Bacon?

Options
Hello! So I was looking at the pack of bacon and it said 2 strips were only 80 calories! Does this include the fat on it right after you're done frying it? I just shake it a little to get rid of excess dripping fat before I put it on the plate. Have any of you lost weight while eating bacon? Do you recommend bacon while losing weight? Why or why not?

Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Lots of people lose eating bacon. I eat it pretty rarely, but the amount I eat it didn't change during weight loss. I don't really find it filling (it's tasty, however), but the calories are reasonable enough. I wouldn't recommend that someone add it (or any specific food) for weight loss, but I'd say if you enjoy it, it fits in a weight loss diet just fine.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I had bacon last night. It's not nearly as caloric as people think because a lot of the fat cooks out. 40 calories per slice is about what you will get after cooking it in a pan. If you microwave it between two paper towels, it goes down to about 25 calories per slice.
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you can put it in your diet and still be in a calorie deficit for the day, eat it!

I eat it all the time but usually keep it at 2-4 slices at most because of the calorie/weight ratio.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with a bit of bacon, if honestly logged and accounted for.
    I'll even admit to reserving the fat that comes out of it and cooking something else in it instead of using cooking oil. But when I do I also log the bacon fat (as well as the greens I just wilted down in it)

Everything in moderation

I also save the fat in a jar, though I am not sure how to measure it for calories. How many calories does it have per tablespoon?

Fat is fat - 120 cal per table spoon.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'll even admit to reserving the fat that comes out of it and cooking something else in it instead of using cooking oil. But when I do I also log the bacon fat (as well as the greens I just wilted down in it)

Everything in moderation

I also save the fat in a jar, though I am not sure how to measure it for calories. How many calories does it have per tablespoon?

Just put "bacon fat" into the MFP database. Although a weight would be more accurate than a tablespoon
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I just checked... MFP says 38 cal per teaspoon of bacon fat - so a tablespoon would be triple
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Everything in moderation

Just put "bacon fat" into the MFP database. Although a weight would be more accurate than a tablespoon

Yeah -- here's a good entry from the USDA that should be findable in MFP: 10864, Pork, bacon, rendered fat, cooked.

898 cal for 100 g (so about 90 for 10 g). I'd use weight.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Sure, bacon can fit into you're calorie and nutrition goals if that's what you like to eat :) I believe the calories on the package are for cooked bacon, and it's one of those things that's a fairly loose estimate, because the meat is so fatty, and how well it's done will definately have an impact on the calorie count (though really I think it would be just a few calories more or less). I like my bacon crisp, and when it's done I press it between two layers of paper towel to remove any liquid fat. I like bacon, and I've lost 50 pounds without cutting it out of my diet.

I like my bacon pretty rare and pink, should I be pressing the fat off of it?

Not necessary - that's just what I like to do, but again once cooked I think the calorie difference is negligible. Looking back on how many calories of fat in a teaspoon of bacon, and assuming you're not eating it half a pound at a time, there would be far less than a teaspoon of fat difference between well and lightly cooked. Don't overthink this - just enjoy :)
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    ... Do you recommend bacon while losing weight? Why or why not?

All foods can by eaten while losing weight as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

You have made at least two post about different kinds of foods that lead me to think you have a less than positive relationship with food. Foods are not good or bad, they're just food. No food can make you gain or lose weight. Some foods are more nutritious than others, but can still be eaten if they fit into your goals.