Evening Supper Help

Options
I'm trying to figure out what to eat for "supper" when I come home from work at night. My day starts at 4am, I typically eat a very light breakfast at 5. I have an 1.5 hour commute to work, so around 9am, I eat a regular breakfast from our cafeteria. Then eat my lunch at 12:30, leave work at 3:30 and am home by 5. By this time I'm hungry but nothing sounds good. Not healthy food, not junk food, so I typically eat another small bowl of cereal. I would love some suggestions, especially if someone is in the same boat as me.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could use a slow cooker so your meal would be ready when you get home, plus you'd have leftovers.

If you have time on the weekend, cook up a meal that would last you a few days.

So many meals take 20 minutes or less to prepare. There must be something that would work for you.

Good luck! :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    When I worked long hours, I used to spend a few hours on Sunday cooking. I'd make 4 lunches, 4 dinners, and snacks. On Fridays I would get takeout for lunch, eat half, and eat the other half for dinner.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Your hours sound a lot like mine - that 0430 alarm really yanks my chain sometimes lol. I always have an “after-work snack” of crackers and cheese or veggies and fruit (pre-prepped). Then I can do other stuff until dinner time (5 or 6 pm). Then it’s usually some leftover dinner (I cook a few different meals on Sunday) or something quick like soup and sandwich or salad.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    dare2begin wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out what to eat for "supper" when I come home from work at night. My day starts at 4am, I typically eat a very light breakfast at 5. I have an 1.5 hour commute to work, so around 9am, I eat a regular breakfast from our cafeteria. Then eat my lunch at 12:30, leave work at 3:30 and am home by 5. By this time I'm hungry but nothing sounds good. Not healthy food, not junk food, so I typically eat another small bowl of cereal. I would love some suggestions, especially if someone is in the same boat as me.

I get that way sometimes when I'm really hungry -- nothing sounds good. What I found works a lot of the time is to have a small amount of something simple and reasonably nutritious that doesn't take work (a banana, a previously hard-boiled egg, a glass of milk, veggies or a mini pita with a little hummus), and then I find I can think about what I might want to round out the meal, round out my calories, hit my nutritional goals, etc.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Egg McMuffin is a pretty good choice. 300 calories. Carb and protein balanced. No sugar to speak of.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If cereal fits your calories, you’re getting enough protein and fat during the day, and you enjoy cereal, then there’s nothing wrong with cereal for dinner.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I spend some time prepping on weekends to ensure I have good, convenient options when I get home. One idea - dice up some mushrooms and onions, chop some spinach, have a little grated cheese on hand - keep all of that in the fridge and you can throw together an omelette in no time in the evening.
  • dare2begin
    dare2begin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the good ideas. I tend to meal plan for lunch and snacks at work but not supper. Going to think about this for next week!