Chicken stock

shezian
shezian Posts: 9 Member
I buy Campbell’s chicken stock in liquid form to make soups with it. It seems the calorie amount seems so low. I wonder if it’s accurate. Anyone know how much calories it has?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Commercial chicken stock seems to mostly be about 20 cals per cup, with a range of 10-30 calories pretty much encompassing the lot.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list?SYNCHRONIZER_TOKEN=0a955a55-7e6d-41c2-bee9-67bdf60a0df5&SYNCHRONIZER_URI=%2Fndb%2Fsearch%2Flist&qt=&qlookup=%5Cchicken+stock&ds=&manu=
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Actually you don't even need to bother to buy a chicken for stock. Next time you eat any bone in chicken (including store bought rotisserie chicken) just save the bones for making stock. If your meal does not generate enough bones to go to the trouble right away (ie a couple of drumsticks) toss into a ziplock bag in the freezer until you've collected enough bones. Simmer gently with a halved onion (you can leave the skin on which gives colour) and whatever vegetable oddments that are lurking at the bottom of your fridge for a few hours. I actually save my vegetable peels and trimmings in a tupperware box in the fridge that gets used up on stock making day.

Absolutely! We buy a Costco chicken every time we go because it is such a great deal. I used to bring it home and debone it then throw away the bones, skin fat etc. Now I boil it on the stove for a couple hours then strain it off and put it in the freezer until I make soup. Once it's frozen it's really easy to scrape off the fat and I add veggies etc. to make a pot of soup for work lunches. I never buy canned stock.

• shezian
    shezian Posts: 9 Member
    How many calories is home made chicken stock after you scrape all the fat off? I usually leave it in the fridge over night and try to take as much fat off as possible. Is this the best way. The only reason lm asking about chicken stick, is because everytime l make soup with the store bought one l always gain weight. I usually make broccoli soup with an onion, count all the calories in it, but still gain weight. Weird.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    shezian wrote: »
    How many calories is home made chicken stock after you scrape all the fat off? I usually leave it in the fridge over night and try to take as much fat off as possible. Is this the best way. The only reason lm asking about chicken stick, is because everytime l make soup with the store bought one l always gain weight. I usually make broccoli soup with an onion, count all the calories in it, but still gain weight. Weird.

Do you usually not get much sodium? Many commercial chicken stocks are pretty high in sodium, which will make you retain water, and hence gain weight.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    shezian wrote: »

Chicken stock itself is relatively low calorie. The weight gain is likely totally coincidental though remember that if you're weighing yourself shortly after eating the soup that liquid weighs 1 ounce per 1 ounce. Two cups of liquid will add a pound to the scale.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    How do you use your chicken stock? I have quite a lot of it in the freezer, which could use a clear out. My typical uses are for porcini risotto and cooking lentils. But the rate at which I produce it doesn't match my consumption so looking for new ideas.
  • breanamock
    breanamock Posts: 28 Member
    I’ve recently started using chicken stock instead of oil for sautéing. Not sure it would work well in my iron skillet, but it works great in the nonstick one, and saves loads of calories.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    How do you use your chicken stock? I have quite a lot of it in the freezer, which could use a clear out. My typical uses are for porcini risotto and cooking lentils. But the rate at which I produce it doesn't match my consumption so looking for new ideas.

Anything with gravy? My regular meal go-tos include a lighter version of chicken a la king using stock instead of cream, or veggie-rich pot pie filling served over a small portion of carbs. Soups are also a given. Frozen stock is awesome for 10 minute soups - add some diced veggies and leftover protein/rice/pasta, etc.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    It's been years since I made a veloute sauce, never mind chicken a la king. Will make gravy next time we have grilled or roast chicken. Also have have a 2 year old pack of Chinese dried rice cakes (Chinese equivalent of gnocchi) in the pasta drawer, which should be cooked in stock.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/stir-fried-rice-cakes-recipes.html

Must also remember to make avgolemono, one of the few soups the hubby actually likes.