Are you a douche bag if you wear Gym Shark?

Whenever I see someone wearing the brand Gym Shark, I judge them and think they are a total douche.

The catch to that is, I have a couple pair of Gym Shark outfits. They are comfortable and look good. But I feel awkward and insecure wearing them in public because I feel like I am being judged like I judge others who wear the brand.

Opinions??

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I've never seen people wear it in public- maybe they all think the same way as you? ;)

I used to follow a youtuber who promoted the heck out of them. It seemed like they sponsored a lot of content for youtubers and instagrammers, but if the fit, performance, and price is good, why not lean in and love yours?
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited June 2019
    People tend to think when brands are trending and popular ( esp by social media influencers) it tends to come off as you being a follower and that makes one douchey apparently. I say if the brand is practical for you and it helps you get through a workout without fuss, then it’s ok. When I buy name brands like Gucci or Versace I make sure the brand logo isn’t flashy. I think you can find a shark workout outfit without the obvious shark logo showing.
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Perhaps the first step would be not judging others based on their choice of apparel.

As long as the article of clothing is not obsense/insulting to others, I say wear whatever you feel like and let others wear whatever they feel like.

Indeed!

However, it is natural to have judging thoughts, and I am just curious if anyone else has the same. 😊

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2019
    https://www.gymshark.com/collections/t-shirts-tops/mens
    Just take a look at most of their stuff; it's pretty challenging to find something without a massive logo or something to draw one's eye towards a gym shark logo. Making a plain colored shirt or pair of pants with a teeny tiny logo is just not enough advertisement for them...simplicity, is it so much to ask for?

Similar thing with Underarmour about a decade ago when UA was the more trendy apparel company
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Apparently so
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Maybe look at how or why that perception developed for you.

I tend to look at workout wear with the eye of "I like that outfit" and if there's an opportunity, I'll ask the brand and/or where they got it (if it's not obvious to me). As far as seeing someone wearing a specific brand and assuming they are "x" type of person, I don't recall that being a thing for me.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Maybe look at how or why that perception developed for you.

I tend to look at workout wear with the eye of "I like that outfit" and if there's an opportunity, I'll ask the brand and/or where they got it (if it's not obvious to me). As far as seeing someone wearing a specific brand and assuming they are "x" type of person, I don't recall that being a thing for me.

Maybe the OP just had a couple of “bad association” incidents.

Like if you get cut off a few times by people driving Land Rovers and you say “people who drive Land Rovers are jerks”. I mean, most prolly are, but we still shouldn’t be so judgy.
This discussion has been closed.