Looking for a cheap cell phone plan

glassyo
glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
Ok, so I have a cell phone from Tracfone for emergencies (which I never keep on me anyway sooooo....)

I can't even text on the Tracfone phone and my boss keeps saying how it would be nice if I had a cell phone so he can text me things. Personally, I'm trying to avoid him calling me for every little thing he can't find or needs help with or wants me to come in for something or another by NOT having a real cell phone. :)

I basically want something cheap with unlimited talk and text and maybe 1 or 2 gbs of data usage included for looking up stuff and emails or youtube videos or whatever. I would have to buy an actual updated phone from this century and want to keep that cheap too since I'm shelling out big bucks right now for some dental work and my dentist and oral surgeon want the money upfront.

I'm just really confused by where to look. I get emails from Republic Wireless and they're cheap but very limited in phones to buy. I'd normally go for amazon to buy a phone but then they're talking about sim cards and I really don't want to have to walk into a store and I don't think Republic has one anyway.

So, I guess, who has suggestions on where to look for phones/phone plans that would fit my situation?

Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    This spring I bought a Note 8 for about 1/3 what it cost a year and a half ago. I bought it used at a store that doesn't have their inventory online, and you said you don't want to walk into a store, not also that you have other uses for your money, so I'm pointing out that this option exists. The cheapest phones available might frustrate you, a higher end model from a couple years ago will have things like a good camera.

I used Metro PCS for a while, they had a plan like you're looking for. Also T-Mobile prepaid.
  • Kbtm6419
    Kbtm6419 Posts: 22 Member
    Walmart’s straight talk you can get like a $25 phone and $35 a month
  • glassyo
    This spring I bought a Note 8 for about 1/3 what it cost a year and a half ago. I bought it used at a store that doesn't have their inventory online, and you said you don't want to walk into a store, not also that you have other uses for your money, so I'm pointing out that this option exists. The cheapest phones available might frustrate you, a higher end model from a couple years ago will have things like a good camera.

I used Metro PCS for a while, they had a plan like you're looking for. Also T-Mobile prepaid.

LOL I think I had to reread that sentence about online inventory like 5 times before I realized why you were saying it. Yeah, the only reason I don't want to go into a store is because I don't have the patience to just stand around anymore. I need to be moving if I'm up so if I can do something online, I will.

But you're right about being frustrated by the cheaper phones. I can't do much on my current phone (which is fine with me) but if I get a smart phone, I'm going to want the bells and whistles juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust in case. :)

I did check out Metro PCS and Straight Talk and a couple other prepaid plans but nothing jumped out at me. I'll check again.

I'm still leaning towards Republic Wireless now that I understand the sim thing so now I know I can buy a phone Republic doesn't have for sale on their website and get it off amazon instead if I have to.

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Kbtm6419 wrote: »
    Walmart’s straight talk you can get like a $25 phone and $35 a month

I have straight talk. Provides me everything I need for my phone.
  • glassyo
    Any problems with Straight Talk at all? Dropped calls? Stuff like that?
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Check out Mint Mobile, runs off of T Mobile and if you prepay for a year it's 15/month for unlimited talk/text/3g data and 3gb of 4g.

Here's a referral link for $15 off, if you give it a shot.
    http://fbuy.me/m7sbF
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    My dad uses Straight Talk from Walmart and has no problems at all. He has a $30-something smartphone that works well for his needs, it's a no name brand but who cares. I hope you find the right plan for you.

We use Ting (online only company that runs on other big companies' networks) and I love it. We have used it for 5 years now. For a shared plan w/ 2 smartphones it's only like $34 per month total BUT we use very limited data, connecting to wifi almost always (at work and at home) for data usage. When we are on vacations and using much more data on the road it ups our monthly bill but not too badly, always under $50/month. I wouldn't recommend Ting though for people who really want to be free or unlimited with their mobile data usage as that's where it can become more expensive.

I personally think your boss/company should provide your phone if they are requesting it. Just my opinion! I know these days most bosses probably do expect people to at least be available via text but I still think they ought to shoulder that burden if it's going to be a frequent contact situation.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited June 2019
    glassyo wrote: »
    Any problems with Straight Talk at all? Dropped calls? Stuff like that?

Not that I've experienced. I've been on it 3 years.
  • glassyo
    Ok, I'll dig deeper on Straight Talk. They're pretty close, at least phonewise, to what Tracfone's offering and I was trying to get away from them.

Ting looked promising but I couldn't really tell how much coverage I'd really be getting and sooooo much no on those phones. :)

You guys have a point about asking my boss about paying for the phone/plan but I'd probably have an easier time asking him to help pay my dental bills! :) This isn't really a constant contact thing. It's more for ease of getting me info instead emailing it or writing it down for me.

But, yeah, when his ex girl friend was working here she was on constant call for him (she was happy to do it tho) and, as much as I don't mind taking over a some of the errands she ran for him (anything to get out of the office), I don't want it to turn into calling me at 10:00 pm because our server went down and he has no patience. :)