Getting discouraged Maintenance people how did you get through the rough patches?

Options
I was a success story. My first attempt at more than 20 pounds was 1995 when I started WW to loose the "baby fat" after my 2nd child was born. It came off quickly. I learned portion control and loved 5ks and 10ks just walking. He's now 24 and getting married in January.

There would be several more focused attempts to make it a lifestyle and then life would get in the way.

I was successful again when I decided I was going to be Fifty, Fit and Fabulous.
Joined the gym, did races and WW.
Within 6 months I was down 35 pounds and stronger than ever.

Change in careers meant one year of no gym WW or races.

I am now in a job I love. Started back to the gym in Oct but I am not seeing results. My target this time is for it to be the last time. In other words loose it and conquer maintenance.

This time it's 70 pounds I am trying to get rid of. I know that won't happen by January so my January goal is the 35 pounds I know I 've done before.

I really am going all out at the gym and staying in my calories on MFP.

I've lost 8 pounds since Oct but the scale is messing with my head. It can go up 4 pounds in one day or down 2. So have I really list anything? And if I
did that's only 1 pound a month. My clothes fit better some days and others it looks like NOTHING has changed.

I am working so hard and just getting exhausted.

So for those of you who have made the breakthrough how did you keep at it full speed ahead when you didn't see results?!

The tape measure says 7 inches overall but there's so much that needs to go you can't tell that either.

Very frustrated but I WILL NOT QUIT!

Replies

• carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yep. Learned about weighing food and portion control in WW. And about writing every bite, lick and taste. Will read your links too. Can never have too much knowledge.

I texted my Zumba instructor at the gym to see if she has any ideas or if they have a food plan.

Reading up on the water. Thanks for the info. That's a weak area for me that I am working on.

I'm doing what worked before. It just doesn't seem to be working this time.

But I will not give up!

What kept you going when you were/are pushing hard and not seeing results?

I know I am not giving up but I am also waiting for the energy to kick in and to feel good again.

It's been a teary day if you know what I mean.

• placeboBL
    placeboBL Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above. You have to be consistent with weighing all of your food and being completely honest with yourself about what you’re eating.

Seven pounds is a great start. Some basic math suggests you’re at roughly a 100 calorie deficit per day, on average:

[7 lbs x 3500 calories = 24,500 calorie deficit
    24,500 calories/8 months = 3,062.5 monthly deficit
    3,062.5 calories/30 days = 102 daily calorie deficit average]

A deficit is better than a surplus, but this isn’t going to lead to quick weight loss. At this rate, you can expect to be another 7lbs down by January. If you want to lose 35 by then, you need to be at a greater deficit.
  • placeboBL
    Options
    Apologies, that math is for seven pounds rather than the eight you’ve lost. So it is closer to a 116 calorie deficit.

Also note: if you’re back in the gym after a while, inches are a better indicator than pounds. If you’re building muscle, the scale is going to go down much slower. Don’t get discouraged by that — being too focused on a number can cause stress and therefore weight retention.
  • carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    placeboBL wrote: »
    Apologies, that math is for seven pounds rather than the eight you’ve lost. So it is closer to a 116 calorie deficit.

Also note: if you’re back in the gym after a while, inches are a better indicator than pounds. If you’re building muscle, the scale is going to go down much slower. Don’t get discouraged by that — being too focused on a number can cause stress and therefore weight retention.

So more cardio since cardio burns more calories but still do strength training. I am terrible at Math.

I go every day for one hour. Either HIIT, Spin, Zumba or alternate days between 30 minutes cardio 30 minutes machines and alternate upper machines one day/ lower body machines next. On the weekend I do a full body workout the trainer gave me when I joined (weighted ball, TRX bands, weighted bar, ropes and ab work)

I could add a 45 minute walk or bike ride in the mornings before work and gym after work like I am currently doing.

And continuing to weigh and log every bite.

Placebo how did you handle your rough spots?
  • placeboBL
    Options
    Cardio does burn more calories than weights, yes. Adding a walk in the morning could absolutely help towards your goals.

Generally speaking, I got through the rough patches with just consistency and patience. I weigh myself monthly or bi-weekly, so I’m not discouraged by water weight, salt intake, normal fluctuations. I don’t have a time frame for weight loss, either. I’m okay with slow. Setting a specific weight and time can add unwanted stress to the situation. Change your lifestyle and the pounds will come off. Focus on getting healthy rather than hitting a number on a scale. You don’t want to lose weight for a wedding; you want to lose weight. If you get in the mindset of setting goals for events, then you’re likely to fall out of good rhythm after the event passes.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I am not in maintenance yet. I too have a problem with the scale. So I am only weighing myself once a month. I just weighed after 28 days. I have my hubby hide the scale from me. Then when I am ready, will ask him to bring it down. I feel like I may keep it here but why I would do that I don't know since whatever the scale says is never enough. So really for me, I should adhere to once a month. Hugs
  • rajjivahaloh
    rajjivahaloh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You asked how to cope, how to feel positive and encouraged, when the scale isn't really budging despite exercise, calorie care, and excellent tracking.

In those phases, I do feel frustrated and a bit demoralized.

What helps me cope:

*I vividly imagine (almost meditate on) the thrill and pride and joy when I do see my midpoint goal. So it's like I borrow some of the joy from the future, really feel it, let it fill me up.

*I visualize the change-to-date in butter blocks. Even if including all fluctuations, you imagined "only" five blocks of butter stuck to your sides then falling off, it can help reinforce how much you've achieved.

*I listen to the imagined words of my weight loss support person (my wonderful, funny doctor), saying kind and encouraging things in response to my discouragement.

*I temporarily adjust my MFP profile to go for 1.5 lb per week vs 1 lb.

*I reduce cardio to versions that reduce stress on (cortisol in) the body and increase frequency of weights. That just brings quicker and better results for me.

*I adjust my macronutrient goals (to more protein, more fat, less carbohydrates) for improved results.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I initially lost 95 lbs. I don’t think there is such a thing as maintenance as I consistently gained on maintenance. Also, I got a Fitbit December 2017 and have consistently gained since using it!!! So, now I’m struggling to lose 20lbs. I’m soon to be 65 and I usually walk a minimum of 4.5 miles a day and incorporate a 1/2 hour resistant band workout about 3 times a week. I’m diligent in logging my food and like you, I’m having little success. I know no other person of my age that moves so much and eats so little and like you, I’m exhausted!
    Unless I take my calories down to 1000 or less a day, I see no way of getting this damn weight off!!! (I’m at 1270 Calories per day now)
    Maybe I should just resign myself to be fat and happy???!!!!
    If you figure it out, let me know.😉.. but maybe you’ll find comfort in knowing you’re not the only struggling and “teary “ at times. Hugs to you, my friend.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    You ask how we that have been successful keep it going - so remember my answer is the truth I discovered for myself...

A lifestyle change has to be exactly that - a change in how you live. My truth is simple. When I’m “struggling” to lose a few pounds - there really isn’t a problem - I’m just eating to *kitten* much food. Yes, when I’m on my bike and logging 150+ miles a week or making 10+ mile long runs I can eat all the foods... But like now (I’m recovering from a minor surgery) when I can’t exercise I have to make some food choices. Biscuits and gravy for breakfast? Nooooo, cereal and fruit. Beers and BBQ? Nooooo, a little bit of BBQ and unsweet tea. A sandwich and chips for lunch? Nooooo, a sandwich...

This is how it works for me. My metabolism isn’t damaged. It’s not a problem because I’m 57. It’s not hormones, or sugar, or ___________. To lose weight I eat less food. I don’t go nuts and starve. I just eat less food. It works. When I get frustrated I realize that is just my mind throwing a temper tantrum because life is “unfair” and I can’t eat whatever I want. When that happens I pull up my big boy pants and choose - to be fat - or - to lose the weight. Make a choice. Then choose actions that lead to the desired result. The action is eat less food.

This is a bit harsh but it’s the truth. At least for me.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Regular strength training is GOOD - although it will slow down the scale number from dropping to start, the cumulative effect of having that extra muscle will start to snowball if you consistently keep it up. That muscle will use up more calories in your resting state than the fat.

More cardio is only good for the short term. Remember - you have to make changes that you can maintain for the rest of your life. Can you really afford more than an hour a day dedicated to exercise on a regular basis for the rest of your life? Can you really give up (insert "bad" food here) for the rest of your life? You have to make changes that you can maintain forever. The basic equation is the same, regardless of what foods you choose to eat or not eat - or what exercise you do - You just have to burn more calories than you eat consistently.

I play a little mental trick on myself. I change the calorie number on my exercise to 1. That means, when I log the exercise, it only adds 1 calorie to my allotment for the day. If I see them, I eat them. So, I just fix it so I don't see the calories as "available."

And yeah, the scale is going to move all over the place. It just does. Sodium, Insufficient hydration, the day and the phase of the moon will affect your water weight. Pay it no mind. If you are exercising and eating mindfully, it will all shake out. If you can't get past that - they hide the scale.

Just remember - if you are doing this - with long-term life changes that you intend to keep on with - then it doesn't matter how fast or how slow the number on the scale changes... as long as it keeps going down -and you continue with your new lifestyle - then eventually, you will get where you want to go.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Without being technical here’s my basic successful approach:
    1. Avoid all and any fast food / pizza / deli
    2. Avoid all and any sugary or carbonated drinks (yes, water only and one black coffee)
    3. Avoid all and any pasta breads cakes etc
    4. Avoid processed / frozen / foods
    5. Control portions
    6. Breakfast always same protein drink
    7. Dinner always same yogurt & berries
    8. Lunch flexible healthy high protein meal.
    9. Little to none alcohol.
    10. Keep healthy snacks around always.
    11. Avoid menus and restaurants.

Plus some sort of moving excercise.

Really, the name of the game is to make the hard cut of elimination of bad foods and put less food in mouth....only controlled portions of healthy foods go in mouth. Your body gets used to it. I make it a game with my tracking so I’m very goal oriented. This strategy works!

I have successfully maintained for years and I don't follow any of these. This strategy is not good for most people.

I didn't make any changes that I couldn't sustain long term. I would feel burnt out and deprived if I couldn't have my favorite foods or pushed myself to the extreme with exercise. It helps to look at it as what you will be doing for the rest of your life and not a temporary thing to lose weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!