How badly have you ever misread a calorie label and got a horrible shock later?

Options
Today has not been a good day for me.

I set off for work knowing that I would be in court most of the day and thats really difficult. I have lots of calories left over from yesterday (not on purpose) so I thought well I might have a mcdonalds for breakfast, lunch and then a fish and chip tea.

I dont use mcdonalds for food a lot, I just get a cup of tea now and then when Im on the road so I dont really know their menu.

So I pulled up and saw this breakfast wrap thing. I thought it said on the big menu sign that it was 253 calories and thought, thats a bargain.
So I ordered it and it was jam packed with bacon egg, patty thing, hash brown thing. I happened to glance at the label which seemed to say then it was 254 calories, fine I thought.

So I have just got in to log the food for today so far to find out that I must have been looking at the kj amount which was 2531 if you have tomato sauce or 2546 with brown sauce. The ACTUAL calories are 605!!! What a bloody difference!

But I really could have sworn it said that on the sign because I was comparing with other things like the breakfast bagel which was about the same and I thought the wrap seemed better value calorie wise.

Not to mention by the time I got there, the trousers I put on this morning, feeling pleased they fit me since losing a bit more weight, have ripped right along the inside of the leg and I had to walk around in them all day as I didnt get a chance to get out at lunchtime. So no lunch.

I did happen to wonder how 250 odd calories had kept me sustained until about 5 and now I know. It was over double that amount!

Replies

• Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I picked up one of those Bert & Ernies (or whatever they're called) "protein cookies", because one of the threads here went on and on about them. I though, oh wow, thats not bad til I realized a single cookie was 2 servings. Come on, guys? Seriously?!!!!!

Lenny & Larry's... they have 2 different size cookies (2 oz and 4 oz). I rarely see the 2 oz. size but they exist.
  • alondrakar
    alondrakar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I picked up one of those Bert & Ernies (or whatever they're called) "protein cookies", because one of the threads here went on and on about them. I though, oh wow, thats not bad til I realized a single cookie was 2 servings. Come on, guys? Seriously?!!!!!

Do you mean the Lenny and Larry cookies? Because same. I had been eating them as a night snack for WEEKS before realizing I was eating two servings instead of one. Never had them again.

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    For me, it was the old dry weight / cooked weight thing. I THOUGHT that bowl of dhal was suspiciously big, but I was tired...
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    poisonesse wrote: »
    I used to simply LOVE this frozen sausage gravy, I'd eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I could. And at only 260 calories, no need to give up what I love! Took me 4 months of frustration before I realized that it was 260 calories per serving... and that teeny tiny sealed bag supposedly held 4 servings! That was over 8 years ago, and I STILL say that's a one person portion, they just knew no one would buy it that way, so the broke it down to improve sales! :D

Yikes, that's a massive difference!
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    99clmsntgr wrote: »
    I remember one time my wife brought home some ice cream cones. Either Nutty Buddy or something (can't remember which), full sized. She was so proud, "Look, only 130 calories!"

From fat.

That was calories from fat. 350 calories total. :(

Ended up being OK, it just ate into my exercise buffer, but it was seriously disappointing.

Yes the fat calories thing is SO misleading and for some reason it's highlighted on some products instead of actual calories. It's almost gotten me a couple times.
  • Clarisse_McClellan
    Clarisse_McClellan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I can't recall one for me, but I do recall my husband telling me he drinks his coffee with half-and-half, because it's only 15 calories per 2 tbsp. serving. I was like, On what planet? That's 40 calories. He's been drinking 8 tbsp. per day, thinking it was only 60 calories, turns out he was drinking 160 calories. Not huge, but I'm STILL trying to figure out how he got the one wrong.