long-term and have a lot of cancer history in my family.

Nope, not for weight loss, just for being healthy while I work to lose weight myself.