Struggling to hit calories after getting enough fiber and protein?

Options
After using this app for a month I've discovered that I've been getting barely half of my fiber and protein needs. I've fixed that (I'm now getting 25 g fiber and 85-95 g protein) but now I'm so full all of the time, I can't hit my calorie goals!

I've been losing way too fast and am trying to slow that down but I won't be able to if I dont get the proper calories. Should I force myself to eat?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    Consider eating some calorie-dense but not very filling foods, like nuts, nut butters, full-fat dairy in place of nonfat/lowfat (if you eat dairy), avocados, olive oil on salads or oil in cooked foods, cheese, etc.
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Consider eating some calorie-dense but not very filling foods, like nuts, nut butters, full-fat dairy in place of nonfat/lowfat (if you eat dairy), avocados, olive oil on salads or oil in cooked foods, cheese, etc.

I thought about replacing the almond milk in my morning smoothie with full-fat milk, but the almond milk has more nutrients. I always figured the nutrients were more important? Ugh all of these little decisions all day, everyday is exhausting!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    replacing the almond milk for one with more fat is a great idea.

if you have trouble eating enough, avoid low fat and opt for high fat. there are quick ways to add calories WITHOUT adding more food. for example, don't be scared to use oils when cooking or as dressing.

here is a list of calorie dense foods.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • MicahTrainerTx
    MicahTrainerTx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you’ve got a little bit of sugar/carbohydrates left to play around with, you might consider making a calorie dense “trail mix” of sorts...

For my non carb-restrictive days I have a mix of walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, along with dried figs and dates. It has a good Fiber numbers , good fats from the nuts/seeds, and tons of nutrients from the figs and dates. Again, this is if you can permit the sugar. It’s really dependent on the person.

On days where I am carb/sugar restricted, and falling short of my calorie numbers, I’ll take an extra serving of green beans or asparagus, and pan sautée it with a tablespoon or so of EVOO and blanched almonds or walnuts (or you can sub the EVOO for your designer oil of choice.) The calorie rich lipids from the oil and nuts are calorie dense without excessive carbs. The extra fat will also decrease the chance of irregularity from the extra fiber (from the veggies) and/or from high protein intake.

But as I said before; different strokes. The previous few poster’s suggestions are good too.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    That happens to me as well because I find fiber so filling. I've also recently upped my calories by 200 per day due to losing too fast so I feel like I need to eat all my calories.

I currently have 600 calories to use for the week. I think I might have chips and salsa and an ice cream sandwich or maybe a big bowl of cereal with fruit or I have some green tea ice cream I haven't tried yet.

As was said upthread:
    There’s no need to eat only perfect foods.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    You are getting good advice.

Your protein and fiber totals are not super high (they look good, though), so I am wondering if rather than feeling too stuffed to eat more you are creating 3 (or however many) meals that are high protein and fiber, relatively low carb and fat (since in your mind those are "bad") and then you find you are satisfied and feel no need to eat more at a time you wouldn't ordinarily (other than snacking on foods you aren't interested in).

I found when I first started I cut too low and was fine on lower cals and didn't feel like eating more (although I didn't feel stuffed). What I did (and I think it's good, as I think eventually the body rebels if you keep eating overly low cals) is loosen up about my meals and not just eat protein and veg or whatever, but cook with a little more oil or make a salad dressing with oil as well as vinegar, add in some cheese, absolutely add nuts or nut butter, if using skim dairy, increase the fat content (and as someone else noted, almond milk that's low cal is basically flavored water, any nutrients are supplements like taking a vitamin), and use the whole egg vs. egg whites. I would eat foods I loved like pasta or potatoes, but with lots of veg, protein, and some olive oil and/cheese. Just little changes like that will usually get you up to the appropriate cals and add more satisfaction longer term. And if you are starting to fall into a too restrictive mindset I think they will help with longterm sustainability.