How long to loose 20lbs

Options
GINJAWHO
GINJAWHO Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
So I’m 6’4 at 315 and I’m wanting to hit 295 by July. So far iv been loosing a pound or 2 in a day or 2 and iv kinda been hovering around 315 for a couple of days now even tho nothing has changed in my diet. Just curious if my goal is feasible right now and what I can do to make things go by faster

Replies

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It varies for everyone. At your weight, your weight should come off pretty quickly for a while. How far into July do you hope to lose the weight by?
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    20 pounds in two weeks? Sure it's "feasible," but highly discouraged for a multitude of health reasons.

To answer your other question, to make weight loss faster you could do a bunch of cardio, thus increasing your daily deficit. You could also eat less. You could also have surgery. All of which is not recommended.

Losing 20 pounds in two weeks is feasible, but an ill-advised goal. You need to set realistic, healthy goals, otherwise you are preparing yourself for failure and/or serious health issues.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    with your stats, I would say 10-12 weeks

should not be aiming to lose more than 2 lbs/week, at this point. the closer you get to goal weight that will change to 1.5/week, to 1 to 0.5 for the last 10-15 (assuming your goal weight is in the healthy weight and bf% range.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    If you're comfortable with gaining all the weight back (probably plus some additional pounds on top of that), you might be able to swing it. Oh, and if you don't mind having zero energy and being ravenous 24/7 (which will almost certainly lead to episodes of binge eating), give it a try. I have to say, if you didn't get it from my tone, I'm implying you're setting yourself up for certain failure.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of a weight loss plan, many people drop a lot of water weight quickly before settling into a slower pace of fat loss. Don’t be surprised if you lose very fast at first, and then everything slows down.

That said, for your stats, 2 pounds per week is a reasonable pace of fat loss. It’s not realistic or safe to expect to lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to gain the weight?
  • Kane121c
    Kane121c Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    At your weight you could lose 20lbs very quickly. Most will be water and glycogen so for people saying it's not going to happen that's very wrong. It's always best to do it slowly though so it's something you can continue over a longer period of time. Good luck
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Kane121c wrote: »
    At your weight you could lose 20lbs very quickly. Most will be water and glycogen so for people saying it's not going to happen that's very wrong. It's always best to do it slowly though so it's something you can continue over a longer period of time. Good luck

The OP has already been losing weight quite quickly, so it's not nearly as likely that he still has a large amount of water that's just going to drop off of him. 20 lbs in 2 weeks is not reasonable to expect at OP's weight without that large water weight drop, so it's highly unlikely his goal is possible.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    4my3gurls wrote: »
    You can try keto diet I tried the keto egg diet I found on Pinterest I lost almost 7lbs in a week because after about 3 days of the diet your body goes into ketosis where it start to burn pure fat I mean hey it’s a start and depending on how active you are you could lose more 😬

If you lost 7 lbs in one week, it included several lbs of water weight and possibly digestive contents.

Your body fuels itself on the fat you're eating with keto, rather than the carbs it would use otherwise if you were eating them. Whether you lose stored body fat or not is about your calorie deficit.

Just to repeat what OP has already been suggested, faster isn't necessarily better. And he's already losing fast and wants to lose faster, not a great idea.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    You can try keto diet I tried the keto egg diet I found on Pinterest I lost almost 7lbs in a week because after about 3 days of the diet your body goes into ketosis where it start to burn pure fat I mean hey it’s a start and depending on how active you are you could lose more 😬

You should first understand how your diets works before recommending it to someone else. You don't understand where the 7 pounds came from and you have no idea what you are burning.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I think for larger people 8 lbs/month is a good goal. It is a big enough goal to keep you focused, but it is also a healthy and reasonable goal to set for sustainable weight loss. Some months you might lose more, some you might lose less, but 8 lbs in a month average would be a solid goal you can set and try to stick to for a long while.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    OP you need to manage your expectations. 20lbs in 2 weeks is not a realistic goal to shoot for. Start by building good habits. Goals don't get results, systems do. Be patient. Be consistent. You will get there, maybe not as fast as you want to, but you will get there...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Sadly you did not burn 7lbs of fat in one week, if only it worked like that. You got rid of excess water and glycogen stores...