Are my water drinking habits the reason I am always hungry?

Options
amandaeve
amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
I recently heard eating challenge contestants stretch their stomachs out by drinking large amounts of water. I am always thirsty and gulp 16-26 ounces of water in one swig. I usually down a litre in a few minutes at a time and drink about 2-4 litres a day.
I also happen to be hungry all the time. Until now I assumed the fullness sensor was broken in me. Now I'm wondering if I can shrink my stomach by drinking smaller sips of water, and actually get to that feeling of fullness?

I've been trying this for the past week, and its hard because I'm also always thirsty. That, and I usually turn to water when hunger pangs get to be distracting (My thirst has no medical origin and I eat more than enough food in a day). So if I keep trying, I'd love to hear some confirmation that it will actually work.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Please understand, I'm not being mean.

What is your desired weekly weight loss? How close to your final goal are you?
    How much exercise do you log? How much of your exercise calories do you consume?

Do you prioritize any of the macros based on what you know provides satiety to you?

I can't even speculate about your water drinking until I have understanding of more about you.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,591 Member
    Options
    Jerome's questions are all great.

One more that I could throw in -- how's your intake of high-fiber, nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables? Could you be eating things that make your blood sugar spike, followed by hunger?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_hypoglycemia

I have lost a lot of weight (100+) and am definitely not hungry most of the time.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    I trend eating more fiber than MyFitnessPal recommends. I eat about 60% of my calories in carbohydrates everyday. I have played around with my macros a bit trying to find the best ratio for my energy. I do a lot of cardio, about 12 hours a week, so this ratio seems to work best for my energy. Because I like to eat a high-volume a lot of my carbohydrate comes from vegetables and whole grains.
    I am definitely sensitive to simple sugars, especially in the morning. I notice if I eat pancakes or donuts or something sugary early in the day I feel very sluggish. I also feel tired and sluggish if I eat a large meal.my blood and urine has been tested for diabetes several times over the years because that is the first thing a doctor looks at when you explain that you are constantly thirsty. Test results have always been normal.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    that Wikipedia article points out some new testing methods. It doesn't say how new they are but now I'm curious if perhaps I haven't been tested since the new methods have been adopted and there really is a medical basis for me. My boyfriend operates fine on what I call the "American school cafeteria diet" (white bread, pizza, candy, pudding, soft drinks, ice cream, etc). If I eat like him I am very sleepy. I can't handle that food, but it doesn't seem to bother him at all.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Are you bored a lot? Hunger isn’t always physical.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Maybe try increasing your protein. Every body is different. Some people find fat satiating. For me it's carbs and protein. I know when I am constantly hungry, it's because I need a specific macro. I can eat all day, have a full belly and still be hungry because I am not giving my body what it needs.
  • emorrell21
    emorrell21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    liz0269 wrote: »
    Maybe try increasing your protein. Every body is different. Some people find fat satiating. For me it's carbs and protein. I know when I am constantly hungry, it's because I need a specific macro. I can eat all day, have a full belly and still be hungry because I am not giving my body what it needs.

This is true for me as well. If Im not eating enough fat I will feel like Im hungry, regardless of how much Ive actually eaten. Ill eat a few hundred cals of fat and then feel satiety for the reat of the day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I trend eating more fiber than MyFitnessPal recommends. I eat about 60% of my calories in carbohydrates everyday. I have played around with my macros a bit trying to find the best ratio for my energy. I do a lot of cardio, about 12 hours a week, so this ratio seems to work best for my energy. Because I like to eat a high-volume a lot of my carbohydrate comes from vegetables and whole grains.
    I am definitely sensitive to simple sugars, especially in the morning. I notice if I eat pancakes or donuts or something sugary early in the day I feel very sluggish. I also feel tired and sluggish if I eat a large meal.my blood and urine has been tested for diabetes several times over the years because that is the first thing a doctor looks at when you explain that you are constantly thirsty. Test results have always been normal.

I react the same way to pancakes, donuts, and large meals.

What's your protein goal and do you hit it regularly? I am fuller faster on 25% - 30% protein plus hitting the default MFP fiber goal.

However, there were times when I ate mostly plant-based and was presumably getting less protein, but I also felt full, presumably from all the bulk and fiber (lots of rice & beans). There was zero junk/convenience food at that time. Although, being in the subtropics with no AC may have dampened my appetite somewhat.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    So what I'm gathering is that no one thinks you can stretch you stomach by drinking a litre of water in the course of a few minutes.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

You can stretch it. It's flexible that way.

The hormonal signals that we understand, and that understanding may be incomplete, are leptin and ghrelin.
    One is "feed me", the other is "stop feeding me".

The sluggishness you feel after a sweet meal is something I also recognize happening in me after doughnuts or rice for breakfast. That's the sugar crash. It's well understood.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/why-am-i-always-thirsty#2

There is nothing good or trivial about excessive thirst. Please consult a doctor.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I went to google and found this page. Many gastric bypass patients wonder whether they will stretch their stomach out post surgery by drinking too much water at once, and this doctor said no, because liquids pass through your system quickly... I don't know about how reliable this web site is though.

https://primesurgicare.com/can-drinking-water-stretch-stomach-after-gastric-bypass/
  • amandaeve
    Options
    I consulted my doctor and they recommended I take vitamin B12 supplements. I eat a balanced, whole diet so I don't feel I'm deficienct in anything. So, I don't know.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for diabetes, excessive thirst can be a sign.

Im the opposite, I hardly ever feel thirsty and struggle to get enough fluids in me.
  • susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i suggest intermittent fasting. it sounds like it would work for you.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Two to four liters of water a day is not excessive. Maybe you just get really thirsty and that’s why you drink so much at once. I typically drink about two liters of water on a minimally active day. My sister is a runner, and and drinks a gallon of water daily.
    Although I have read that feeling hungry can be a sign that one needs to drink water, I have never felt satisfied by drinking water when I’m hungry.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I consulted my doctor and they recommended I take vitamin B12 supplements. I eat a balanced, whole diet so I don't feel I'm deficienct in anything. So, I don't know.

I eat a balanced diet and am still deficient in D and iron. I recommend actual testing for deficiencies.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    i suggest intermittent fasting. it sounds like it would work for you.

He struggles with feelings of hunger already, even when eating. How does that make him a good candidate for fasting?
    Intermittent fasting works better for people who are comfortable going long periods without eating, not people who struggle with satiety throughout the day.