How badly have you ever misread a calorie label and got a horrible shock later?

Options

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Ramen. What an eye opener!! And TWO servings?? Puh-lease.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    For a month or so years ago I stopped at Sonic a couple of days a week for a chicken salad. Since I don’t eat salad dressing, and lettuce, tomatoes and chicken are all low calorie, why even worry about how many calories. Then I looked it up. Then I realized, if the chicken is breaded, deep fried chicken nuggets, it’s probably not low calorie.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    The serving size thing is something I look for, though I still get caught out by it sometimes.

I once got a sub from a sandwich chain and thought the calorie counts on the menu were suspiciously low, but went with it anyway. I later checked their website and found that those numbers were for the fillings only, the hoagie roll was separate and not included in that total.

The sandwich chain got me too. Who would've thought it wasn't counting the bread online!
  • pandareads
    pandareads Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One of the local supermarkets makes dinner for two to go and one night I picked up crab cakes with a yummy sauce, a roll, and asparagus. I couldn’t find a nutrition label so I looked it up on here and it said 600-something. I know the database here isn’t always accurate, but the portion was bordering on small so I thought that sounded about right. Cleaning up after eating I found the label on the outer bag. 1800 for one half of the meal for two. That was a sad day.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    The serving size thing is something I look for, though I still get caught out by it sometimes.

I once got a sub from a sandwich chain and thought the calorie counts on the menu were suspiciously low, but went with it anyway. I later checked their website and found that those numbers were for the fillings only, the hoagie roll was separate and not included in that total.

The sandwich chain got me too. Who would've thought it wasn't counting the bread online!

I am another victim of a sub shop not including the bread calories.
  • mariececilia10
    mariececilia10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    cdudley628 wrote: »

This is ridiculous and should seriously be illegal. So annoying.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Bought a bottle of “diet” raspberry lemonade. A large, for the family, sized bottle.
    Drank entire bottle in one day cuz it was so so Delicious and only 50/100 cals or something for entire thing.
    Hubby pointed out later that night (after I raved about how good the lemonade was) that is was not diet at all.
    Full cals, full sugar 🤦🏼‍♀️
    The bottles look exactly the same!
    Now I’m an avid avid checker lol
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    cdudley628 wrote: »

It's not Subway is it? I've been getting a 6" turkey with no cheese and thinking I'm eating 300 calories... because that's what the website says. Am I wrong?
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    @torxa i just checked the subway website and they did include the bread. This is the footnote they have -

"Sandwich nutrition values include 9-Grain Wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers and cucumbers. Values do not include cheese unless noted. "
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    @torxa i just checked the subway website and they did include the bread. This is the footnote they have -

"Sandwich nutrition values include 9-Grain Wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers and cucumbers. Values do not include cheese unless noted. "

Awesome! Cause I've been eating a lot of those. B)<3
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Curious which sandwich store it is. Of course if I get a sub anywhere else it's going to be dripping cheese and all kinds of goodies so the bread is probably the only low calorie part of it lol
  • Jams29
    Jams29 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ramen. What an eye opener!! And TWO servings?? Puh-lease.

Me too!

Also blender's smoothies. The nutrition facts they provide are for 12 oz, not the 24 oz size. I was sad to find that out.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    alondrakar wrote: »
    I picked up one of those Bert & Ernies (or whatever they're called) "protein cookies", because one of the threads here went on and on about them. I though, oh wow, thats not bad til I realized a single cookie was 2 servings. Come on, guys? Seriously?!!!!!

Do you mean the Lenny and Larry cookies? Because same. I had been eating them as a night snack for WEEKS before realizing I was eating two servings instead of one. Never had them again.

I work in a supplement retailer and see this happen a lot!! I tell my customers who are new that there are more than one serving in many packages, the Lenny and Larry being a prime example. Not to mention full of sugar, gluten / wheat and lower protein
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    Powdered Almond and powdered peanut butter. I weighed a tablespoon at 12 grams (after running out way faster by measuring than it should have),the label states 2 tablespoons is 12 grams! I was using 4 to 8 , thinking that 4 tbsp. is 100 calories and 8 is 200. 4 tbsp is 200 and 8 is 400.

• cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Not quite the same thing, but someone made a meal plan for me, and they put down 4 rashers of bacon. I didn't know what a rasher was, so I celebrated with 4 pieces of middle bacon (or 8 rashers).

90xkvh3llwn5.jpg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    That's not a big loss if it kept you sustained until 5. Had it really been 250 calories, you might have consumed 350 more by then. It does suck when you don't account for the calories, though. I remember going shopping with my sister and we felt hungry, so she decided to get a couple of hot dogs to eat on the go. I glanced at the website, 350 calories. Meh, not a big deal. Something felt wrong, it looked like the bun alone would be 300 calories. When I went home, I double checked, it turned out they had two sizes and the one we had was 700+ calories.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    My recent surprise was actually a good one. I've been eating guacamole on a piece of mini Naan almost daily for weeks. A few days ago, I just happened to notice that the serving size I've been logging all this time has been for two pieces, when I only eat one. I'm not going to pat myself on the back, though. Hopefully this has just been helping to even out the multiple other mistakes I've been making that are not in my favor.

My good surprise was with Oreo McFlurry. I had always logged it as a regular size because they only sell one size here. Regular size in the database is 570 calories. Turns out our regular size is 340 calories, not 570, and I always thought 570 looked about right because it's large compared to my usual ice cream serving. I don't know how it did not occur to me that the cup didn't look like a 12 oz cup.
  • Frenchgrad
    Frenchgrad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I was looking at Subway for lunch. They had some new sandwiches that looked good so I wanted to see what the nutrition would be on the calculator. I chose one of the flavors and all my fave toppings and was happily surprised to see it was only around 300 calories! That’s when I realized that I was looking at the “weight in grams” column!

I had to pick something else; the actual calorie count was higher than what I had room for.