Acid reflux, Gerd, Barrett's esophagus.

Options

Replies

• HookGripDeadlifts
    HookGripDeadlifts Posts: 30 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    PPIs are absolutely horrible for you if taken long term (much higher risk of dementia, increased risk of death among many other things). If you’re using these on a regular basis please do some research on them. Nasty stuff outside of some short term use.

Protein pump inhibitors (PPI) reduce the amount of acid in your stomach. Acid reflux, gerd, contrary to popular belief, is usually the result of too little acid in the stomach as opposed to too much.

PPIs just compound the issues. Gut health is so important and having a lack of acid makes the digestive process much more difficult. As a result, this allows things to happen in the gut that shouldn’t.

I’ve been diagnosed with gerd in the past and dealt with it for years. Finally i took matters into my own hands and educated myself on it and haven’t had any symptoms in over 9 months. Keep in mind this is after feeling symptoms on a daily basis.

Long story short, here’s what I did.

Weened myself off of my doctor prescribed PPi. Don’t cold turkey because your symptoms will be exponentially worse.

Introduced more acid to my stomach (Betaine HCL with pepsin), which was doing the opposite of what I was ignorantly prescribed over and over again (PPI) lowering my already low stomach acid.

Betaine HCL can do wonders for your reflux. It adds additional acid into your stomach that you’re most likely low in. After a week or so I started noticing a positive change. After a couple months of HCL and some probiotics, my gerd was gone and haven’t had a single episode since.

Don’t take my word for it, do the research. It’s worked for me, and for many others.

I hope this information will be helpful to someone out there. It was a game changer for me.
  • Rebeccacook68
    Rebeccacook68 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh and I have a wedge pillow also

• Rebeccacook68
    Rebeccacook68 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi can I ask where did you buy the wedge pillow from? Thanks
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    My reflux is caused by eating/drinking proteins especially with little fat, and eggs in all shapes and forms (especially egg yolk). If I avoid these I'm usually fine. I can't eat more fats as my body doesn't digest them properly. Also learnt last week that my gallbladder is close to useless, which might explain a thing to two. I'm not overweight (only ever have been overweight 5kg or so), don't take antacids other than when really, really necessary and all the other reasons in that article don't suit me either. Everyone is different and everyone has different reasons. If I went keto I would basically starve. If I went higher protein I'd damage my oesophagus big time. Carbs are the way to go for me.

Why do I have gallbladder issues? Bad luck probably. Of all the risk factors only female and fair (very pale and blond/ginger) fits. I'm neither fat, nor runs in family, nor over 40 when it started (30 I'd say), nor had children. Bad luck.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with mild reflux esophagitis (through endoscopy) way back in the 90s after some varied digestive issues. I've never had heartburn, but I did occasionally get some acid coming back up and often felt queasy. I was put on a PPI which seemed to fix it. Stayed on that for many, many years. About 9 years ago, I had a follow up endoscopy. Reflux still noted but I now also had tons of polyps in my stomach. These can be caused by the PPI. About 3 years ago, I decided to wean off the PPIs because I felt scared I was on them too long. I've felt fine mostly off of them but I do have to moderate. A lot of fatty foods or coffee will kill me. I just had another endoscopy last week. Visually, my doctor said my stomach looked better than ever; however, after the biopsies came back, it still showed changes in the esophagus due to reflux. My doctor wants me back on a PPI, but I don't want to. I have no symptoms and it "looks" fine, but yeah, I have some changes. Not sure if they are a big deal or not.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @CMNVA this sounds similar to the history of a 65 year old friend that passed last Christmas with throat cancer that spread to other sites. Check with another MD at least ASAP based on what you just typed.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    PPIs are absolutely horrible for you if taken long term (much higher risk of dementia, increased risk of death among many other things). If you’re using these on a regular basis please do some research on them. Nasty stuff outside of some short term use.

Protein pump inhibitors (PPI) reduce the amount of acid in your stomach. Acid reflux, gerd, contrary to popular belief, is usually the result of too little acid in the stomach as opposed to too much.

PPIs just compound the issues. Gut health is so important and having a lack of acid makes the digestive process much more difficult. As a result, this allows things to happen in the gut that shouldn’t.

I’ve been diagnosed with gerd in the past and dealt with it for years. Finally i took matters into my own hands and educated myself on it and haven’t had any symptoms in over 9 months. Keep in mind this is after feeling symptoms on a daily basis.

Weened myself off of my doctor prescribed PPi. Don’t cold turkey because your symptoms will be exponentially worse.

Introduced more acid to my stomach (Betaine HCL with pepsin), which was doing the opposite of what I was ignorantly prescribed over and over again (PPI) lowering my already low stomach acid.

Betaine HCL can do wonders for your reflux. It adds additional acid into your stomach that you’re most likely low in. After a week or so I started noticing a positive change. After a couple months of HCL and some probiotics, my gerd was gone and haven’t had a single episode since.

Don’t take my word for it, do the research. It’s worked for me, and for many others.

I hope this information will be helpful to someone out there. It was a game changer for me.

I developed Barrett's esophagus from following this advice. I got scoped and my doctor said it wasn't cancer...yet...but it was bad.

I started taking a PPI immediately. Got scoped again six months and there was some improvement but it was still considered Barrett's. It was another year before I was downgraded from Barrett's to GERD.

PPIs may have side effects but esophageal cancer is worse.
  • HookGripDeadlifts
    edited June 2019
    Options
    PPIs have their place, in the short term. They don’t solve the problem. But it does give your body time to heal any sores that your acid may be eroding. Long term It only masks an underlining issue.

There’s a reason the FDA has only approved PPIs use for 4-8 weeks depending on your issues.

I know the fda isn’t the end all be all, but it gives us another reason to avoid long term use.

Im just bringing awareness to a major issue. Hoping maybe some of you will further research this and realize there is another way. If you’ve found peace then great. I just want others to be aware there are alternatives to a multi billion dollar drug that is extremely over prescribed.
    liz0269 wrote: »

I developed Barrett's esophagus from following this advice. I got scoped and my doctor said it wasn't cancer...yet...but it was bad.

I started taking a PPI immediately. Got scoped again six months and there was some improvement but it was still considered Barrett's. It was another year before I was downgraded from Barrett's to GERD.

PPIs may have side effects but esophageal cancer is worse.

• HookGripDeadlifts
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Also, for anyone who decides to ignorantly “woo” me before doing the research. Explain to me where I’m wrong.

Fact: Long term use of PPIs are very dangerous for many people.

Fact: Gerd is generally caused from too little acid production, not too much.

Please show me a credible source proving me wrong. Because theres plenty of sources proving me right.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Also, for anyone who decides to ignorantly “woo” me before doing the research. Explain to me where I’m wrong.

Please show me a credible source proving me wrong. Because theres plenty of sources proving me right.

The reason I woo'd you is because you promoted a cure for all, which can be dangerous in some cases as demonstrated here by other users. Yes, taking PPIs constantly is not good, but what you're doing is not good either. An individual solution needs to be found for every individual here, not broad general statements.
  • HookGripDeadlifts
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

The reason I woo'd you is because you promoted a cure for all, which can be dangerous in some cases as demonstrated here by other users. Yes, taking PPIs constantly is not good, but what you're doing is not good either. An individual solution needs to be found for every individual here, not broad general statements.

I brought awareness to the negatives of PPIs and that gerd is typically caused by lack of acid.

I promoted doing research which we should all do. We are going to care about our own body’s more than any doctor will.

I explained what worked for me and why it worked for me. Again, it’s not for everyone but it worked for me and may work for you.
  • CMNVA
    Options
    @CMNVA this sounds similar to the history of a 65 year old friend that passed last Christmas with throat cancer that spread to other sites. Check with another MD at least ASAP based on what you just typed.

I am seeing an doctor for my digestive issues but I'm afraid I don't understand what happened to your friend. Did they have throat cancer as a result of digestive issues?
  • HookGripDeadlifts
    Options
    liz0269 wrote: »
    PPIs have their place, in the short term. They don’t solve the problem. But it does give your body time to heal any sores that your acid may be eroding. Long term It only masks an underlining issue.

There’s a reason the FDA has only approved PPIs use for 4-8 weeks depending on your issues.

I know the fda isn’t the end all be all, but it gives us another reason to avoid long term use.

Im just bringing awareness to a major issue. Hoping maybe some of you will further research this and realize there is another wa. If you’ve found peace then great.

I feel like you're not hearing me. I didn't "find peace."
    I was actively doing what you are saying...the betaine HCL, probiotics, dietary changes, etc. It didn't work for me. It gave me Barrett's esophagus which is precancerous. But the PPIs did work.

I used to be like you...believing that big pharma was all wrong. Calling doctors ignorant. (Your exact words..."ignorantly prescribed.")

Until I developed rheumatoid arthritis and all of the alternative garbage didn't do squat. And my acid reflux got worse with the alternative stuff. And the alternative "safe and natural " antidepressants I took blew up my liver...something that wouldn't have been caught if it weren't for the regular liver monitoring I needed for my RA meds. I can go on.

I am all for natural stuff for the basic garden variety headaches and colds. But there are serious health issues that modern medicine is much better qualified to deal with. I learned that lesson the hard way.

First of all, let me say I’m sorry you’ve had these issues with your health. My finding peace statement was because I understood it as you know the negatives of ppis but the positives outweighed the negatives in yours and your doctors mind.

Believe me, I’m not some anti medicine all natural guy. I’m grateful for modern day medicine and the benefits it has. My wife is studying to be an RN because she wants to help people. It’s important.

I feel my doctor was very ignorant in prescribing me ppis over and over and having me take the max 80mg a day. Many doctors make this same mistakes. Doctors are human and make mistakes too. Which is why I’ve advocated doing our own research because doctors don’t know everything.

My doctor never informed me of the negatives of long term use of PPIs. He told me I had too much acid which was not the case. I didn’t start feeling better until I got fed up with how I was feeling and did my own research.

Truly I’m just trying to bring awareness and that there are other methods that may work for other individuals.
  • CMNVA
    edited June 2019
    Options

First of all, let me say I’m sorry you’ve had these issues with your health. My finding peace statement was because I understood it as you know the negatives of ppis but the positives outweighed the negatives in yours and your doctors mind.

Believe me, I’m not some anti medicine all natural guy. I’m grateful for modern day medicine and the benefits it has. My wife is studying to be an RN because she wants to help people. It’s important.

I feel my doctor was very ignorant in prescribing me ppis over and over and having me take the max 80mg a day. Many doctors make this same mistakes. Doctors are human and make mistakes too. Which is why I’ve advocated doing our own research because doctors don’t know everything.

My doctor never informed me of the negatives of long term use of PPIs. He told me I had too much acid which was not the case. I didn’t start feeling better until I got fed up with how I was feeling and did my own research.

Truly I’m just trying to bring awareness and that there are other methods that may work for other individuals.

I know your post wasn't directed at me, but I get what you're saying. Some doctors are very lax about prescribing PPIs without thoroughly investigating the problem. I think they are fine to use short term but if you are going to stay on them for a lifetime, then you should be having a full investigation into the problem.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »

I am seeing an doctor for my digestive issues but I'm afraid I don't understand what happened to your friend. Did they have throat cancer as a result of digestive issues?

The best that I remember he said it started out as Barrett's esophagus several years before his death. Due to the lack of insurance he put off treatment too long and the cancer was spreading fast when he got insurance coverage.

He hung on for a couple years but the end was really bad.
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options

First off, GERD is really caused by a loose or relaxed lower esophageal sphincter which allows stomach contents to reflux up into the esophagus. Whether those contents are high acid or low acid, no matter what amount it is, the esophagus can't handle it. So, too much exposure to digested stomach contents starts to cause changes in the esophagus.

There are some cases of digestive discomfort caused by low stomach acid. But it is not the #1 cause of GERD.

Having the loose LES is as well as possible having a good LES but so much pressure in the abdomen from being over weight (or also hiatal hernia) that pushes contents into the esophagus.

PPIs mitigate the acid load going into your esophagus but they don't stop the stuff going up there. Only surgery will do that.

People with Barrett's absolutely need to be on PPIs for a lifetime. They must balance the risks.

Where I think PPIs get overprescribed is for those that just abuse themselves with food and being overweight. It's easy just to pop that pill to get rid of the discomfort rather than eat sensibly and maintain a healthy weight.

This. My daughter was born with GERD and it was a nightmare. She was constantly in pain and projectile vomited everything within an hour of feeding - breast milk, pureed food, anything. Although she wasn't my 1st baby I was classed as a neurotic mum who didn't know how to deal with a bit of burping. I solved that by feeding her in the car then taking her into the doctors waiting room an hour early for her appointment. Right on cue. Right on cue.

As she was still putting on weight and growing as per the chart, I was told to bring her back if it was still the same in 12 months as babies usually grow out of it. So fast forward to 14 months old and she was finally seen at the hospital. She had a couple of stitches in the LES as it hadn't formed correctly and was too loose. It was an immediate fix.

The hospital consultant had to wait 2 weeks before he could do the small operation but said in the meantime to only lie her on her left side and to use this position as much as possible. I always remembered this so whenever any of us got reflux at night I'd say to lie on the left and it worked. It might be a helpful aid for occasional reflux but doesn't replace having it checked by a doctor.

sleeping-on-the-left-side.jpg?w=600

• HookGripDeadlifts
    edited June 2019
    Options

I didn't "woo" you but I thought I'd chime in on some things you've said.

First off, GERD is really caused by a loose or relaxed lower esophageal sphincter which allows stomach contents to reflux up into the esophagus. Whether those contents are high acid or low acid, no matter what amount it is, the esophagus can't handle it. So, too much exposure to digested stomach contents starts to cause changes in the esophagus.

There are some cases of digestive discomfort caused by low stomach acid. But it is not the #1 cause of GERD.

Having the loose LES is as well as possible having a good LES but so much pressure in the abdomen from being over weight (or also hiatal hernia) that pushes contents into the esophagus.

PPIs mitigate the acid load going into your esophagus but they don't stop the stuff going up there. Only surgery will do that.

People with Barrett's absolutely need to be on PPIs for a lifetime. They must balance the risks.

Where I think PPIs get overprescribed is for those that just abuse themselves with food and being overweight. It's easy just to pop that pill to get rid of the discomfort rather than eat sensibly and maintain a healthy weight.

I appreciate your input on the matter.

Here’s one of many sources that dives into this discussion. May find some of it interesting.

Nutritional Interventions for Gastroesophageal Reflux, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and Hypochlorhydria: A Case Report

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4991651/

It does support that adding hcl is beneficial to some. Causes of reflux so on and so forth. Understanding it’s not for everyone. But again, it may benefit some individuals who are ready to try something else when they can’t seem to get it resolved with their doctor.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    This is exactly why I started my weight loss journey.
    A little over 3 years ago I was having trouble breathing, went to see a pulmonologist and he said I had COPD and gave me inhalers. My breathing became even worse, I kept going back to the doc with no results, he said I'd just have to deal with it. Shortly after this I started having trouble eating, I'd cut my foood up into pea sized bites and it would STILL get stuck in my throat.
    One night about 6 to 8 months later I laid down to sleep and a huge whoosh of liquid (felt huge anyway) came up of stomach acid, I started gasping for air. I was excited though, now I knew WHY I was having trouble breathing; stomach acid! I made an appointment with a GI doc and tests were run, my diagnosis was a bad H Pylori infection, it was making it so the stomach valve (sphincter actually) was staying open and acid was getting into my lungs. I had a triple course of antibiotics, acid reducers, and was put on a specialized diet. At night I had to sleep on 8 pillows and a bed wedge just so I could rest without gasping for air!
    My doctor said weight loss would help, ever since that day I have been researching, counting calories, and working out. I am down 86 pounds with 40 to 45 left to lose. I am still sleeping at an angle, but now with a bed wedge and 2 pillows instead of 8, no acid meds, and very rare trouble breathing. I drink no carbonated beverages, eat lots of veggies and some melon, and cook everything myself. Coffee was the only thing I refused to give up, but everything else went out the window.
    I'd say diet modification along with the weight loss has helped greatly! The meds never really did work for me at all. If in the end I am still stuck with acid coming up after all my efforts I may get the Fundipication surgery, but since I am making progress (very slow, but progress) I'd like to not have to. Also I don't eat after 7pm (dinner is at 5:30-6, I go to bed at 1am) so I've been sort of on intermittent pasting without meaning to be. Altogether my efforts are working, slowly but it's working.