Whats keto like?

In the recent years I've noticed that keto has become more and more popular. And although I myself haven't tried it, it's a very fascinating way of eating to me. I probably wouldn't be able to do a normal ketogenic diet because I'm not eating meat at the moment. But I would really love to feel what its like to be in a state of ketosis. Regardless, if you've done it, and have had great results, please feel free to share them with me! :D<3

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2019
    "Feels"? The best I can say is this: I have been a person who goes to a place with people on Sunday morning and sits quietly. Back when I was not doing keto, I'd have my carby breakfast and fall asleep where I sat a few hours later.

Doing keto, I can have my breakfast of fatty coffee and sit awake and alert all Sunday morning.

Doing keto, I can drive long distances (ok, the length of a normal daily work commute) without feeling drowsy.

Are there other feels? I don't know.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    It's a way of eating that works for me, I'm at my lowest adult recorded weight because of keto, my body is leaner and I'm very rarely hungry. The biggest thing I notice is that I have very little appetite, its restrictive when you want to eat quick on the move like I do so you need to prepare and plan meals.
    The cost can be high at the beginning as well as you invest in the food for the first few weeks then as your appetite diminishes it gets easier.
    I never got keto flu or any symptoms other than smelly breath(yuk) but that ketosis, you dont "feel" different at all.
    I love it but it's not for everyone.my partner is doing it and she's also vegetarian but she loves it too..she's now in great shape quicker than any other diet .
    Love keto me
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    temazur wrote: »
    Mileage may vary. A lot.

This. My mom is really happy doing keto. She has a ton of great recipes and is able to stick with it (for almost a year now). She feels great. I was miserable and gained weight because I, like so many before me, wasn't counting calories in addition to watching my carbs. I ate all the cheeses... all of them. I was still hungry all the time because I tend to stay fuller longer on a higher number of carbs, so keto just wasn't working for me.

I switched to just counting calories and found that the absence of the keto diet restrictions was better for my situation.

I think keto can compliment a CICO way of eating if it helps people stay fuller longer and is sustainable in the long-term.
  • Mishilovescolours
    Mishilovescolours Posts: 32 Member
    I am managing to stick to it. And I am a huge carb lover. But of course Keto is a low carb way of eating. I have been on it nine weeks and lost 23 pounds. I’ve had one day off and ate quite s few carbohydrates. It took days to get back into losing weight again, even though I got back on track the following day.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Just weighed in at a record low.Keto has the scales moving again.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    For me it was a week of constant exhaustion, heartburn, reflux, nausea, and greasy diarrhea. Turns out my body runs much better on high protein / moderate carb / low fat.

But for some people, Keto helps them cut calories without being as hungry or deprived. If you're curious, I'd suggest you try it for a week, but Keto's hard to do if you don't eat much meat.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    How you feel is different for different people. We experimented with this as a family and the results were fascinating. For me, it was lack of energy, digestive distress, a weird mental flip into depression that isn't characteristic for me, and extreme hunger (which resulted in overeating and weight gain). My sister felt much better than I did, but eventually missed carby foods and quit. My mom was barely hungry and we had to nag her to eat.