Programs

Options
Hi all! I'm hoping to gain some advice concerning weight lifting/strength programs and splits that you have had success with. But first, a little background on myself... Currently, I aim to workout 5-6X a week; 2 upper (chest/shoulder & back/bicep/tricep), 2 lower, 2 cardio (most often kickboxing), abs are usually included on most days. I work with a trainer approximately 2X a month as well, focusing on form and progression. My ultimate goal is to build strength and muscle. Over the past few months I have been cutting and tracking with MFP before starting to build; I am 5' 3", and have been hovering around 108-109lbs, ~20% bf. My trainer is great with providing me with workouts, and I've also picked up a lot on my own over time, but I am wondering if there are any programs that may follow my current split, that you all have enjoyed to spice things up a bit?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    well, here's a list of programs..
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

My primary recommendation is that you know your goal, follow a workout geared towards that goal, and make sure it's something you can enjoy, that you feel is making a difference. As time goes on you'll be refined what you do, adding or taking away accessory lifts etc. If you find yourself bored or just not motivated, try something new, nothing wrong with that. Best of luck.
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I personally have had the best results using the 5/3/1 program. It’s primary focus is building strength and it’s basically fool proof
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    I have had much better results with full-body workouts two to three times a week than I ever did with programs that focused on different muscle groups on different days, but if I understand your OP correctly, you want to stick with your current split.

To me, it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay a trainer to design a program for you and then just do something different for the sake of variety. Doesn't the program he gave you have progression built into it?