Food Allergies and diet

I have a few new food allergies to work around. I also mostly eat out. Help! I am struggling to find food I can eat. I had a BLT sandwich with no mayo for dinner.

I can’t have egg, white potatoes, coconut, palm oil, turkey, lamb, pork, strawberries, fish or nuts. I dislike steak and get tired of chicken.
I liked salad with toppings like egg, or chicken salad which are now a no go.

Anyone have suggestions of what I can eat?

I have a feeling with my new limited diet the weight is naturally going to come off me. I already miss potatoes...

Replies

• Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member

That seems very restrictive. Are they all genuine allergies where you have an allergic reaction to the protein? Perhaps look in to an AIP (auto-immune Paleo) diet? There are several resources out there that might be a good jumping off point for you. Maybe also look in to a Vegetarian Diet, not necessarily to eat that way, but for some additional ideas as to how to get additional protein in to your diet since you seem to be most limited with those choices. Good luck. Several years ago I had to do a strict elimination diet in order to determine what foods I was reacting to and it was hard.

I have an allergic reaction of tingly, swollen tongue, throat closing and hives. The hives are no joke. I can live with the tingly tongue... but the reactions are getting worse with age.
  • Libby283
    edited June 2019
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I suggest you start preparing more food at home. Stock your freezer with foods you can eat, and keep a bagged salad ready.

Bacon is made from pork. No BLT for you.

Finding proteins you can eat with these restrictions is going to be difficult.

There’s dairy and the vegetable proteins such as tofu and seitan. This is my very favourite way to prepare tofu.

https://pin.it/4cre4vgecwzr3r

I am ok with bacon. Most bagged salads with toppings, have egg or one of the other allergens. I looked at the grocery store for 20 minutes this morning to find a salad. If they didn’t have egg, it was nuts or turkey.

I don’t cook and mostly on the go, so eating on the go is necessary. I am away from house for 12-15 hours at a time.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Libby283 wrote: »
    That seems very restrictive. Are they all genuine allergies where you have an allergic reaction to the protein? Perhaps look in to an AIP (auto-immune Paleo) diet? There are several resources out there that might be a good jumping off point for you. Maybe also look in to a Vegetarian Diet, not necessarily to eat that way, but for some additional ideas as to how to get additional protein in to your diet since you seem to be most limited with those choices. Good luck. Several years ago I had to do a strict elimination diet in order to determine what foods I was reacting to and it was hard.

I have an allergic reaction of tingly, swollen tongue, throat closing and hives. The hives are no joke. I can live with the tingly tongue... but the reactions are getting worse with age.

Thanks for responding. The reason that I ask is because things like Palm Oil can be hidden in more foods than you think and can be very difficult to navigate. With them all being a true allergy, would it be possible for you to cook at home more? Unfortunately, there are very few restaurants that are willing to guarantee that their foods are allergen free as it would be a huge liability issue for them.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    as a person who loves potatoes, I have found that celeriac is an excellent alternative. that said, if you are pollen sensitive then you may find it a problem too, however at least its not part of the nightshade family, which potatoes are and probably your problem area.

meat ideas. duck, emu, ostrich, kangaroo, rabbit, venison. If you don't like steak do you like other ways of preparing beef? Like minced / ground (burgers, meatballs etc)

Is it all fish you can't have or just shell fish?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    ...Look to vegans for alternatives without eggs, such as vegan mayo...

I'm not vegan, but I <3 Vegenaise. It tastes better than regular mayo, IMO, and lots of stores carry it. Try it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've used it as mayo, and to make all sorts of creamy dressings.

1vgrnqoksifg.png
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I'm wondering if you have actually taken medical advice. I've been considering your situation in the light of the additional information you have given. Mostly its the idea your issues are progressive. "Your reactions becoming worse with age".

I wonder if you could possibly be b 12 deficient, b12 is involved in so many pf our bodies processes, including immunity. Its a weird vitamin in that it requires a specific enzyme or something to encase in in the mouth to carry it in your saliva to the particular point in the digestive tract for it to be absorbed. I preferer achieving medical confirmation of something like this because even though there are some over the counter pills for putting under the tongue, ones containing the specific enzyme or what ever are less common and can be prescription only. Most persons who are able to prove by blood test that they are b12 deficient will be offered injections by their doctors. this is way to complicated to play with. (when I could not get my prescription ones the sublingual ones did absolutely nothing for me)

I've also come across oral allergy in my past reading, I think it is more from pollen protein rather than conventional meats. Something else which needs deeper investigation rather than acceptance. Good luck.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Sometimes lifestyle issues require lifestyle changes. Hubby and I had to move to deal with his pain (he can't drive, so now he walks to work). Look at why you are out of the house so much (is it all work or is some social?) and what adjustments you can make.

Try packing your food into a cooler before you leave the house. Look for a microwave so that you can have some hot meals.

Look to vegetarians for protein options, such as cheese and beans.

Look to vegans for alternatives without eggs, such as vegan mayo.

Look for vegetarian and vegan restaurants that are more likely to have options for you.

Find a protein bar or shake to have on hand as a fall back when you get into a situation where you can't find something appropriate to eat.

Great tips.

@Libby283 when I worked longer hours M-F, I spent a few hours on Sunday making lunches and dinners for the work week.

You could use Vegenaise to make chicken salad.

There are so many ways to make chicken - I never get sick of it - I subscribe to allrecipes.com and America's Test Kitchen emails and am always getting new recipes. Today I received these; can't wait to try them!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/244632/turkish-chicken-kebabs/
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/25445/key-west-chicken/

So what I would do when I meal prepped was make both chicken recipes on Sunday, plus something to complete the meal. I think rice for the Turkish chicken and salad for the Key West Chicken. (When prepping salads ahead of time store wet and dry ingredients separately.)
  • Libby283
    as a person who loves potatoes, I have found that celeriac is an excellent alternative. that said, if you are pollen sensitive then you may find it a problem too, however at least its not part of the nightshade family, which potatoes are and probably your problem area.

meat ideas. duck, emu, ostrich, kangaroo, rabbit, venison. If you don't like steak do you like other ways of preparing beef? Like minced / ground (burgers, meatballs etc)

Is it all fish you can't have or just shell fish?

I eat ground beef, like burgers. I don’t eat any of those other meats. I have never been a meat eater.

As of right now, I can eat crab and shrimp. I eat them often.
  • Libby283
    edited June 2019
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Libby283 wrote: »

It's still not clear - have you been to a doctor about this? Getting this properly diagnosed could help you to drill down on what exactly it is you are allergic to, how best to avoid it, and open up the possibility there may be some way to treat it. It might also allow you to get referred to an RD who could further help you figure out how to eat a healthy and calorie-controlled diet considering your issues.

Having said that, it's an unfortunate fact of life that for many people with dietary restrictions, preparing your own food often becomes a necessity. That might be something you need to put some thought and strategizing into.

The new allergies are confirmed by an allergist. I go back for additional testing next month.

So far with cutting out eggs and potatoes, no new hives have shown up.
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    ...Look to vegans for alternatives without eggs, such as vegan mayo...

I'm not vegan, but I <3 Vegenaise. It tastes better than regular mayo, IMO, and lots of stores carry it. Try it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've used it as mayo, and to make all sorts of creamy dressings.

1vgrnqoksifg.png

I will try this.
  • Libby283
    I eat out most of the time so it is something I have to work out. Even work, we all order lunch daily.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    I assume you're not out 12-15 hours EVERY day. Could you make up a big salad that will last for the next few days? Try things like quinoa or couscous, different salad vegetables, beetroot, thinly sliced red cabbage, grated carrot, roasted peppers and antipasti items such as artichoke or grilled courgette in addition to the usual lettuce, cucumber, tomato & radish. You can then take a portion in a salad box and top it with cheese, chicken, crab or prawns/shrimp. I'm intolerant to multiple things and can't have mayo; I quite happily have my salads dry if I've got things like beetroot in it or I add a lemon/oil dressing.

Also consider making a big curry (chicken, beef or prawn), a bolognese, a big macaroni cheese (to which you can add chopped onion, mushroom, tomato, bacon or ham if you can and some herbs) and maybe do a big stirfry. I pad everything out with loads of vegetables. Bag or carton each up into portions for ready-made evening meals that can be frozen. I typically cook enough of each for 4-6 meals and all I need to do when I get home is cook some rice (although I do that in bulk and freeze it in small portions too) or pasta.
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    As someone that also has a whole host of food allergies, I looked to Daily Harvest for some grab & go options. I prepare most of my food at home, but these give me great options for travel work days or visits to the in-laws!