Negative comments

Options
2»

Replies

• alondrakar
    alondrakar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My MIL does this quite a bit. I personally know that she is unhappy with her weight so everyone is right... they do make these comments in order to feel better about themselves. Shut them down and move on with your progress. Don't let them get to you!
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Jadu786 wrote: »
    I hate it when people make negative comments for no reason! Like my aunt was telling my mom and dad I have gained weight since the last time she saw me.. I haven’t and I’m in much better shape then any or her kids .. so she should not talk ..

I just say "And you're looking a little older today, Helen." Implying, of course, that I may be fat but I will always be younger than you. :)
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Jadu786 wrote: »
    I hate it when people make negative comments for no reason! Like my aunt was telling my mom and dad I have gained weight since the last time she saw me.. I haven’t and I’m in much better shape then any or her kids .. so she should not talk ..

Hit her with your best "Shut your mouth or I will do bad things" look.

VljowsZ.gif

Then quietly tell her you wouldn't trade the worst part of you for the best part of her.

Or...you could be the bigger person. Smile, Acknowledge the comment, then tell her your clothes don't fit any more and ask if she has some larger clothes you can borrow. :)
  • Wallelf56
    Wallelf56 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Them: ~some left-handed comment ~
    Me: ~smiling~ "Thank you! Did that make you feel better?"
    Them: ~confused look~
    Me: ~makes polite excuse to be somewhere else ~
    Them: ~usually standing there with an open mouth~
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My 15 yo son recently lost a good amount of weight, mostly in his stomach. He's feeling great and I'm proud of him. Why did one of my inlaws say, "but you still have arms and legs like a sack of hams, you're not losing fast enough". Same woman who thinks her 4X wearing hubby is being emaciated by the nursing home. I'm sure if someone said anything about her lymphedema legs she'd be in tears. Shes just screwed up.

My son took it in stride, but I told her to watch it.