Diet

Options
My doctor has put me on a new diet! I am suppose to have less than 80 grams of carbs and more than 80 grams of protein. I am struggling to eat that much protein! Any suggestions?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Boneless skinless chicken breast. 6 ounces cooked is 50 grams of protein.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Have you been through the stickied "must reads" posts on the Food and Nutrition board yet? This one in particular should help: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1
  • lcatalan93
    lcatalan93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes and protein bars help me also just plain egg whites have alot of protein and easy to whip up!
  • QoLmatters
    QoLmatters Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Try varying your sources of protein to make it more interesting if your struggling and eat it throughout the day. For example: Eggs for breakfast, low fat milk, low fat yoghurt, nuts and seeds for snacks, chicken or fish or seafood or tofu or lentils for lunch then a different meat with your dinner. Don't forget to eat vegetables (fiber sources) with all the extra protein.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Fake meat is packed with protein. I really enjoy fake chicken and fake beef. It often has more protein per calorie than real meat. Eggs and cheese (feta) are other main sources in my diet.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    That's what supplements are designed for. To supplement your diet in areas they are deficient.

If you're having trouble hitting the protein target then buy some protein powder and start to use it. Protein powder is more than just protein shakes, you can add a scoop of protein to loads of different recipes to begin with.

One way I've used protein powder in the past is as a substitute for milk on my cereal.

2 Weet-bix & 200ml milk = 242cal / 11g protein
    2 Weet-bix & 30g Vanilla Protein (made with water) = 240cal / 28g protein

The bonus here is that Vanilla protein is sweet already so you don't need to add any sugar or artificial sweetener.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Tuna tuna tuna!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has quite a bit...add some blueberries & walnuts, yum! I also add a little honey, but probably not good for low carb.