How badly have you ever misread a calorie label and got a horrible shock later?

Options
13»

Replies

• JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Curious which sandwich store it is. Of course if I get a sub anywhere else it's going to be dripping cheese and all kinds of goodies so the bread is probably the only low calorie part of it lol

In my case it was the convenience store Wawa. It actually kind of makes sense to list the bread separate, since you have different choices, but that could have been made clearer.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    pandareads wrote: »
    One of the local supermarkets makes dinner for two to go and one night I picked up crab cakes with a yummy sauce, a roll, and asparagus. I couldn’t find a nutrition label so I looked it up on here and it said 600-something. I know the database here isn’t always accurate, but the portion was bordering on small so I thought that sounded about right. Cleaning up after eating I found the label on the outer bag. 1800 for one half of the meal for two. That was a sad day.

That is really obnoxious. I'm fairly sure the companies are supposed to make a realistic effort to print practical information, this one seems cut and dry for me.

It was ramen noodles for me - the yakisoba packs from the fridge - one sealed portion is two servings.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Frenchgrad wrote: »
    A few years ago, I was looking at Subway for lunch. They had some new sandwiches that looked good so I wanted to see what the nutrition would be on the calculator. I chose one of the flavors and all my fave toppings and was happily surprised to see it was only around 300 calories! That’s when I realized that I was looking at the “weight in grams” column!

I had to pick something else; the actual calorie count was higher than what I had room for.

I don't know how Subway's bread is good for the calories it is. Turkey on wheat or the jalapeno cheddar, bunch of veggies, about 320 cals.
  • 0Sonia0
    0Sonia0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I went to this same restaurant all the time because the salad with dressing etc was 450 calories. My friend and I would meet up there all the time. They redid their menu and put the actual calories...720 WTF I was so angry that I had been eating that salad for such a long time.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Powdered Almond and powdered peanut butter. I weighed a tablespoon at 12 grams (after running out way faster by measuring than it should have),the label states 2 tablespoons is 12 grams! I was using 4 to 8 , thinking that 4 tbsp. is 100 calories and 8 is 200. 4 tbsp is 200 and 8 is 400.

Yes, once I weighed my powdered pb I realized I was actually eating double the serving size because the powder gets packed down :(
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I managed to convince myself that a sainsbury's peshwari naan was 220 calories (which was clearly never going to be the case lol). That was actually the amount for 1/2 of it. Oh well!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I thought I had bought a cherry coke zero, but as I was drinking it I thought it tasted a bit sweet. I find hardly no difference between cherry coke and cherry coke zero, but it was just enough of a difference to make me double check the bottle. It was, in fact, a regular cherry coke and I had already drank half the bottle. Bye bye 150 calories :s
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Powdered Almond and powdered peanut butter. I weighed a tablespoon at 12 grams (after running out way faster by measuring than it should have),the label states 2 tablespoons is 12 grams! I was using 4 to 8 , thinking that 4 tbsp. is 100 calories and 8 is 200. 4 tbsp is 200 and 8 is 400.

ah yeah i was using powdered pb yesterday and was weighting 1.5tablespoons. well after the first (evened out) tablespoon i put on the scale it was already at nearly 2 tablespoons. Powdered pb is tricky! best to weight.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    My recent surprise was actually a good one. I've been eating guacamole on a piece of mini Naan almost daily for weeks. A few days ago, I just happened to notice that the serving size I've been logging all this time has been for two pieces, when I only eat one. I'm not going to pat myself on the back, though. Hopefully this has just been helping to even out the multiple other mistakes I've been making that are not in my favor.

My good surprise was with Oreo McFlurry. I had always logged it as a regular size because they only sell one size here. Regular size in the database is 570 calories. Turns out our regular size is 340 calories, not 570, and I always thought 570 looked about right because it's large compared to my usual ice cream serving. I don't know how it did not occur to me that the cup didn't look like a 12 oz cup.

That was a good one for me too; I think we discussed it before. I slap mine on the scale now before and after and find the calories easy to fit into my day. :)
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen these in years, but remember those little gold boxes of Godiva chocolates, 4 assorted chocolates to a box? They were such a cute stocking stuffer or small hostess present. Well, the serving size was 4 pieces, servings per container, one. Bravo for label realism!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen these in years, but remember those little gold boxes of Godiva chocolates, 4 assorted chocolates to a box? They were such a cute stocking stuffer or small hostess present. Well, the serving size was 4 pieces, servings per container, one. Bravo for label realism!

Gourmet chocolate always seems to be the only product that I think OVERestimates serving sizes. I had this good-sized solid chocolate bunny at Easter. Serving size was half the bunny. Half the bunny was a TON of chocolate. I was satisfied after eating the ears.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I just added 2 dipping cups of Pizza Hut blue cheese dressing to my pasta. Thought it would be dressing calories, nope. 210 calories... each 😳😳😳
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just added 2 dipping cups of Pizza Hut blue cheese dressing to my pasta. Thought it would be dressing calories, nope. 210 calories... each 😳😳😳

This happened to me at Wingstop. I ordered "ranch" with my wings. Of course, I thought I was ordering ranch. Looked up the calories later... um nope, it was about twice the calories of the ranch in my fridge... oops.