Trying to get off soda... anyone have any good suggestions for a substitute?

Options

Replies

• mike_rom
    mike_rom Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    SOOO difficult. I actually really like diet soda. I have gotten WAY better though. To start, I had to use Crystal Light. Water just seemed way too boring. Then I started doing half and half. Half my water was just ice water and the other half was Crystal Light. I am not to almost all water and drinking way more of it. I lost weight just from cutting out all soda and also feel WAY better. By back hurts less and I actually have had more energy
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I love homemade iced tea, and never sweeten it. (I also will have a diet ginger ale or diet coke or sparkling flavored water.)

Also a fan of cold brew coffee or even just coffee I make and chill.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I want 2 everyday..sometimes more. I drink 1 at work when I have my first meal at 11 and again with dinner around 6

kimny72 wrote: »
    nocgirl72 wrote: »
    My cousin who is a trainer and nutritionist (not certified nutritionist but her guidance help me lose over 20 lbs).

And all these media reports that the artificial sweeteners are bad for you.

I love diet pop and I find it a good way to satisfy a sweet tooth and cravings but a the same time I cant help but think I am harming myself.
    nocgirl72 wrote: »
    I cannot totally give up diet pop. I just had a coke zero. That and Diet Dr Pepper and Sparkling Ice are my faves and yes I do know the artificial lab created sweeteners aren't supposed to be good for you.

According to who?

There is no proof that artificial sweeteners are bad for you, feel free to a have a diet soda every once and awhile and don't feel guilty about it :drinker:

• MrsGreenstar76
    MrsGreenstar76 Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I'm trying to give up soda once and for all, and I love water, I just don't want to drink ONLY water.
    What's some good suggestions to replace the soda?
    I don't want to drink a lot of juice because I know a lot has a lot of sugar, which is one of the reasons I'm giving up soda.
    So I just want something w/some flavor, just not all the sugar and empty cals.
    Thanks!

I used to hate drinking water & drank mostly fizzy drinks. I started drinking no added sugar cordials, like Ribena, to wean myself off Coke. I drank mostly NAS cordial for the first few weeks, with water occasionally, but now I drink mostly water. I still drink NAS cordial when I feel like a change.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Flavored sparkling water or infuse your own- cut up a few cucumbers and throw in some berries.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Hint!
  • Makeyourdreamshappen
    Makeyourdreamshappen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I quit soda 4 months ago. One of the best decisions I have ever made. I used to drink 6 sodas a day! A couple of days ago I discovered Spindrift at Target! I get that carbination without all of that sugar and calories <3 ! My husband thinks that they are gross lol which is cool with me because I get them all to myself!
  • andimickey
    andimickey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like the Arizona Green tea concentrate. Add to a giant Thermoflask of ice water - no calories and great tea taste. Add an artificial sweetener if you like. Just a squirt in the thermos.
  • kim_murray
    kim_murray Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am almost 4 weeks into not drinking soda! I have been drinking carbonated waters (Sparkling Ice, Bubly, LaCroix) as my replacement and have not missed soda. If I need caffiene I will drinkblack tea or coffee with sugar free creamers.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Just got myself a sodastream machine to make my own sparkling water and cut down on plastic bottle use (Still have the occasional Diet Coke though). Experimenting with different flavours at the moment:
    • Fresh Lemon/Lime wedges & a sprinkle of sea salt (couple of cals)
    • Peach Barley Water (Around 5 cals)
    • Mi Wadi Tropical Fruit water enhancer (Zero Calorie)
    • MyProtein FlavDrops - Cherry or Mango (Zero Calorie)
  • MrsTitus2
    MrsTitus2 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Kombucha fimx1cmoxej8.jpg
  • moxiefitman
    moxiefitman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to get off soda?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    For me, after trying everything from flavored waters to watered down juice to things like Mio, I finally realized that my soda "trigger" was bubbles. So for me, some fizzy water with some natural flavor and nothing else does the trick and keeps me away from the soda offerings.

Try something for a couple weeks and see if your cravings get better - if not, try something else the next couple weeks. If your cravings get easier to control, you've probably found your trigger and once you find that, it makes it much easier to avoid soda in my experience!
  • alondrakar
    alondrakar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have one bottled water in the mornings with some BCAAs in it. I don't care what the BCAAs do/don't do. About 20 calories per scoop and I only really need half the scoop, so 10 cals. It's tasty and weirdly helps me drink more water throughout the day.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I second Bubly sparkling water. They have great flavors and are often on sale at the supermarket and on Amazon.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to give up soda once and for all, and I love water, I just don't want to drink ONLY water.
    What's some good suggestions to replace the soda?
    I don't want to drink a lot of juice because I know a lot has a lot of sugar, which is one of the reasons I'm giving up soda.
    So I just want something w/some flavor, just not all the sugar and empty cals.
    Thanks!

Diet soda, seltzer, club soda with a slice of lemon or lime, diet tonic water with a slice of lemon or lime, low calorie beverage mix like crystal light or Mio.

I have a SodaStream and I fizz up 2 liters a day. One I flavor with an extract or leave plain and the other I use something like Mio or Crystal light.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Just got myself a sodastream machine to make my own sparkling water and cut down on plastic bottle use (Still have the occasional Diet Coke though). Experimenting with different flavours at the moment:
    • Fresh Lemon/Lime wedges & a sprinkle of sea salt (couple of cals)
    • Peach Barley Water (Around 5 cals)
    • Mi Wadi Tropical Fruit water enhancer (Zero Calorie)
    • MyProtein FlavDrops - Cherry or Mango (Zero Calorie)

I get extracts from Olive Nation and use those. I buy the 4 oz bottles and got a couple of dropper tops for them. One dropper (approx 1/4 tsp) of the citrus flavors (lemon, lime, grapefruit) or two droppers of the berry flavors (cranberry is my favorite) per liter bottle. No calories, no artificial sweeteners and it tastes just like the LaCroix, Klarbruun, etc. you can get in the stores.