BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I cheat once a week. Yesterday I ate 5,000 calories. 😋😋😋
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Here's an example of how cutting out what you really crave can sometimes backfire... :)

ibcfkbj9sqpl.png

Sometimes, you should just eat the pie!

This is very good.

But my problem is the thing that I crave is way more than 900 cals. I can see it in my minds eye almost every minute of the day and its worse when Im reading this website because of course everyone (mostly) is talking about food and calories.
    All I can think about - I can see it right now - is a big pizza with cheese oozing off the top, massive thick crust.

A slice just wont do, I would eat the whole thing. More than capable of eating the whole thing. Thats about 4000 calories I think.

I know that if I went for it and ate some, it would set me back in that then I would get the taste for it again and would just keep eating and eating it, buying more, eating them and so on.

...you have the taste for it NOW.

Does it really have to be a whole huge pizza with a thick crust and oozy cheese? Couldn't you, say, make a smaller version?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Here's an example of how cutting out what you really crave can sometimes backfire... :)

ibcfkbj9sqpl.png

This is very good.

But my problem is the thing that I crave is way more than 900 cals. I can see it in my minds eye almost every minute of the day and its worse when Im reading this website because of course everyone (mostly) is talking about food and calories.
    All I can think about - I can see it right now - is a big pizza with cheese oozing off the top, massive thick crust.

A slice just wont do, I would eat the whole thing. More than capable of eating the whole thing. Thats about 4000 calories I think.

I know that if I went for it and ate some, it would set me back in that then I would get the taste for it again and would just keep eating and eating it, buying more, eating them and so on.

How much weight do you have to lose? How often did you eat that pizza in the past? One of my biggest revelations is how little you have to go over maintenance to become overweight. That's like 200 or fewer calories for many people unless you're morbidly obese. In some cases, pretty subtle changes can result in big losses over time. It's mentally challenging to convince ourselves that our old frequency of eating something is good enough, because dieting makes you think about that food more often so you want to eat it more often than you used. Logically, however, it's freeing to know that maintenance will only be slightly different from "good old days", if at all, if you're more active now.
  • AquaMeow
    AquaMeow Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    AquaMeow wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    What is considered a "cheat day?" If you plan to eat like an *kitten* and give no *kitten*, I guarantee that's not the way to look at it and it will completely derail any idea of progress you have in your head.

If you mean eating at a planned surplus that doesn't disrupt your net calorie intake that still puts you in a caloric deficit, then yes, by all means take the day.

Here's the thing, if you completely eliminate your favorite food(s), it only makes the temptation that much greater to cave in. Granted, some people do better via restriction instead of moderation, but make the restricted food something you have to work for. Say ice cream for example.

Don't keep it in the house and if you need to have some, go out and get a serving of it from your preferred ice cream spot, not a gallon from the grocery that you can take home. Chances are the thought of having to get dressed, get into the car, drive in the heat, walk into the store, wait in line, order, pay, wait for it to be made and served are all going to feel like more of a pain in the *kitten* than just staying home in the air conditioning.

Basically, don't make it easily available and if you want it, go get it, but on conditions, because if you could easily moderate your favorite food, this thread wouldn't exist.

Yeah I definitely make sure to keep my "favorite foods - mostly sweets) out of the house. Better yet I always take account to not eat alot of it. Like instead of eating a whole package of oreos, I buy the packs with just 6 cookies in it to help with my crave and to not overeat. Baby steps go a long way!

I find it INTERESTING that you did not mention these packs of Oreos, and these cheat days, on your thread about how you only eat tiny amounts of fruit, vegetables, yoghurt and lean meat and yet aren’t aren’t losing weight.

Its logged into my food diary.
  • nuzziek
    nuzziek Posts: 69 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I enjoy a "cheat day" on Saturday or Sunday on most weekends. But, I don't go nuts - I'm still pretty mindful of what I eat. I end up consuming a little more than volume than usual, and allow a few treats. For example, I might get a dessert after dinner, but stick with a salad for the main meal. Perhaps a cocktail too. Small indulgences. I try to "bank" some calories during the week, so that my weekly average is still at goal. For me, it was too hard to stay within my calories every weekend because we go out a lot and attend a lot of parties etc.

ETA with this approach, I've lost 34 pounds so far, and still losing.
  • AquaMeow
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    What is considered a "cheat day?" If you plan to eat like an *kitten* and give no *kitten*, I guarantee that's not the way to look at it and it will completely derail any idea of progress you have in your head.

If you mean eating at a planned surplus that doesn't disrupt your net calorie intake that still puts you in a caloric deficit, then yes, by all means take the day.

Here's the thing, if you completely eliminate your favorite food(s), it only makes the temptation that much greater to cave in. Granted, some people do better via restriction instead of moderation, but make the restricted food something you have to work for. Say ice cream for example.

Don't keep it in the house and if you need to have some, go out and get a serving of it from your preferred ice cream spot, not a gallon from the grocery that you can take home. Chances are the thought of having to get dressed, get into the car, drive in the heat, walk into the store, wait in line, order, pay, wait for it to be made and served are all going to feel like more of a pain in the *kitten* than just staying home in the air conditioning.

Basically, don't make it easily available and if you want it, go get it, but on conditions, because if you could easily moderate your favorite food, this thread wouldn't exist.

Yeah I definitely make sure to keep my "favorite foods - mostly sweets) out of the house. Better yet I always take account to not eat alot of it. Like instead of eating a whole package of oreos, I buy the packs with just 6 cookies in it to help with my crave and to not overeat. Baby steps go a long way!

I find it INTERESTING that you did not mention these packs of Oreos, and these cheat days, on your thread about how you only eat tiny amounts of fruit, vegetables, yoghurt and lean meat and yet aren’t aren’t losing weight.

Its logged into my food diary.

The food diary that the people you asked for advice can't see, and who you actively lied to when you claimed you only eat a short list of restricted foods.

I have literally no idea what you thought that would achieve.

Well tell me then how your weight loss journey is going? Did you accomplish your dreams and goals?
  • AquaMeow
    Options
    nuzziek wrote: »
    I enjoy a "cheat day" on Saturday or Sunday on most weekends. But, I don't go nuts - I'm still pretty mindful of what I eat. I end up consuming a little more than volume than usual, and allow a few treats. For example, I might get a dessert after dinner, but stick with a salad for the main meal. Perhaps a cocktail too. Small indulgences. I try to "bank" some calories during the week, so that my weekly average is still at goal. For me, it was too hard to stay within my calories every weekend because we go out a lot and attend a lot of parties etc.

ETA with this approach, I've lost 34 pounds so far, and still losing.

That's wonderful and congrats on the weight loss!!! Yes the weekends are definitely my weakness for cravings but the diary on this site is helpful for me to log in everything.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I am a lot more lenient with myself one night a week. Moderation doesn't work for me too often, but having a weekly and even monthly plan really helps my mindset. For example, planning a night out with my boyfriend on Saturday and telling myself ahead of time I can have whatever I want, helps me throughout the week. I also decide at the beginning of the month how many "oops" days I get for the whole month. An "oops" day for me is from an app I use, and it means I didn't eat according to my plan, and I also didn't work out that day. This month I am allowing myself 2 of those days.

It doesn't have to be this complicated for a lot of people, but depending on your habits and willpower, putting rules like this in place has really helped me so far.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I personally don't do cheat days. Also, I (from my past experience) know that cutting food out does not work for me. You have to find a balance and work with it. That will be difference for everyone. If you have a "perfect day" or "days", don't fuse. Own the result, good or bad and either build on the success or learn from it and move on.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I can't cheat on my life and my plan is my life. If I screw up and eat something that causes me to end the day higher than I would like it is life and part of my plan because my plan allows for mistakes. If I am feeling low or poorly and I need to eat a little more than normal it is my plan.

I don't deprive myself of things I want I budget them into my calories. I bank enough calories during the week to eat my maintenance calories once a week that gives me something to look forward to. I also allow more calories on holidays and special occasions. Just because I am losing weight doesn't mean my life stops.

• AquaMeow
    Options
    I cheat once a week. Yesterday I ate 5,000 calories. 😋😋😋

Ohhh lawd xD
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options

ibcfkbj9sqpl.png

This is very good.

How much weight do you have to lose? How often did you eat that pizza in the past? One of my biggest revelations is how little you have to go over maintenance to become overweight. That's like 200 or fewer calories for many people unless you're morbidly obese. In some cases, pretty subtle changes can result in big losses over time. It's mentally challenging to convince ourselves that our old frequency of eating something is good enough, because dieting makes you think about that food more often so you want to eat it more often than you used. Logically, however, it's freeing to know that maintenance will only be slightly different from "good old days", if at all, if you're more active now.

It was never a surprise to me to know how little extra you have to eat to maintain or become overweight. I just struggled to do anything about it. hopefully that has changed and will continue now.

How often - weekly
    How much weight to lose - the tables say I should lose 140lbs but realistically for me I think about 100lbs. My first target is 65 and I have now lost 15 of those. I have a long way to go!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

ibcfkbj9sqpl.png

This is very good.

It was never a surprise to me to know how little extra you have to eat to maintain or become overweight. I just struggled to do anything about it. hopefully that has changed and will continue now.

How often - weekly
    How much weight to lose - the tables say I should lose 140lbs but realistically for me I think about 100lbs. My first target is 65 and I have now lost 15 of those. I have a long way to go!

You're in my boat then. It is a bit tougher to maintain some of your favorite old habits unchanged when they used to be frequent and you have 100+ lbs to lose. Luckily, I only ate pizza maybe once every few months when I was morbidly obese, so keeping that habit unchanged has not affected my weight loss much. I still eat pizza as often as I used to eat it in the same amount I used to eat it.
  • AquaMeow
    Options

ibcfkbj9sqpl.png

This is very good.

How often - weekly

You're in my boat then. It is a bit tougher to maintain some of your favorite old habits unchanged when they used to be frequent and you have 100+ lbs to lose. Luckily, I only ate pizza maybe once every few months when I was morbidly obese, so keeping that habit unchanged has not affected my weight loss much. I still eat pizza as often as I used to eat it in the same amount I used to eat it.

Ahhhhh pizza is my favorite food.