Do you lose muscle if you do HIIT fasted?

Some articles were saying you do and you should just stick to low to moderate cardio. I like doing fasted HIIT in the morning and I don’t feel tired or anything. I am just concerned about the muscle loss thing. And also it adds cortisol?!

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i would like to mention that lifting specifically is not required to maintain muscle tissue. just strength training of any sort.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    The best way to preserve muscle in a deficit is to run a progressive lifting program. Also getting adequate protein and not being too aggressive with your weight loss according to your stats.

• peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 308 Member
    when you do HIIT properly, you don't just feel like you are going to die, you are praying you will die. I don't think you are actually doing HIIT as sijmial said.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Between this and your protein thread, it appears you are "majoring in the minors". Do the work and fuel your body. The rest is just noise.

bolaafcb6hiv.jpg

Sleep is at the top of the pyramid where you would categorize it as "noise"?

I would disagree with this. Without adequate sleep your "gainz" will be short lived.

We breakdown our bodies in the gym. We recover outside of the gym. There's no possible way to train harder than your recovery will allow. If you want to keep or even add muscle, prioritize sleep.