Reality of working in a gym? (UK)

Options
I am mulling over the decision to take my Level 2 Gym Instruction and Level 3 Personal Training qualification online with Study Active and getting a job in a gym.

I am not thinking of doing this for the money (as I understand there are lots of unrealistic earning potential claims out there) however I would need at least minimum wage that’s guaranteed income. I am 30 years old, have a house and things to pay for.

This has come about because I am wanting a career change and am starting to take a real interest in fitness, training and nutrition. So thought what better way to earn a living than have a job where I am doing this day-in/day-out to gain experience and do something I am really passionate about.

If someone could share their experience on the reality of working in a gym (in the UK) that would be appreciated.

The main questions that come to my mind are…

Is this just a young person’s job that isn’t sustainable?

What do typical day duties involve?

Can you do PT sessions where you are paid an hourly wage by the gym instead of having to find your own clients on a self-employed basis?

Are there any gyms that offer 9-5 hours, or are they all really early starts, big breaks in the afternoon, then late finishes? (all the job adverts I've seen for your main UK corporate gyms such are Gym Group, Pure Gym, Anytime Fitness etc. only seem to offer a minimum of 12 contracted hours)

Many thanks!

Gino.

Replies

• confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't work in a gym myself but have had chats about this type of thing with my trainer.

At my gym (lifestyle fitness) they don't have that break in the middle of the day, the PTs who work at the gym have either the early shift or the late one. My PT doesn't really have any days that are 9-5 because the gym opens early and closes late during the week, and he works a lot of weekends. I assume he is paid an hourly wage for being gym staff but for our sessions I pay him directly by bank transfer. I did find him through the gym, there are a number of trainers there but he was recommended by the receptionist when I signed up for my membership, and it's worked out well.

There are a lot of young trainers but several who appear to be in their 40s or so as well. I suspect people who continue to be PTs after that just work freelance and make enough that way, rather than having to work the front desk at the gym as well and antisocial hours. (5am opening time!)

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start out part time and see what works out for you. I seriously doubt you’ll find a 9-5 job especially as a newbie. ☺️
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My bro in law (36) was a gym instructor and now a personal trainer. 10 years ago he was a sports teacher and ran marathons so was really fit anyway. He started at a gym on a salary but he hated the anti-social hours and front desk shifts. He learnt how to network and promote his skills. Even things about demographic preferences etc which he hadn't factored. He then built up his client base and went self-employed.

Now he has regular classes, long term customers and some new customers via word of mouth. For example a few afternoons a week he rents a pool for an hour and does aquafit for over 60's at £5 each. Only warm ups and basic cardio; they love it - and there's a waiting list. He pays the rent and the rest is his. Some gigs are at a gym, others are a run in the park etc so his day is varied.

The negatives for him are probably the same as any other self-employed set up. He controls his schedule but it is dependent on demand. He could work 6-8am then nothing until 7pm and then 12 hours the next day. He has regular bookings, outside of standard working hours, to suit his customers! His expenses - food, rent, gym memberships, advertising, ongoing tuition, clothing & new £100 trainers every month etc have to be paid regardless of how many customer's he had.

Its tough being a one man band and having to stay at optimum fitness. A PT with a pulled muscle is a bad advert so he's not allowed the slow day everyone has once in a while. He's looking to employ another PT and is trialling a food plan with delivery service for a couple of customers as a complete package. He now earns a decent amount, as he works hard to promote himself. The first few years self-employed were tough and only possible as my sister's wage covered them.

And mates rates are always always expected!

Good luck
  • georgethomasmay1
    georgethomasmay1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for for your advice. After speaking to a few other people about this career path, I've decided to give it a miss. A shame in a way as I do like fitness/exercise etc. but the hours just wouldn't work for me. I can see how it would suit some people though.