3 or 6 meals a day

Options
What are your thoughts on 3 or 6 meals a day?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I tried doing multiple smaller meals and it was an epic fail. That's just my experience, though.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I do three meals and two snacks. Breakfast is tiny so sometimes my dessert or afternoon snack is actually bigger than my breakfast. Whatever you call it, I generally eat five times a day.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I do about 4 to 5 most days. But sometimes I do less. I find that smaller meals tend to keep me satiated and within my goals. But many others here have success on 2 or even 1. It's all about what you find keeps you fullest and helps you keep your goals.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I prefer larger meals and room for evening snacks, so I tend toward two meals a day. It's funny how different everyone's hunger cues can be.

Personal preference and what works best for you is the important thing.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Yep, frequency isn't a big deal beyond personal preference.

If your calorie target is 1800cal then 1x1800 is the same as 2x900 is the same as 3x600 is the same as 9x200 or any other combination you care to try.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    The best schedule (1, 3, 6, all-day light grazing, snacks or no, whatever) is the one that keeps you, personally, most full, satisfied and energetic; and fits in your overall life in a practical way.

If you feel full/satisfied most of the time, and aren't trying to do things that are impractical, you're much more likely to stick with the plan for the weeks to months that it will take to reach a healthy weight.

If you're energetic, you're unlikely to drag through the day, resting/sleeping more, and therefore burning fewer calories just living everyday life (which would be counterproductive for a weight management goal).

If your plan is practical, and doesn't require you to do things that are too difficult or time-consuming or socially isolating, you're also more likely to be able to stick with it long term, and it will help you to best understand what you'll need to do very long term to stay at a healthy weight permanently, while happy with your life at the same time.

So, experiment with what works for you.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I do 3 meals with lighter snacks between breakfast and lunch, between lunch and dinner, and after dinner. Works for me.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I prefer larger meals and no snacks, I really don't enjoy snacks and wouldn't want to waste calories on them when I could have the calories in a meal, and I enjoy eating 3 times a day. Therefore, I currently prefer 3 meals. However, as you can see from the above, it's a matter of personal preference and people have a huge variety of preferences.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that as long as you eat everything you are supposed to in a day, it doesn't have a huge impact when you do it.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I tend to do 2 meals per day plus snacks or deserts. I like to eat more later so save my breakfast calories for later on.
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 meals mini every 4 hours and works for me. I break each meal into half portions. Snack 3x day
  • rissa_rawrr
    rissa_rawrr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 mini meals, I feel much better eating smaller meals through out the day rather trying to eat more at once fewer times a day..
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I do coffee with sweetened cream for breakfast, a protein bar for lunch and an 800 calorie dinner. If I still have left over calories, I'll eat almonds or walnuts to make up the deficit.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-4 meals per day and snack as needed. My hunger changes daily depending on several factors.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    eat the number of meals/snacks that helps keep you full adn stay on track. there is no right answer. just right FOR YOU answer.

you can experiment with various options over month to find out what does or does not work for you.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    I usually go with 2 meals and a whole bunch of snacks.
  • AquaMeow
    AquaMeow Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on 3 or 6 meals a day?

I do 2 at most and if I do 3 my third is small.