Advice: Best workout program for starting out and obese

Would like some advice... I’d want to start working out but I’m so out of shape and overweight. I have bad knees and don’t want to start out so tough that I don’t stick with it.
Any advice or specific program you started out with? Walking can be painful for long periods so C25K isn’t an option.
I’ve never tried yoga....
Trying to start slow and work my way up.

Replies

• flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    I would walk. Lots of walking. I have bad knees too but walking seems to be fine for me.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    I think that walking is a great beginner exercise. Just getting the body moving, even if you have to break it out in to several short walks during the day, is still going to be beneficial. My first two months back, I only walked. It's just within the last 2 weeks that I've started adding additional workouts at the gym. I'm still taking it slow. I signed up for Pilates to help with my core strength and am just starting to add some resistance training as well. Give yourself some time, doing too much too soon can lead to injury.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Would like some advice ... I’d want to start working out but I’m so out of shape and overweight. I have bad knees and don’t want to start out so tough that I don’t stick with it.
    Any advice or specific program you started out with? Walking can be painful for long periods so C25K isn’t an option.
    I’ve never tried yoga....
    Trying to start slow and work my way up.

Start out responsibly, and consider wearing:
    • Ankle support
    • Knee support
    • Lower back support

In my case, I only needed the ankle and knee support, which I didn't have ready with me to start, but quickly discovered was necessary.

I walked. First phase was when I weighed-in at 859 lbs early 2012. The second phase was when I first entered myfitnesspal, weighing 387 lbs, in November 2012.
  • emagee77
    emagee77 Posts: 3 Member
    I've been having a lot of success with the elliptical! It doesn't feel like I'm hurting anything when I'm doing it, and it's definitely increased my resistance. Instead of getting winded after 5 minutes, now I can comfortably keep going and don't get that feeling until 15 minutes in. It burns more calories for me than running, and isn't as uncomfortable on my body.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Start off slow and DON'T over do it! I think a lot of people go all in, get too sore or injure themselves, then they give up. :(
    There are a ton of "walking" videos on YouTube, or get outside and do a short brisk walk. As you build up you can add small hand weights, or ankle weights.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Get a membership to a YMCA/community pool! Youtube has tons of pool exercises, but just power-walking laps is a fannnntastic workout that is not rough on the knees. In my area there are aquatic fitness classes, but you can create your own checklist program. Pick 3-5 "moves" to work on like. "Today I will jog in the pool for 15 minutes, then I will lean on the wall and bicycle my legs for 5 min, then I will do underwater bicep curls for 10 min. Rest, repeat!"
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Yes, if you have access to a gym with a pool, some sort of aquasize or pool exercises are a great way to get moving without putting stress on joints. Walking is also good, but a bit harder if you live somewhere hot (you have to have the discipline to do it early when it’s still cool).