Eating healthier when obese and pregnant?

Options
zmz87
zmz87 Posts: 9 Member
I was trying to lose weight unsuccessfully, then I found out I was pregnant. I am 5’2 and weight about 185, still early in my first trimester, no nausea. I spoke with my OB who suggested gaining 10-15lb total for my whole pregnancy.
We have figured out that I need to eat 2200 calories a day for the first trimester (maintenance) 2450 during second and 3rd trimester.

I am working on whole grains, fresh fruits, vegetables, grilled meats with the occasional fried food, if paired with non fried sides.

Macros about 50% carbs, 25% fats, and 25% protein is my goal.

My main problem is when I eat healthier, I get full super quick, then come close to half of my goal for calories. If I don’t focus on my calories or eating healthier and just eat when hungry and binge, I eat junk and can easily go to 3000-4000 calories in one day.

I can’t do peanut butter, allergic to bananas,
Cravings have been soft oatmeal raisin cookies, skim milk, regular cheese, strawberries, watermelon, and salsa.

Any help or advice will be helpful. I just want to be as healthy as possible this pregnancy.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Can you eat healthier as the foundation of your diet, them eat some treats? Would you overeat them if you aren't hungry?

And if you're craving fruit, cheese, and milk, why not have that?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Remember to get plenty vegetables especially in later stages of pregnancy and during breastfeeding as apparently what a baby becomes acustomed to tasting in amniotic fluid and breast milk shapes it's taste in food once weaned. Apparently a good strategy to prevent ending up with a picky eater is a varied diet while pregnant and breastfeeding.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/apr/08/child-food-preferences-womb-pregnancy-foetus-taste-flavours
  • zmz87
    zmz87 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a cup of frozen or fresh strawberries daily. I have milk in the morning with breakfast. Eat a slice of cheese on a small potato, sometimes grilled cheese sandwiches, MAC and cheese, and salsa and chips is a weakness.

Today I had high fiber cereal and milk for breakfast. I was too full to eat the sausage links I had planned for extra protein. My husband bbq’d so I am planning on eating 2 hamburger patties with 1 cup of beans for lunch and dinner together. I just had less than 1/2 for lunch and I am stuffed.
    And for snacks strawberries, 1 bag of popcorn, pickles, and a small Orange. I will be at about 1800 calories, if I eat everything. I have also had lemon and lime infused water all day.

Now if I eat fast food I have no problem getting 2200 calls plus in 1 meal, but I am trying to only eat fast food once a week with portion control.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you know what you need to do. You have a calorie goal and now you just have to find a happy medium between low calorie foods and high calorie foods. Your cravings sound like a good mix.

I ate like crap my whole pregnancy. Before getting pregnant I lost over 100lbs and had no problem limiting my calorie intake but the second I got pregnant I just couldn't do it anymore, it was extremely frustrating seeing a number that I couldn't go over even if I felt hungry or had a craving. So I would drink a V8 every day and made sure to get all of my nutrients at least.

So my advice would be to at least make sure you're eating all your recommended servings of veggies/fruits, take your prenatal vitamin and any other supplements your doctor recommended, and don't go crazy worrying about every little thing you put in your body food wise. Pregnancy hormones are real and really mess with your appetite.

Congratulations on the pregnancy and I hope all goes well ! :smile: