Trying keto need help

Options
Untilproud11
Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello folks !
Im considering keto as my doctor recommended giving a try due to some ugly PCOS issues that I’m dealing with...
How low do you keep carbs ? Whats a day of eating keto like ?
Any success stories and tips welcome
TIA:)

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    A lot of women with PCOS find low carb to be helpful to them, but that doesn't necessarily mean you need to go full strict keto. As far as I know there's no health advantage to ketosis for PCOS. To get into ketosis, most people eat around 5% of their calories from carbs. Again I think that is especially restrictive for your needs. It can also be complicated with PCOS because a lot of women with it have intolerance to things like lactose and soy, which can make doing Keto harder.

My recommendation would be to work on reducing your carbs and focusing on low glycemic index foods as a start, and see how that helps you. You can make a lot of fruit and vegetabke substitutions for startches. Instead of putting a hamburger in a bun, put it in an avocado. Instead of making tacos with taco shells, put them in a tomato instead. Spaghetti Squash instead of pasta. Califlour rice instead or regular rice, etc.

My wife has PCOS, and this is a site she likes for low carb: https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/g3593/low-carb-recipes/. Just be aware that some of their definition of low carb may not be strict enough for keto, but it will help get you there.
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor give you a target for carbs? Strict keto is under 30 g of carbs/day. Moderate is under 50 g/day. You need to see what works for you. There is a keto group in the MFP community. Maybe ask your questions there.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,527 Member
    Options
    I am a keto'er ....I have my macros set to 5% carbs I believe that is 22 grams....75% fats and 20% protein....you are welcome to look at my food journal...wishing you the very best :)
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I would also recommend that you get a referral from your doctor to a registered dietician that specializes in PCOS. Doctors are not always the best versed themselves in nutrition. My wife went to see one on a recommendation from her gynecologist and it ended up being very beneficial. That's how we ended up on "lower carb but not keto"

Thank you so much ! Your reply was very helpful :)
  • saraghali
    saraghali Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I tried it and lost weight but I couldn’t give up fruits and bread. Plus, too much cheese made feel nauseous. If you don’t like carbs you can definitely try it!
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    check out https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/ for great recipes, meal plans and https://lowcarbyum.com/. Getting into ketosis does not have to be difficult, don't buy any of those 'keto pills' huge scam. I can tell when I am in ketosis but some people want physical evidence and buy test strips or blood meter k- similar to diabetic. Also, not necessary imho. Eating 20g or fewer carbs keep your fats high and moderate protein. There are calculators online that can help you find you calorie/macro levels. For myself my max calories is 1400 70% fat, 25% protein, 5% net carbs. Net carbs throws some people because you get to back out the fiber from the total carb count for net carbs which actually gives you move freedom than you would think. Avocados, berries, veggies have great fiber to counter their carb counts. Lots of info online but you have to be careful. The websites I gave you help a lot, I have lost 75lbs using those recipes with my calorie and macro limits.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mita271 wrote: »
    Hello folks !
    Im considering keto as my doctor recommended giving a try due to some ugly PCOS issues that I’m dealing with...
    How low do you keep carbs ? Whats a day of eating keto like ?
    Any success stories and tips welcome
    TIA:)

You can look at my diary as well. To get into ketosis is a function of lowering carbs. So get them between 20-50g net. Protein should be moderate (1.5-2.2g/kg) and let fats fall wherever. Also, sodium should be no less than 3500mg. If you are tired, crampy or sick, consume more sodium, potassium and magnesium.

Most importantly, do not do this diet until you understand it. You can start by lowering carbs and get between 50-100g per day. Once you really understand the diet, as well as have an idea of what to eat, then you should try keto.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The low carb group here has a number of members with PCOS. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you find your way. I also agree with @psuLemon : understand the diet before you really try it. Lot's of information in the announcements here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • LRLemon
    LRLemon Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and was prediabetic. I’ve been low carb since late June 2018 and keto since Nov 2018. Have lost 94 lbs, feel great, no longer prediabetic, blood pressure normal, huge drop in triglycerides. Keep total carbs </=25 grams. Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, coffee with half n half. Midday meal: protein & low-carb veggies. Snack: 1 oz almonds, or one piece of keto bread with 1 tbsp organic peanutbutter, or half cup full fat yogurt.