From Chronically Ill to Totally Fit!

Options
I'd like to start a support/motivation group here on MFP for people that are dealing with chronic illness and/or injury in addition to being overweight. As anyone with a chronic illness knows, it r-o-u-g-h to try to exercise and eat right when you spend much of your time not feeling well. I include psychiatric illnesses under the umbrella of chronic illness as well.

I myself suffer from chronic, frequent, debilitating migraine headaches as well as obsessive-compulsive disorder. The migraines often knock me flat on my back in a dark, cold room for days at a time. They cause vomiting and dizziness and sensitivity to light and sound not to mention the searing pain. I am, of course, under the care of about 50 million doctors, who all support my diet and exercise goals. But I know it's going to be hard because I'm not at that stage where I enjoy working out yet. If I spend half my week laying in bed, the last thing I want to do is spend the rest of the week on the treadmill. But I have to do it. It has been suggested that diet and exercise will help with the migraines I've been suffering with for 8 years and the anxiety I've been suffering with for 14 years.

So join me on my journey. You don't have to do anything special, just post on this board as much as you're comfortable but at least once a week. In each entry you post, include three positive things that have happened since you last posted. In the midst of a chronic illness, it sometimes feels like nothing good ever happens. So share with us, so we can remind each other. Also share your low moments: did your asthma cut your workout short, did you have a panic attack and have to leave your aerobics class, did a migraine keep you flat on your back for three days? Let us know, because we understand. We've been there.

In your first post, I would ideally like you to introduce yourself. Tell us your starting weight, your current weight, your ultimate goal weight and any mini-goals you might have. Let us know which chronic illnesses/injuries are a part of your story. And don't forget your three positive things! The abbreviations are: H=height, SW=starting weight, RSW=restart weight (some of you might not have this), UGW=ultimate goal weight, MG=mini goal.

H: 5'3"
SW: 200
RSW: 188.75
CW: 183.5
UGW: 110

MG1: Lose 5 lbs. from my restart weight - Met on 8/26/11!
MG2: Make it into the 170's for the first time in, well, too long
MG3: Get down to 169.75, where I will no longer be obese according to my BMI
MG4: Make it to 165 by Halloween
MG5: Make it to 145 by New Year's Eve
MG6: Make it to 135 by my boyfriend's and my 5-year anniversary at the end of January
MG7: Make it to 110 by the end of April 2012!

Replies

• jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    IDK if what I have is under your umbrella, but it is technically a "chronic" illness. I have a severe case of PCOS, and I am stuck with it for life! The only thing I can do to manage it is lose weight.. I am under the impression from my doctor once I lose weight it will be as if I dont have it anymore =] . PCOS is super hard to explain and I barely understand it myself! I do know that if affects prettty much every part of me and has been the reason for most of my weight gain =[. It has messed with my insulin BIG TIME and I was told losing weight for me is going to be VERY HARD! I am on medication for it and I really hope its helping =]
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hi!

H: 5'4.5"
    SW: 191 (lbs)
    CW: 142.75
    UGW: 130(ish)

MG1: 140 lbs (10 stone barrier, would like to be here by 29th September - start of university term)
    MG2: 136 lbs (would like to be here by 3rd December - end of university term)
    MG3: 133 lbs (would like to be here by 15th January - start of university term)
    MG4: 130 lbs (would like to be here by 10th March - end of university term)

I suffer from depression (technically not chronic) and psychosis (chronic). I'm medicated now (with medication that suppresses the feeling of being full, causing you to eat more) but when I'm at a low point I tend to turn to food for comfort. Sometimes the psychosis interferes with my cognitive ability and this leads to missing work deadlines etc., and the stress tends to send me foodwards. I have social anxiety, especially regarding my weight.

Positive Thing 1: I took my first pole dancing class (one on one) on Wednesday and did not feel self-conscious, and am going to arrange another one.
    Positive Thing 2: Last Sunday I ran my first 5K with a time 33:17.
    Positive Thing 3: My psychiatrist has declared me fit for going back to university.

Low point: No major low points so far this week.
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome type 3, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Chronic Pain, Chronic Fatigue. Wheelchair user. Full time psychology undergraduate student :)

H: 5'5"
    SW: 225
    CW: 201.9
    UW: 147

Goal 1: 200
    Goal 2: 190
    Goal 3: 180
    Goal 4: 170
    Goal 5: 160
    Goal 6: 150
    Goal 7: 147

Body Fat Goals:

Starting 26.9% BF
    Goal 1: 25%
    Goal 2: 22.5%
    Goal 3: 20%
    Goal 4: 18%
  • valguthrie2915
    Options
    Ok let me start off by saying I think this is a great idea to be able to share you struggles and the high points with others who have chronic illnesses. Thanks for the message board.

@ Jazzy - PCOS is a chronic illness I have struggled with it for years and it kept me from having children. Make sure you take your meds faithfully or you will gain weight like crazy. I have been on Glucophage for my PCOS for years. I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago and I thought the PCOS would go away once I no longer had ovaries...uh wrong. Apparently even men can get PCOS...so be prepared to fight with it for the rest of your life.

Now a little about me as I said above I have PCOS, migraines, cluster headaches, asthma, and emphysema. The PCOS makes me insulin resistant so all of the sugar I ingest is stored as fat if I am not on my medication. I have had migraines and cluster headaches for years. My cluster headache cycles last anywhere from 2 days to multiple months at a time. During these headache cycles be it migraine or cluster headache excercise exacerbates the headaches. It takes all of my strength just to get up and go to work each day. I currently have 75% lung function so I have to be careful excercising because I get winded very easily even using my inhaler prior to excercise. Certain strength training excercises put a strain on my lungs due to the fact that they constrict my diaphram making it difficult for me to complete sets. Add to that whenever I get a respiratory infection or a lung exacerbation I am put on steroids and that adds at least 20lbs each time. Lastly I had a hysterectomy at age 31 and due to the fact that I had Stage IV Endometriosis my doctor refused to put me on hormones so my body thinks it has went through menopause and it makes it harder to lose weight. All in all losing weight with chronic health issues is a struggle.

H 5'4"
    SW 289
    CW 277
    UGW 120

MG to be under 200lbs by my birthday on 02/15

3 positive things....drinking over 80 oz of water a day has cleared up my acne caused by my PCOS

love the energy I get from being more active

insomnia has decreased since I am eating better

Negative...I went to the doctor's office this week his scales said I haven't lost any weight, my home scales say I actually weight 271, and the gym scales say 274 so I don't know what I weigh today...
  • chedeco
    chedeco Posts: 109
    Options
    So excited to hear from you all! I'm on my way to yoga and accupuncture (my most recent endeavors to try and kick these migraines) but I'll write more when I get back. I don't know a lot about PCOS but it definitely sounds like it falls under the category of chronic illness. I'm not too hung up on labels. If you feel you have a chronic illness/injury, join us and let us support you! Here's to a happy healthy afternoon!
  • chedeco
    Options
    I didn't forget about checking in with you guys! I had a particularly unfortunate low point tonight when I ended up in the Emergency Room with a severe migraine, accompanied by nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and sensitivity to light and I sound. I got there at 7 pm and just arrived home at 2 am. It was a looooong night. But they gave me fluids and anti-nausea meds and pain meds and things are better now, though not perfect. Once again, I find myself coming in under my daily calorie goal because, let's face it, I was not able to eat or drink because of the migraine. I REALLY hope I haven't sent my body into starvation mode. We'll see what the scale says soon enough.

In other news, I had my first NSV (non-scale victory) today. Actually, I had two. My yoga teacher, whom I hadn't seen in two weeks, said "You look fantastic!" in reference to my weight loss. Towards the end of our session, I was able to successfully maintain the "Half-Moon" pose, whereas two weeks ago I fell on my face when trying it. I'm getting stronger and more flexible!

I guess I'll count those as two of my "positive things", so the third one is...well, all of the doctors and nurses were really nice to me at the ER tonight which is most definitely not always the case since migraines are so misunderstood. But the doc listened to me and allowed me to make decisions about which medications were right for my body, the phlebotomist got my IV started on the first try (I have ridiculously tiny veins that love to hide), and my nurse was super understanding, supportive, and helpful. I have to go to bed now, the meds are kind of knocking me out. Here's to a pain-free Saturday for all of us! And for my fellow East Coasters, watch out for Irene and stay safe!
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    Ok let me start off by saying I think this is a great idea to be able to share you struggles and the high points with others who have chronic illnesses. Thanks for the message board.

@ Jazzy - PCOS is a chronic illness I have struggled with it for years and it kept me from having children. Make sure you take your meds faithfully or you will gain weight like crazy. I have been on Glucophage for my PCOS for years. I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago and I thought the PCOS would go away once I no longer had ovaries...uh wrong. Apparently even men can get PCOS...so be prepared to fight with it for the rest of your life.

Now a little about me as I said above I have PCOS, migraines, cluster headaches, asthma, and emphysema. The PCOS makes me insulin resistant so all of the sugar I ingest is stored as fat if I am not on my medication. I have had migraines and cluster headaches for years. My cluster headache cycles last anywhere from 2 days to multiple months at a time. During these headache cycles be it migraine or cluster headache excercise exacerbates the headaches. It takes all of my strength just to get up and go to work each day. I currently have 75% lung function so I have to be careful excercising because I get winded very easily even using my inhaler prior to excercise. Certain strength training excercises put a strain on my lungs due to the fact that they constrict my diaphram making it difficult for me to complete sets. Add to that whenever I get a respiratory infection or a lung exacerbation I am put on steroids and that adds at least 20lbs each time. Lastly I had a hysterectomy at age 31 and due to the fact that I had Stage IV Endometriosis my doctor refused to put me on hormones so my body thinks it has went through menopause and it makes it harder to lose weight. All in all losing weight with chronic health issues is a struggle.

H 5'4"
    SW 289
    CW 277
    UGW 120

MG to be under 200lbs by my birthday on 02/15

3 positive things....drinking over 80 oz of water a day has cleared up my acne caused by my PCOS

love the energy I get from being more active

insomnia has decreased since I am eating better

Negative...I went to the doctor's office this week his scales said I haven't lost any weight, my home scales say I actually weight 271, and the gym scales say 274 so I don't know what I weigh today...

Yea, my doctor told me that I will have it forever. .. that if I lose weight it will just make all the symptoms go away. Sucks so bad! So, I am on metformin now.. If I lose all the weight and then get off my medication I will gain it all back??? I know for a FACT PCOS makes you gain like crazy!! I lost 30 lbs last year and gained it ALL back plus 25-30 extra because of the PCOS =[ I worked so hard and ate right to lose all that weight. I had no idea I had the PCOS. I wish I had known. I feel like I could have taken the steps I am taking now to get it under control. **sigh**

I must admit I am really BAD about taking my metformin. It makes me feel like crap so IDK if thats why I always "forget" it. lol.. I know bad =[ But I am here to get healthier and that includes taking my meds everyday!

PS: I say you weight 271 =] lol!
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    I didn't forget about checking in with you guys! I had a particularly unfortunate low point tonight when I ended up in the Emergency Room with a severe migraine, accompanied by nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and sensitivity to light and I sound. I got there at 7 pm and just arrived home at 2 am. It was a looooong night. But they gave me fluids and anti-nausea meds and pain meds and things are better now, though not perfect. Once again, I find myself coming in under my daily calorie goal because, let's face it, I was not able to eat or drink because of the migraine. I REALLY hope I haven't sent my body into starvation mode. We'll see what the scale says soon enough.

In other news, I had my first NSV (non-scale victory) today. Actually, I had two. My yoga teacher, whom I hadn't seen in two weeks, said "You look fantastic!" in reference to my weight loss. Towards the end of our session, I was able to successfully maintain the "Half-Moon" pose, whereas two weeks ago I fell on my face when trying it. I'm getting stronger and more flexible!

I guess I'll count those as two of my "positive things", so the third one is...well, all of the doctors and nurses were really nice to me at the ER tonight which is most definitely not always the case since migraines are so misunderstood. But the doc listened to me and allowed me to make decisions about which medications were right for my body, the phlebotomist got my IV started on the first try (I have ridiculously tiny veins that love to hide), and my nurse was super understanding, supportive, and helpful. I have to go to bed now, the meds are kind of knocking me out. Here's to a pain-free Saturday for all of us! And for my fellow East Coasters, watch out for Irene and stay safe!

Woo Hoo!!! Congrats on your NSV!!!! I had a little one today =] I have not exercised yet but I have been eating good and drinking nothing but water. I put on a shirt this morning that usually hugs my belly and its not hugging me at all! =] WoOOO!!!! lol
  • chedeco
    Options
    @Jazzy020106 - There is NOTHING better than putting on a shirt that usually hugs your belly and finding it to be loose. NOTHING BETTER. Nice job! What does PCOS stand for, btw?

Hope everyone is doing well today, my head feels better although the meds are still making me a little looped out. I'm frustrated because I gained 1.5 lbs. since yesterday which my mom says is totally because I basically haven't eaten in two days and because they gave me a huge bag of saline IV fluid at the ER last night. I hope she's right and that I have a big loss soon. Trying not to get too frustrated.

3 good things...

1.) My head feels better.
    2.) My boyfriend's t-shirt is definitely looser on me than before.
    3.) Hot in Cleveland marathon! :wink:

How's everyone else doing?
  • valguthrie2915
    Options
    @chedeco-- your weight gain could be something as simple as water retention from the saline given at the hospital. Migraines suck I have been stuck in a cluster headache for 7 days now but I refuse to go to the emergency room for a headache. I hate the fact that doctors treat you like you are a drug seeker for coming in with a headache. I have maybe been to the ER for a headache 3 times in my life. It is sad my husband gets mad at me because I lose vision in one eye and my face goes numb at the peak of my clusters, but I hate the way they make me feel when I go to the ER. I am hoping my cluster goes away soon.

BTW PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.

@jazzy-- Don't count on the symptoms of PCOS going away when you lose the weight even when I weighed 115lbs I still had symptoms...granted they were decreased but not gone. I know what you mean about the Metformin (Glucophage) making you feel like crap but I have found if I take it the way I am supposed to on a regular basis and I feel better. Also Metformin was orginally designed as a diet drug and it was found to have a side effect of regulating blood sugar so it became a diabetes drug. It actually helps you lose weight and feel less hungry if you take it right and consistently. I know I am bad about it taking it right. I am supposed to take 1000mg two times a day and I usually only get in 1000 mg once per day. I do know that when I was taking both doses correctly the weight dropped off without dieting. Maybe we can do this together and set goals to try and take our meds right. Good luck.
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hey folks,

How's everyone doing? I'm not doing too badly here, getting my food and exercise in as well as starting a new job. Will let you know what the scales say come Friday time. It's going to be a hard weekend as I'm away from home for a conference so will be difficult keeping on track with the food, I know what I'm eating on the saturday but not for the rest of the meals.

Take care,

J