New to this site and very frustrated

Options
I just started on her and have been eating good and staying right on track with calorie intake but when I weighed today I gained weight. I have been doing so good and I wasn't expecting that at all. Please help.

Replies

• rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you read some of these threads, you will see lots of people in the same boat. General advice is:

weigh yourself at the same time of day each week
    drink lots of water
    limit sodium intake
    be honest about your food logging

Hang in there! The weight will come off. Just don't expect miracles and be kind to yourself. Don't give up too soon.
  • Akinkopf
    Akinkopf Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
  • GoingMedium
    Options
    If you read some of these threads, you will see lots of people in the same boat. General advice is:

weigh yourself at the same time of day each week
    drink lots of water
    limit sodium intake
    be honest about your food logging

Hang in there! The weight will come off. Just don't expect miracles and be kind to yourself. Don't give up too soon.

Very true ... water and less sodium intake is SO key here. Hang in there ... it'll get easier. For now, learn to appreciate the fact that you're doing well in eating. There's always non-scale victories (NSV) like looser clothing :)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    "Hello Folks,

So often people personal message me asking me if I think their calories are correct. It seems that people think there is some magical formula that only a very few can figure out. I see so many people on here just popping in numbers and following them heedless of what the numbers mean. I feel it's ULTRA important to know why MFP (and me, and a few others) gives you certain numbers. To that end I will try to empower YOU to be able to understand the basics about calories, calorie deficits, and why we recommend eating exercise calories. With this knowledge you should be able to easily figure out what your calories should be at for reasonable, healthy weight loss. So without further ado, lets get started.

1st things first, a few givens must be stated:

-Everyone's body is slightly different. ALWAYS keep in mind your numbers may not be exactly what MFP thinks simply because everyone's bodies all burn energy at a different rate. Tweaking may be needed.

- MFP's goals wizard is a "dumb" tool. That means it doesn't care whether a specific goal is healthy and/or right for you, it just subtracts the goal deficit from projected maintenance calories. This means that even if you shouldn't be trying for a 2 lb a week loss, MFP won't care, it will still try to help you get there.

-1200 calories is a generic number. It's not right for everyone. It's a baseline minimum given out as a floor by MFP based on prior research by the medical community. NOT everyone will need a minimum of 1200, very small people can go under, and bigger people need more.

OK with those facts firmly set in your mind (please go back and re-read the givens until you have them firmly planted in your skull!), we can continue. Figuring out your perfect deficit isn't magic, it's a few simple formula's base on some basic, worldwide standards, and generally with slight modefication, will work for just about anyone who (besides weight) is generally healthy.

Here's what you need:
    Height, weight, age, activity level, sex

NOTE: activity level isn't as mysterious as it sounds. If you have a desk job, and do very little walking throughout the day and don't really perform any sports or physical activities, then you are sedentary, if you do some walking every day (or at least 4 days a week) or other light activity for at least 30 minutes cumulative at least 4 times a week, you are lightly active. If you do 60 minutes of light activity 5 days a week or do some kind of sport that requires walking or light jogging (say swimming or mailman or warehouse employee) then you are active, If you do a physically demanding activity (one that makes you sweat) for 4 days a week or more and for more than 1 hour a day, you are very active (like a coach that runs drills or you play volleyball). When in doubt, go down 1 level, you'd rather burn more than you think than less.

With all these numbers you can generate your BMI. Now I realize BMI is flawed, but for what we're doing it's good enough. After years on here, and doing lots and lots of research, I've been able to associate general BMI ranges with approximate goal levels. This works for about 80 to 85% of people out there (there's always a few that are outside the curve).

So now we can figure out where your goal should be.
    Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

With this quick guide you can figure out your goal rather easily. I know many people will say "I can't eat my exercise calories, I gain weight when I do". Well I have news for you, that's not correct. I submit this, if you eat your exercise calories and gain weight 1 of 3 things happened:
    1 you were previously in starvation mode, and you upped your calories, and had an immediate weight gain, that's normal, to be expected, and necessary to get your body on track. Give it a month, that will stop, and you, once again, will begin to lose, but this time, in a healthy manner.
    2 you incorrectly calculated something, either your exercise calories, your calorie intake, or you put in to large of a goal. Go back and check all your numbers.
    3 you haven't given it enough time to work. This site promotes HEALTHY weight loss people. Healthy weight loss doesn't happen in days or weeks, it takes months and years. Each change you make in how you eat needs a month or more to work, be patient, give it time. It will happen.

And to everyone who has a trainer that doesn't agree with eating your exercise calories. I also submit this: In 90% of the cases (and I have talked to a LOT of trainers about this exact topic) they actually DO agree with this method, you just explained it wrong.
    Just saying to a trainer "should I eat my exercise calories?" isn't enough, you have to explain to them that MFP already generates a deficit prior to any exercise, therefore the deficit will remain whether you exercise or not. Once you give them that idea, and you are relatively sure they understand the concept then I'll bet they change their tune.

I hope this helps, it's pretty straight forward if you've been here a while, and to you new guys, I recommend going to the message boards link, clicking on the "general diet and weight loss" area, and clicking on those first few posts that have the little mouse trap next to them, they are sticky and will always be there, and are a wealth of knowledge about this site, exercise calories, starvation mode...etc.

regards,

-Banks "
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    "We’ve all seen the countless threads and posts about starvation mode. Many contain a lot of misinformation and apply the concept too broadly. It’s my aim to clear up some misconceptions (of both believers and non-believers). I’m going to try to keep this simple and straightforward and easily understandable.

What is Starvation Mode?
    Starvation Mode – aka survival mode, famine response, adaptive thermogenesis

Starvation mode is a reaction to inadequate energy. If your food intake is too low to meet energy requirements, the body starts accessing inside sources. It will attempt to access fat stores first, and in the highest proportion. If you have a lot of fat stores, most of the energy will come from fat, and a little from muscle. If you have less fat stores, most will still come from fat, but a higher percentage will come from lean tissue, such as muscles. The leaner you get, the more difficult it is for the body to access fat quickly.

When the body perceives intake to be too low and energy stores (fat) to be inadequate for making up the difference quickly, it begins to compensate to prolong survival. First, it slows metabolism (the rate at which you use energy.) If intake continues to be too low, it then begins to access muscle, because it is easier and faster. The loss of lean tissue further slows metabolism. If this cycle continues for a significant period, at the right levels, it results in an ever-decreasing metabolism. This means a person can eat less and less (to a point), and still have slow or no weight loss because the body’s energy requirements have decreased. Remember that total energy requirements include BMR, daily activity and purposeful exercise.

Who is at Risk?
    Most people with large amounts of fat stores are not at risk of starvation mode. This is usually women over 35% body fat and men over 25% body fat, but there is no exact point. They have sufficient energy stores to supplement the body’s needs for energy (however, they still have other needs that must be met, such as vitamins and minerals). The closer a person is to a healthy BMI, the higher risk and consequences of starvation mode.

When Does it Happen?
    It doesn’t happen by skipping a meal or even a whole day or at 1200, 1000, or any other random cal number. Typically, metabolism will begin to decrease after about 72 hours of significantly inadequate intake. But this is dependent on the individual’s specific situation – what the energy requirements are, how much fat they have, and the exact level of intake. The loss of lean tissue begins sometime later. It could be days, weeks or months. It may be at 1200 for one person, and 2000 for another. Again, it depends on the individual and will be a different point for everyone.

Then Why are Anorexics Skinny?
    Anorexics were “normal” weight at some point. They began decreasing intake and using up fat stores. How long this takes depends, again, on energy requirements and actual intake. The body has a “range” in which it feels comfortable accessing fat, without decreasing metabolism too much or burning too much muscle. As an average, this is between 250 and 1000 calories below maintenance requirements. When you drop below this range, the body begins starvation mode reactions. Anorexics WERE in starvation mode at some point – but they continued to decrease intake. There is a level of extreme calorie restriction and lack of fat stores at which starvation mode turns into actual starvation. The body is adaptable, but it has its limits. At this point, the body has no choice but to burn everything – fat, muscle, organs, hair, skin, etc - simply to sustain bodily functions. Severe anorexia is the result of continuous extreme calorie restriction and malnutrition (typically below 500 cals). You can try it their way. But remember, a lot of them develop horrible diseases from malnutrition and many of them die.

But Some People Claim You GAIN Weight in Starvation Mode?
    Starvation Mode itself will not cause weight gain. However, a combination of starvation mode, binges, and carb loading, can cause weight gain. Once the metabolism decreases, your energy requirements are lower. So you have to eat less just to maintain your current weight. The body has become more efficient at using and storing energy. But most people have a hard time maintaining a very low intake consistently for long periods. So if your typical intake is 1000 (just an example), but you have occasional binges of 3000 and the binge is mostly carbs, the body can’t use all of that at one time anymore. So the body shuttles it to fat storage. This won’t be a huge gain, but a lb or two a month maybe. It’s not dramatic, but if someone lives this way for years, they can gain a decent amount of weight.

Further Reading:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/222019-60-lbs-in-60-days?hl=60+lbs
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/208407-how-to-repair-a-damaged-metabolism-stavation-mode?page=1#posts-2752820
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/187973-an-email-response-that-might-help-some?page=1%23posts-2493477
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777-why-is-starvation-mode-so-bad
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/49690-the-banks-plan?page=1#posts-541471
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/69708-calorie-deficit-for-dummies-a-little-long
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/79181-dogmeat-s-thoughts-on-weight-loss
  • Christina1090
    Christina1090 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem when I started the site. I had the hardest time being 100% honest about what I was eating, and how much. I decided buying a scale was one of the most bittersweet purchases I'd made in a while. It's nice to see the number, it'll help keep you on track. Things that have helped me:

increase your water intake by at least double
    eat protein based snacks if you're hungry before meals (almonds are great)
    watch your sugars and salts--they creep up out of nowhere!!

Good luck!! Stick with it and stay positive!! :)
  • CapitalE
    CapitalE Posts: 30
    Options
    Also make sure you're taking measurements - lots of people see inches lost before pounds
  • Gay11nell
    Gay11nell Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Dido, dido, dido!!!! Dnt give up!!!! You will eventually get a balanced between diet/nutrition and exercise.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    How long have you been at it? When we first start, there are natural fluctuations, usually based on water weight, your body adjusting to your new way of eating... If you cut your calories really drastically, your body might respond by retaining at first.

Also bear in mind that weight can naturally fluctuate between 3 and 6 pounds on a daily basis, depending on the factors the other poster mentioned. Your first weigh-in won't be a good indicator. You have to take averages over the weeks and months and then you'll see it happening.

Finally, consider using other markers besides weight. Once you've been working out regularly, you'll develop muscle as you lose the fat. Muscle weighs more, so sometimes it can look as if you're not losing fat because the weight on the scale doesn't go down. So, look at how your clothes fit and how you look and feel. Stick to your new nutritional plan. Being healthy is a better goal than shrinking numbers on a scale.

Losing weight is a slow process. Give it time. You'll get there!
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Don't give up or get discouraged. It took me a week or two to actually see changes on the scale......just try to log in your food take as best as possible and exercise and you'll see change. Patience, Patience and Patience. Remember...you are in this for the long run :-)
  • Akinkopf
    Options
    Thank you everybody. I just started on here but have lost 30 pounds before on here just by cutting back and not by actually counting calories. I wasnt eating healthy just cutting back how much I ate. I am now eating healthy. I really appreciate yalls help.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Cut out all processed foods. They are filled with chemicals and junk. Your liver has to work hard to detox them from your body and then doesn't have the time to break down fat, thus stalling out weight loss. Also they have a lot of sodium and sugars.

If you are working out, remember that your muscles will retain water while they are healing.

Don't rely on the scale only to count your progress.. ESPECIALLY if you are working out. I had 2 weeks where I lost NOTHING, and then the third week only lost a quarter of a pound. Fortunately it was time for me to get my measurements done. What my trainer found was that in those 3 weeks I was down 4 inches all over, and my body fat had dropped by 2%.

The scale can't tell a difference between 1 pound of fat and 1 pound of muscle. To a scale, 1 pound is 1 pound. So rely on your NSV's (Non Scale Victories) as well as the scale.

An NSV.... your pants are looser, you need to buy a new belt, or your belt goes down a notch. A shirt that was too tight fits looser. You've lost inches. You flex your body and feel hard muscle where you used to just be flabby.

Also, a lot of women retain water and have bloating when they get close to their period (my weight goes up 3-5 pounds, and that's WITHOUT giving into my crazy cravings) right before my period and I don't loose that water weight until a day or two after my period is over.

So.. a scale not moving, or even going up a little bit is not, in and of itself, a failure or a stall.

God bless!
  • Akinkopf
    Options
    Thank you everybody. I am going to not get discouraged and keep on and tweak what I am already doing.