Which peanut butter is better for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,616 Member
    Options
    Neither.

Unlike every other person on MFP ( it seems to me) I do not like peanut butter and don't have any in my house and never eat it.

* crawls into corner* :D

I like peanut butter (especially peanut butter flavored things) but I would pick sunflower seed butter wayyyyyy over it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Crunchy is for adults with their own teeth.

Smooth is for small children and old people with no teeth.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Crunchy is for adults with their own teeth.

Smooth is for small children and old people with no teeth.

Or people who don't want to chew their peanut butter. I am the same way with ice cream, I don't like any with crunchies in it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally speaking, the peanut butter that contains the least amount of sugar and other additives in it is the best for you.

Then, all you are eating is peanuts that have been pulverized into a paste that you can smooth out w/olive or peanut oil so that you can actually spread it. You can make this yourself in a food processor or w/a mortar & pestle but few people care to go to that much trouble and frankly it really doesn't taste that good w/o the sugar, salt and other stuff that's "bad" for you in it.

I snack on Skippy Creamy straight out of the jar. It's loaded w/sugar but I only eat 1-2 tbsp at a time only 1-2x/wk at most. So, it's just a guilty food pleasure for me.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Jif Naturals crunchy--its my fave:)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Neither.

Unlike every other person on MFP ( it seems to me) I do not like peanut butter and don't have any in my house and never eat it.

* crawls into corner* :D

I like peanut butter (especially peanut butter flavored things) but I would pick sunflower seed butter wayyyyyy over it.

Somewhat similar to me. I don't mind peanut butter (but only the peanut and salt only types, I grew up hating peanut butter and the plainer kinds were a revelation) and like a variety of foods with peanut butter in them (including ice creams), but I tend to like other nut butters better (love greek yogurt with nut butter) and adore tahini as an addition to some other foods. I've not tried straight sunflower seed butter (assuming non roasted?), but I am now going to.

So anyway, as a of these preferences and my meh feeling about peanut butter plus it being as high cal as any alternative, I simply never buy or eat peanut butter on its own (I hate peanut butter sandwiches and peanut butter eaten plain from a spoon and think there are better options to put on celery, including nothing at all).

I like all my nut butters smooth, so that is the correct answer to the OP's question.

Heresy, I'm sure, but I suspect part of the peanut butter charm is a lot of people loved it as a kid so it's sentimental in addition to tasty. I dreaded it as a kid (except with chocolate), so now I'm like "it's fine."

As an aside, I was on a plane earlier this evening, and was thinking about how I never buy or eat peanuts either (I buy other nuts), but on a plane, due to old-time associations, I want my peanuts! (We got pretzels, normally I wouldn't have bothered with them, but I wanted a salt fix for some reason.)
  • Sm3018
    Sm3018 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ingredients that contain only peanuts
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    So not Nutter Butters. Yum
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Nutritionally speaking, the peanut butter that contains the least amount of sugar and other additives in it is the best for you.

Then, all you are eating is peanuts that have been pulverized into a paste that you can smooth out w/olive or peanut oil so that you can actually spread it. You can make this yourself in a food processor or w/a mortar & pestle but few people care to go to that much trouble and frankly it really doesn't taste that good w/o the sugar, salt and other stuff that's "bad" for you in it.

I snack on Skippy Creamy straight out of the jar. It's loaded w/sugar but I only eat 1-2 tbsp at a time only 1-2x/wk at most. So, it's just a guilty food pleasure for me.

I have no problem spreading peanut that doesn't have additional olive or peanut oil. I usually save my nut-butter making for things I can't find in the store (e.g., smoked almond butter, pistachio butter), and buy Smuckers Natural (creamy) or some other brand of peanut butter that contains nothing but peanuts and salt. You do have to stir it when you first open it. I can't stand the taste of sweet peanut butter. To me, peanut butter is supposed to be a savory flavor.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Powdered peanut butter like PB2 has a lot less fat in it and tastes about 75% as good as normal peanut butter when mixed up to a paste with a little water. You may want to give it a try and swap out your regular PB for this every now and then if you’re looking to cut calories.