Salty Snacks?!

Options
I'm really craving salty snacks, why do nuts have to have so much fat?! :grumble: Low fat crisps and air popped popcorn are getting boring.. any other suggestions? Please help lol :tongue:

Replies

• CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    pickles, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers and onions in vinegar are all good, low cal options :-)
  • danckuntz
    danckuntz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    check the grocery store, they have flavorings to put on the popcorn. Keeps the taste buds happy!
  • nstuart79
    Options
    baked chips or pretzels are always good
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It's healthy fat that's in nuts, that makes all the difference. A number of recipes on here of roasted veggies with seasoning, like Kale Chips, Carrot Chips, Zucchini Chips..and the list goes on.. They really are good and satisfy that crunch/salty mood.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Fat isn't a bad thing. Our bodies do need it to survive. The nuts would be good for you.
  • kizzy67
    kizzy67 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel girl!!! im a salt craver too. Especially potato chips. So I do let myself have them, but I dont eat the whole bag...I actually measure the 50g out and savor every last chip. That that usually does it for me. So for 250cal for that amount, once in a while, I think is ok. Oh and one more thing...if I do have chips...I make sure to drink alot of extra water because of the salt.
  • farmerred
    Options
    low fat pretzels, sunflower seeds in the shell, sometimes a low fat cheese stick takes my salt cravings away - hope this helps
  • Tabby1980
    Tabby1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    danckuntz - not in the uk :cry: I wish we did have popcorn sprinkles but I can only get them mail order which gets expensive. Pickles is a good idea though :happy:
    I know the fat in nuts is good but I want to eat too many of them lol!
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Beef/turkey/buffalo jerky is salty, low cal, and high protein, avoid the national brands (Jack Links, Oberto etc) though because they are loaded with meat softeners. If I absolutely have to eat chips, I go for pop chips about 120 calories for 20 chips (and yes you have to count).
  • Ceceamanda
    Ceceamanda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I keep a bag of Sally's pita chips for a quick snack. After just a few it's curbed my salt craving. Pickles too.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle butter buds on plain air popped popcorn (I get it from Lakeland) also i am loving the humzinger roasted soya beans from Tesco, they are slightly salty and not as much fat as nuts
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Pop Chips
    Pickles (zero cals!!!)
    Jerky
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Kashi makes pita crisps that are SO salty but so good!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    How about wasabi peas?

I love wasabi, and wasabi peanuts are great, but I'm not keen on peas so haven't got round to trying them yet but they're far lower in calories than wasabi peanuts. :)
  • Tabby1980
    Options
    Wasabi peas and roasted soya beans sound great :D thanks peeps!
  • Vickilick
    Vickilick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I eat pom bears and twiglets, but I dont know if these would be salty enough for you. But both of these are under 100 cal.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I eat a tin of tuna to fix my salt cravings.
    But I'm not too worried about my sodium levels, I often put a little salt on my salads...
  • Tabby1980
    Options
    If anyone else in the UK is looking for a savoury snack idea I've just discovered Morrison's Vegetable Crackers - they are scrummy and only 72 calories / 1.6 grams of fat for 10 crackers! :love:
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Roasted seed mix. Hit up Holland and Barratt, buy a load of seed that you like (I usually do sunflower, sesame, pumpkin, flax and linseed) then put them on a baking try, sprinkle soy sauce and chilli powder over to taste, or you can use salt and pepper, mix it all together and roast in the oven for 10-15 mins. Salty, tasty goodness.

I'm a vegetarian, so I tend to fry a couple of Quorn Fillets in a bit of oil, then chop them up and season and eat them as a savoury snack, though I appreciate that's not going to be too appetising to a meat eater!