The Struggle is Real

Options
I am a serial starter always sabotaging myself. I know what to do, how to do it, but everytime I make progress, I ruin it for myself. Here I am facing yet another summer as fat as the last and if I had just stuck too it, I would be at or beyond goal by now. Frustrating!!!

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    maybe the issue is how you "go on a diet?" making it harder on yourself than it needs to be and thus non sustainable?

this might be useful to read:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

don't make the diet harder than it needs to be. pick a reasonable rate of loss and keep foods you enjoy i your day to day life. don't label foods "good or bad" or feel the need to eat only "diet food".
  • CassieVoiles
    CassieVoiles Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I believe in you.
  • lun4wub
    lun4wub Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. For me it is the daily demands and emotional problems that get in my way. I'm doing well right now. So I'm just trying to push myself through it.
  • tshoeczek
    tshoeczek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I could have written your post exactly. I am in the same place. Its super frustrating to come to swim season and feeling like this again, when I had high hopes that this year would be the different year after a number of false starts on diets this year. I have come to the conclusion after some meditation, that my self-sabotage is related to deeper issues and so have chosen to go to therapy to address them. I am trying to focus not as much on my diet as on the small things and more on my personal growth and spiritual growth right now. I am going to try doing the food journal and without judgement. I am going to try to focus on eating for health, and when I crave something, to try to observe what feelings I am having that are leading me to eat emotionally. Also, I was recommended to read this book - Bodyfulness by Christine Caldwell that focuses on mindfulness and bridging the gap between mind and body. I haven't read it yet though. I hope that helps a bit and wish you luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    sometimes you just have to get fed up with yourself...just keep trying and at some point things will click for you when you're ready. The term "weight loss journey". is cliché ... but it truly is more than just about the weight. You need to figure out your path and what is holding you back.

I have succeeded.after many weight loss attempts. For me, worrying about my weight kept me from facing other goals and challenges in my life. As if losing weight was the first thing I had to do before personal and career goals. It was a good reason to put other hard things on hold.

Good luck with your breakthrough. It will happen.
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've battled weight my whole life, sucessful lost and maintained a while, then gained again. I am the type of person that if I don't have full control, I have no control. It sucks!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    I've battled weight my whole life, sucessful lost and maintained a while, then gained again. I am the type of person that if I don't have full control, I have no control. It sucks!

I had to reinvent myself about 3-4 times to lose 100 lbs. I finally made goal and have been maintaining for years based on a bunch of deals and compromises I made with myself. Perfect is the enemy of the good.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I feel you. My progress has not been a hill but rather a mountain range (with one very happy valley). I find it helpful to identify the ways I fall off the wagon and how to see the warning signs (which will be different for everyone).