Looking for a good read

Options
2»

Replies

• ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If you want something a little deep.... The Shack. It's a great read and will make u think.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i just finished "The New Yorkers" by Cathleen Schine and it was sooo good! its about neighbors in NY with dogs. very charming.
  • TripleJ3
    Options
    The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald.
    You Are What You Eat by Gillian McKeith.
    Great Expectations by Charles ****ens.

Edit: MFP won't let me spell Charles' last name because it contains an inappropriate word in it. Gosh.

Ha! So silly......
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Cutting for Stone is one of the best books I have read in years. Sorry to see it end....
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes to David Sedaris! Great for reading on the bus because chuckling out loud every 5 minutes weirds people out. lol.

Kurt Vonnegut (Cat's Cradle especially)

Stephen King's The Dome - It's big, but it's totally worth it.

The Help was pretty good.
    The Time Traveller's Wife by Niffeneger was good
    The Inkheart series is actually pretty good even those it's geared towards kids
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    An inspirational book I'm still reading ( and digesting) is
    Made to Crave, by Lysa TurKeurst

Been very insightful for this journey, written by someone who isn't always THRILLED to do it ( gee, can I relate)
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Best book I've read lately was Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Wasn't at all happy with The Help.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    A few co workers love The Lincoln Lawyer. The Outsiders is a quick read; The Hot Zone is good. I'm going to start on Game of Thrones when a friend is done with it.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald.
    You Are What You Eat by Gillian McKeith.
    Great Expectations by Charles ****ens.

Edit: MFP won't let me spell Charles' last name because it contains an inappropriate word in it. Gosh.
    Really MFP...FFS.

My recommendation: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. A page turner.
    http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Lincoln-Vampire-Seth-Grahame-Smith/dp/0446563080
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i love phillip pullman specifically his 'dark materials' i'm also a big fan of paulo coelho and anne rice
  • HisSonbeamer
    Options
    I loved Pillars of the Earth!
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Anything by Nicholas Sparks...

He wrote "The Notebook"
    "The Last Song"
    "Dear John"
    "A Walk to Remember"

Which were also made into great movies =) So if you liked the movies, you'll love the books!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I second the Outlander series. Just finished the third book and absolutely in love!

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen is fabulous...did not enjoy the movie so much. The old man is the best part of the book, and they completely left him out of the movie!

Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore is a captivating memoir.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I second the Outlander series. Just finished the third book and absolutely in love!

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen is fabulous...did not enjoy the movie so much. The old man is the best part of the book, and they completely left him out of the movie!

I'm anxiously awaiting the next Outlander. I've read them all and am now "re-kilting" the series on audio while I walk/run. I also enjoyed Water for Elephants, am sorry to hear the old man isn't in it. Loved the way the book ended! Guess that isn't in the movie either, huh?
  • Booboo78
    Booboo78 Posts: 169
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde.

Glad the film was true to the story as well.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options

I'm anxiously awaiting the next Outlander. I've read them all and am now "re-kilting" the series on audio while I walk/run. I also enjoyed Water for Elephants, am sorry to hear the old man isn't in it. Loved the way the book ended! Guess that isn't in the movie either, huh?

I should clarify: The old man is in the movie...but only at the very beginning and the very end. He's played by Hal Holbrook. But I think the scenes with him and the nurse in the nursing home were some of the best in the book. Don't want to give anything away, so I won't comment on the ending :x
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, and the book following it, Home. The writing is pure and crystalline.
  • TripleJ3
    Options
    bump back in my topics
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If you want something a little deep.... The Shack. It's a great read and will make u think.

Amazing book....I've read it twice and will read it again!!!