I almost walked out

Options
I have been exercising at the gym for almost 3 weeks 3 to 4 times a week 45 to 1 hr a day last week I didnt lose this week it says I gained 5 lbs, i cant give up i have to keep going!!!! Rant over lol

Replies

• Sunflowerinbloom
    Sunflowerinbloom Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank u 😊
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    5 lbs could just be a fluctuation. they're very common and very normal. Your muscles will also retain extra water for post workout repairs. Keep going and do not let that little number on the scale rule your day. It's great for tracking trends, but if you're looking, feeling better and your clothes are loosening up in all the right places, then you're doing just fine. ;)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I can run every day and gain weight. Exercise is for health, food is for weight loss. Do you log what you eat?
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself first thing in the morning without/in the same clothes? If you're weighing mid-day at the gym, clothed and after eating, that could be one reason it shows a higher result.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    I can run every day and gain weight. Exercise is for health, food is for weight loss. Do you log what you eat?

this. i was still running 5x a week while i gained 45lb (over a year or two).

and i had to stop running and any major purposeful exercise midway thru losing the 50lb due to injury (which I am still battling). I do walk but that's it. but i still manage to lose weight by following CICO.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Yes I put down what I eat except there were times I didn't and I am going to fix that, yes I weigh the same time every day but I did eat cereal for breakfast so maybe that's part of it and also i was thinking about water weight also, is there something I can take to help with water weight?
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Options
    Thanks for the article I will read that
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Yes I put down what I eat except there were times I didn't and I am going to fix that, yes I weigh the same time every day but I did eat cereal for breakfast so maybe that's part of it and also i was thinking about water weight also, is there something I can take to help with water weight?

If you're holding onto water with exercise, that's a good thing...your body is repairing itself. It's water, not fat...the number on the scale isn't the be all and end all. People do all kinds of stuff to mess up their health by worrying about water weight.

Your body is comprised of roughly 55-65% water...that will always be in flux. Certain things like more sodium than usual or higher carbs than usual can also result in some water retention, which again is your body functioning as it is supposed to. New exercise and/or increased intensity will cause you to hold water to aid in repair of broken down tissues...air travel causes water retention...sitting too long, etc.

Water isn't really anything you should be concerning yourself with unless it's edema which is an abnormal amount of water being held...and it's way more than 5 Lbs.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    yes, eat less (I know easier said than done)
  • metal_maiden88
    metal_maiden88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weight gain can come from lots of things. Hormones or maybe you had a little more sodium than you realized. Sometimes our bodies also get used to the same thing. Maybe change something up like have a bigger lunch than dinner. Don't let the scale control your journey. Good luck!!
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    yes, eat less (I know easier said than done)

We know nothing about OP's diet whatsoever. Giving the advice to eat less is no bueno unless it's clear they're consuming more than they're burning! Without that information, eating less is terrible advice, frankly.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising at the gym for almost 3 weeks 3 to 4 times a week 45 to 1 hr a day last week I didnt lose this week it says I gained 5 lbs, i cant give up i have to keep going!!!! Rant over lol

been there and it sucks...but keep your head up and keep going...GOOD LUCK!!
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    TAKE PICTURES. At least once a month every 30 days. It's possible the scale says one thing but those pictures will definitely tell you the truth.
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Options
    Thanks everyone this helps more than u know and really makes me feel better