Glute Pain (illiac crest?)

Options
billkansas
billkansas Posts: 267 Member
This is probably a pointless post and I should just go to the doctor but here goes anyway. I'm having some mild glute pain when I squat and deadlift. It is high on my left butt cheek. I can still squat and deadlift although I've deloaded a bit because it does bother me. Hurts only very slightly out of the gym (after squat or deadlift day). In fact, I've dropped my lifts by 10-20% for a few weeks hoping it would heal- it hasn't. Any general advice from those who've had a similar injury? Here's an image with red arrow on the exact location of the pain: kaataro4chto.jpg

Replies

• Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Look at trigger point therapy for hamstrings, piriformis and abductors. Get yourself a pressure ball and locate the points or use fingers.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    TBH it doesn't sound Dr. worthy, and I never thought I'd say that on MFP. To me it sounds more like your glutes are tight or spasming. If it's right along the iliac crest/ilum it's where your glutes attach (could be max/med.min depending on area). I agree to take a lax ball to the area and see if that helps. Also adding some mobility work to your routine regularly could be beneficial overall.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Mobility work, generally speaking, does a body good! Very good! Were I not to do mobility work then I am sure that the times that I have injured myself would be much worse!
  • jshaw2025
    jshaw2025 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do you keep a wallet in your pocket most days, by chance?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I had that on and off during my first year of lifting. I warm up with some dynamic stretching and then add some yoga poses for the lower back. I do the poses again at the end of my workout. Haven't had an issue with it for several years now. These are the poses I do: https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/heal-your-lower-back-pain-with-these-5-yoga-poses
  • billkansas
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. Clearly, I'm poorly educated on fitness as I had to google search both "mobility work" and "trigger point therapy". I also hate to spend time stretching in the gym because I'm always in such a time crunch. I'll try to fit this in when I'm at home though and see what happens.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Pigeon pose
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Pigeon pose

That is, by far, my favorite one and the one I believe helped me the most.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    billkansas wrote: »
    Thanks for everyone's input. Clearly, I'm poorly educated on fitness as I had to google search both "mobility work" and "trigger point therapy". I also hate to spend time stretching in the gym because I'm always in such a time crunch. I'll try to fit this in when I'm at home though and see what happens.

It is best to stretch muscles that are already warmed up. That’s why they recommend that you stretch after a workout rather than before. Take that into consideration.
  • billkansas
    Options
    Well, just an update a year later. I've deloaded, deloaded, deloaded and keep thinking backing of heavier squats and deadlifts would help but to no avail. Still having left glute pain and weakness which really occurs at the top of my squat just as I am almost at the top of the lift. In addition, I did a bunch of yard work and walking this weekend and had significant glute pain the next day (even though my squat and deadlift workouts the previous week were relatively light weights compared to my max).

Any advice? Probably time to see the doctor.. which I still haven't done.

Some additional info: I got sick of deloading and tried several heavier one rep squats yesterday (at low volume) and my left glute hurt and was weak for most of the day. Now today though, it feels pretty good and I can just barely feel any evidence of soreness. So, just a strange problem that seems intent on keeping me from making progress in the squat and deadlift (my two favorite lifts).

Thanks for any additional advice or experiences offered!!!
  • RipDon
    RipDon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you didn't read any of the suggestions posted by other members a year ago or atleast you didn't apply any of them on a regular basis.

Your issue is either mobility (muscle tightness), bulging disc or a pinched nerve. Go see a good chiropractor. But if you've gone a whole year with that pain, it's maybe not that serious.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I had a similar pain and I found a chiropractor who specializes in soft tissue work for sports injuries. He said I had a little muscle hernia. The regular doctors never found anything but he pushed it back and gave me a regimen that works and it healed. I’ve had lower back/glute pain and spasms in and off for years and the number one thing that helps is to take a brisk walk right after waking up. NOT stretching, stabilizing. Stretching the glutes (pigeon etc ) makes it worse because the hip flexor and psoas are usually the things that are too tight, pulling the lower back. I wouldn’t have believed it but if my glute or sacrum starts hurting, I wake up early and walk every day for a couple days and it resolves. Just me but worth a try.
  • lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It’s possible you have weak hip flexors. Is your day job sitting down a lot? If so then they will be your issue. Your glutes are easily switched off from long periods of sitting.

I would suggest - leg swings before every workout 15 each leg, it’s dynamic stretching so it won’t affect your lifts.

Split squats for your hip flexors
    And banded Glute walks to help wake up and strengthen your glutes.

Mobility drills are useful at the end of a workout.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Trigger point therapy into glute min/med & quadratus lumborum
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As a massage therapist i deal with this all the time. Go get a good deep tissue massage from a licensed therapist. They need to work out your glutes, hams, QL, and probably back erector muscles.

Some ice compressions on the spot might help too to knock out any inflammation.