Sugar/Fat/Carbs We've been misled?

Options
I wish I could post a video on here but I don't know how. This is worth watching.

http://youtu.be/mNYlIcXynwE

Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Put your flame suit on. It might get hot in here.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Just added "Fat Head" to my Netflix list.
  • mrpearson253
    mrpearson253 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So what can we do?
  • THCamel
    THCamel Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    :devil: ...Pesky carbs :mad:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. Who misled you?
  • jnettiedotson
    Options
    All the success stories on here are proof that counting cals DOES work, so although some of this is true I'm sure....every single doctor has a different outlook on things, different research, opinios...what have you. Sucks that you gotta buy the movie to see what to do about whatever he's saying. I'm thinking I will though, LOL.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Sucks that you gotta buy the movie to see what to do about whatever he's saying. I'm thinking I will though, LOL.

It's free and streaming on netflix and hulu.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Put your flame suit on. It might get hot in here.

Yes, I can see the smoke already!!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    All the success stories on here are proof that counting cals DOES work, so although some of this is true I'm sure....every single doctor has a different outlook on things, different research, opinios...what have you. Sucks that you gotta buy the movie to see what to do about whatever he's saying. I'm thinking I will though, LOL.

Counting calories to lose weight while filling oneself up on junk foods, fast food and processed food does not equate good health. There are plenty of thin or slim people that are not healthy.

That is what this site is mostly..............people that are losing weight eating tons of junky, processed frankenfoods and not making themselves healthy.

That is not how I want to live my life.
  • jnettiedotson
    Options

Counting calories to lose weight while filling oneself up on junk foods, fast food and processed food does not equate good health. There are plenty of thin or slim people that are not healthy.

That is what this site is mostly..............people that are losing weight eating tons of junky, processed frankenfoods and not making themselves healthy.

That is not how I want to live my life.

Why did you quote me? The point is, people are losing weight. That's the only point I was making, not getting all into everyone else's business on what they're eating, etc., because I don't know all that. I worry about me.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    What the name of the movie? I will put it on my nexflix
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't believe much of that video. It's almost saying that everyone who is over weight is diabetic, or at least borderline diabetic. I know for certain, that I am not either. I have had my blood sugars checked (along with everything else) and my body is still processing it just fine. I am overweight because I have eaten too much, not the opposite. And I believe in counting calories, and eating healthy and balanced nutrition to lose weight, which includes healthy carbs such as whole grain breads and pastas. Out of curiosity, I may watch the full video sometime. But I have a feeling it will irritate me! LOL Good luck to all of you trying to lose. I believe this site has helped me a lot, and I know I've made a positive lifestyle change here!
  • jnettiedotson
    Options
    I honestly don't believe much of that video. It's almost saying that everyone who is over weight is diabetic, or at least borderline diabetic. I know for certain, that I am not either. I have had my blood sugars checked (along with everything else) and my body is still processing it just fine. I am overweight because I have eaten too much, not the opposite. And I believe in counting calories, and eating healthy and balanced nutrition to lose weight, which includes healthy carbs such as whole grain breads and pastas. Out of curiosity, I may watch the full video sometime. But I have a feeling it will irritate me! LOL Good luck to all of you trying to lose. I believe this site has helped me a lot, and I know I've made a positive lifestyle change here!

^^^what she said :)
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting I already have some books by this Dr.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I assume that's Fat Head? (I can't check the link at work) I love that documentary! :)
  • bonitasprings
    bonitasprings Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The movie is called Fathead. I count calories because I know I have to create a calorie deficit in order to burn up the fat I have in storage. I hope that once I learn how to eat properly - and get over my candida/hypo-glycemia/vitiligo/food addictions - that one day I won't have to count calories.

I don't get the fire suit comment but I haven't watched the whole movie either.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I took the information from Fat Head, and formed my own opinion after watching the entire movie (Free on Hulu just have to put up with pesky commercials) I found it interesting and entertaining. I then decided to try out a little experiment on MYSELF. I try to keep my carbs in the 100 to 130g range. That being said, I also try to keep those being good carbs. If I've gone over my "goal" and I know that they were all good carbs, I don't fret too much. Yes, I'm watching my cals also. But my "problem" seems to lie with sugar. I feel better when I'm not putting processed sugar in my body. That does not mean that I've cut it completely tho, sorry, I do like my pizza. I just make it fit. I can't do something extreme in order to lose weight, only to stop and try and live my life, that's not doable for me. I have to LEARN how to make things fit, and generally eat healthy.
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    Also by the makers of "Fathead" is "Big Fat Fiasco" available in 5 short parts on youtube. Well worth a watch!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I watched Fat Head last night and you are right, it was mostly about insulin resistance, which not everyone has or will develop. But it was also very much about calories in, calories out. The guy ate crap food like McD while maintaining a calorie deficit and lost weight, which improved his health.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I watched Fat Head last night and you are right, it was mostly about insulin resistance, which not everyone has or will develop. But it was also very much about calories in, calories out. The guy ate crap food like McD while maintaining a calorie deficit and lost weight, which improved his health.

If that was your take-away from Fathead, I'm not sure we watched the same movie.