Keto or no keto that is the question

Options
2»

Replies

• Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My doctor "prescribed" keto for me on October 1, 2018 due to Hashimoto's, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, and Epstein Barr. Those are 3 autoimmune disorders for which no cure or treatment are available.

Since October 1, I have lost 66 lbs, reduced my waist circumference by 9 inches and my hips by 11 inches. My cholesterol has dropped 100 points and my cholesterol ratio has dropped 1.4. My liver enzymes have gone from indicating fatty liver disease to perfectly normal. All other hormones are now perfectly normal. My Hashimoto's is in remission.

Keto has been the easiest way of eating I have ever done. And I have done them all. It works because I choose to make it work. If you choose to try, keep it simple. Don't worry about finding substitutes for your favorite carb foods. Just eat meat and green leafy vegetables along with healthy fats and see what happens.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    If you are going to try "keto", which is usually the modified Atkins diet (MAD) version of the ketogenic diet being sold as "keto" vs. the 4:1 (or even 3:1) fat:protein ratio and carefully calorie controlled actual ketogenic diet, mind as well just try the 2003 version of Atkins as laid out in the published book before Dr. Atkins died. If you don't alter ("tweak") the Atkins diet from as it is laid out in the book, it does work as well as any other weight loss plan that acknowledges at some point calories do matter as opposed to those who want to sell you the flawed carb-insulin model where they don't since it is a far, far more appealing fairy tale to believe (calories don't matter! I can eat what, and as much as, I want as long as there's no carbs! yeah, no...). At least Atkins 2003 book has a built in "exit plan" as far as learning the tools that might lead to long term sustainability for a person once the weight is shed that the current "keto" (MAD) diet does not offer those who jump on that wagon.
  • InsanityFan1
    InsanityFan1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've lost near 30, I still eat what I like, Pizzas, burgers, etc.I just don't have the amount I used too and frequency. I also get a good 30-70 minutes of workout in 4-6 days a week. I just personally don't like following something that says what I can and cant have.....Moderation works for me.
  • amayk
    amayk Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lost 80 pounds with carbs, lost 140 without carbs. Have been eating keto/lowcarb for 9 years, and will stick to it. Fast carbs makes me crave more carbs and I do alot better when I don't have to fight that craving all the time. Lowcarb makes me feel not hungry, and therefor I eat less.
  • Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If you are going to try "keto", which is usually the modified Atkins diet (MAD) version of the ketogenic diet being sold as "keto" vs. the 4:1 (or even 3:1) fat:protein ratio and carefully calorie controlled actual ketogenic diet, mind as well just try the 2003 version of Atkins as laid out in the published book before Dr. Atkins died. If you don't alter ("tweak") the Atkins diet from as it is laid out in the book, it does work as well as any other weight loss plan that acknowledges at some point calories do matter as opposed to those who want to sell you the flawed carb-insulin model where they don't since it is a far, far more appealing fairy tale to believe (calories don't matter! I can eat what, and as much as, I want as long as there's no carbs! yeah, no...). At least Atkins 2003 book has a built in "exit plan" as far as learning the tools that might lead to long term sustainability for a person once the weight is shed that the current "keto" (MAD) diet does not offer those who jump on that wagon.

Not really sure what "keto" plan you are referring to. My ratio fat:protein is 3:1=75% fat, 25% protein, 5% carb. My macro values in grams are adjusted every 10-15 lbs of fat loss. My calories are restricted within those macros and I maintain a marginal deficit for gradual weight loss. All grains and sugars (with the exception of the occasional berry) are off-limits forever.

This plan works as long as you work the plan. My understanding is that keto is forever. There should not be an "exit" plan. With this Way of Eating (WoE), the body will level to its natural state and achieve homeostasis as long as there is no deviation from the WoE.
  • Bodyopus
    Bodyopus Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @Danp Agreed. 3 - 4 weeks is a much better time frame to try out the diet but I always assume most ppl are as impatient as I am.
    @MikePTY Only comment I would make is that a person won’t know if they are a good candidate for long term success unless they it. Before I started keto I thought I would hate it and fail miserably. The opposite turned out to be true.
    Ultimately to each his own. There are many effective ways to lose weight. To me, the most important two factors are can you stick to it and does it get the results you want? If both are yes, you’re set.