Beyond meat

Options
Hi
Has anyone tried the Beyong meat burger? Any thoughts ?

Replies

• neillc57
    neillc57 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian but I like eating new stuff so when I saw then after all the hype I tried them.
    I found them quite nice to eat. Very fatty though so not much good for diets. I wouldn't say it tasted like a burger. Maybe better in a bun. I just eat mine as it was after pan frying.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed it.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have had two burgers and honestly think they taste just like the real thing (maybe because of the condiments and cheese?) Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to order it again.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did. I thought the texture was surprisingly similar to beef. To me it tasted like tvp.
  • lulabelbo
    lulabelbo Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I grilled the beyond burger and it tasted ok - not exacrly like a real burger but good. They cost $5.somethong atmy Whole Foods. I think most of the cost must be because of the packaging. The 2 burgers are nestled in a mollded to fit plastic tray,wrapped in clear plastic and topped off with a cardboard sleeve. Seeemed like more packaging than you would get from other frozen foods. Because of this and not exceptional taste I would not buy again.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I agree with lulabelbo. I looked at them yesterday in the meat cooler at my local store here in Canada. Two tiny burgers . A hellalotta packaging. Kind of pale, not beefy looking, more like chicken. On a sale flyer for $5.99. For two burgers? 🥴 Didn’t try them.... I bought fresh cucumbers and tomatoes instead.
  • linclass123
    linclass123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've tried them once 🙄 too meat like for me
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I tried it at Carl's Jr. (Hardee's) twice. I enjoyed it the first time. Couldn't tell it apart from real meat. The second time made me a bit nauseous and couldn't even finish half of it. If it matters to you, it's not entirely vegan at Carl's since they cook it on the same grill as the regular burgers.

Saw the "meat" at my grocery store. They are a big expensive but most of that is in the R&D and not just the packaging.

I've tried Impossible Meats too. I didn't realize that they're two separate companies. I much prefer Impossible Meats but that might be because I've eaten it at "fancier" burger places.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I liked them but the calories are a little high for me to eat regularly. We really like the Beyond Hot Italian sausage though! And that I can eat without a bun so it fits better in my calorie goals.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I tried one once at a friends dinner - I liked it and thought all dressed up like a regular burger it was pretty convincing.

But I'm not a vegan and will eat a beef burger on occasion, so I'm not willing to spend on those as they are really expensive. I eat non-meat burgers to have something different, I don't need them to taste like meat, so I normally go with Morningstar burgers, they fit in the budget better and have different taste profiles to choose from.
  • melodyvegan
    melodyvegan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love them. I've been vegan for 10 years and had been eating bean based burgers for the most part (which I still enjoy). Until Beyond Meat, there really wasn't a veggie burger that really won in the taste and texture department. We've come a long way from traditional veggie burgers like the Boca Burger.

I also love it because production of Beyond Meat burger requires 99% less water, 93% less land, and 90% greenhouse gas emissions than a beef burger. That's pretty impressive.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    you should check out the stock today ''BYND''
  • neillc57
    neillc57 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I eat non-meat burgers to have something different, I don't need them to taste like meat, so I normally go with Morningstar burgers, they fit in the budget better and have different taste profiles to choose from.
    I do this too. Tried a bunch of veggie options. Really liked some spicy black bean burgers I had some time ago.
    I don't understand why they had so much fat in the beyond burger. I just stuck mine in a pan without oil (what I always try first) and it was swimming after a short time. They would get me to buy more given I like the taste if it had less calories. I prefer to get my fats via peanuts.

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I wish they had them in my country. I would love to give them a try. For now the best I have available is the fieldburger, which has a pretty good meaty taste, but not really the texture. I am a meat eater, but I like to supplement with meat alternatives at times for ethical/enviornmental reasons. Basically I'm the ideal customer for Beyond Burger.

From what I've heard, the impossible burger is really where it is at. I hope to be able to try both soon and make my own determination.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are big fans (I'm veg, she isn't). I personally prefer the Beyond Burger over the Impossible burger, but it's just preference. Beyond Burger is more like an at-home type patty, Impossible is more of a fast-food type patty. Both good, just different.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Since I went plant based in January I do enjoy a good Beyond Burger for a treat. You really can't taste the difference (had one last night and fooled my 11y/o). I like that it is a good option that has less of a foot print on the environment, but it's still a burger and should be thought of that way and not "health food".
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    neillc57 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I eat non-meat burgers to have something different, I don't need them to taste like meat, so I normally go with Morningstar burgers, they fit in the budget better and have different taste profiles to choose from.
    I do this too. Tried a bunch of veggie options. Really liked some spicy black bean burgers I had some time ago.
    I don't understand why they had so much fat in the beyond burger. I just stuck mine in a pan without oil (what I always try first) and it was swimming after a short time. They would get me to buy more given I like the taste if it had less calories. I prefer to get my fats via peanuts.

It is trying to resemble a meat burger which is why there is more fat. This way you can grill it and it's not dry. It's not marketed as a health food.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I've had it by itself and on a bun. I liked both, definitely noticed the pea protein (I think it was?) after-taste more when having it by itself. It's great on a bun with fixings.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Tastes okay, like a lot of meat-esque burgers. The most realistic non-meat burger is the Impossible Burger.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I thought it was alright. I didn't think it tastes exactly like real meat, but it is the closest I've ever tried. It's close enough that most would probably assume it was meat if they didn't know.