Pre workout?

Options
Do you guys recommend any pre workouts for beginners? I’ve started going to the gym but I’m always so tired as I go after work.

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    coffee/tea, etc. some form/preferred source of caffeine is fine
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I exercise very early in the morning and use one caffeine pill before my workout which is equal to two cups of coffee + a protein bar. Once that hits my system I'm good!
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Orange juice is a great boost for me. I work out at 4 am and it gives me enough energy to get through a 2 hour or so workout. 🍊
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    When I have lifting after work, I'll have some sort of energy drink or green tea in the afternoon with a protein snack, and then quick carb(like apple sauce) right before.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Coffee - Straight / No Chaser
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use Xtend BCAA supplinent drink. It also has electrlytes in addition to L-citrulene. It can be used for pre, during, and post workout. But I find it is great as a preworkout especially
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Do you guys recommend any pre workouts for beginners? I’ve started going to the gym but I’m always so tired as I go after work.

Look at your nutrition, sleep quality and stress levels to determine why you are so tired. Fix those issues and most likely you will not need to supplement.

Good luck.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Agreed with ^. I usually have a cup of tea as a little pick up but I don't need it to get to the gym. If you use a pre you'll start to depend on it. Next thing you know you'll be a snorting a line of your desk lol
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Look at your nutrition, sleep quality and stress levels to determine why you are so tired. Fix those issues and most likely you will not need to supplement.

Good luck.

^^ This, it may be as simple as having a mid afternoon snack or getting more sleep. Most "pre workout" products are simply caffeine & simple carbs in a very expensive package.
  • LuisaFajardo
    LuisaFajardo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys! I’ve been sleeping better this days which has helped a lot! and I’m going to start having a snack before going to the gym. Maybe a cup of green tea or coffee as well..
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    mojavemtbr wrote: »

Good luck.

^^ This, it may be as simple as having a mid afternoon snack or getting more sleep. Most "pre workout" products are simply caffeine & simple carbs in a very expensive package.

You must be looking at a different class of Pre-workout supplements than I am in saying that they are just simple carbs and caffeine in an expensive package.
    The Pre-workout formulas like the one I refered to are usually Nitric Oxide enhancers which act as vasodilators to open up the capalaries and allow for better oxygen to the muscles. There may be a small amount of carbs in them but the main ingredients will be things like Arginine, Beta Alanine, and L-citruline. These are the N.O. enhancers. Often these also include amino acids especially BCAAs and many formulas also include Creatine. All of these ingredients mentioned have shown to be beneficial in enhancing tough workouts.
    Caffeine levels vary. Some have high amounts and some do not. So reading the labels and educating yourself on various Pre-workout formulas is best if you are interested in trying some. I have found they work well for me whether I take them before a strength workout or a mountain bike ride. And as a middle age man better capillary flow is also never a bad thing to have😁

And despite all the fancy stuff, caffeine is the actual active ingredient.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Good luck.

You must be looking at a different class of Pre-workout supplements than I am in saying that they are just simple carbs and caffeine in an expensive package.
    The Pre-workout formulas like the one I refered to are usually Nitric Oxide enhancers which act as vasodilators to open up the capalaries and allow for better oxygen to the muscles. There may be a small amount of carbs in them but the main ingredients will be things like Arginine, Beta Alanine, and L-citruline. These are the N.O. enhancers. Often these also include amino acids especially BCAAs and many formulas also include Creatine. All of these ingredients mentioned have shown to be beneficial in enhancing tough workouts.
    Caffeine levels vary. Some have high amounts and some do not. So reading the labels and educating yourself on various Pre-workout formulas is best if you are interested in trying some. I have found they work well for me whether I take them before a strength workout or a mountain bike ride. And as a middle age man better capillary flow is also never a bad thing to have😁

FYI - BCAA's are pretty much a waste of money (if short of protein whey is a much better choice), creatine doesn't need to be timed (works by saturation), also agree about the education part as it's well worth checking the dosage of the other ingredients (many are just there in tiny or undisclosed amounts to pad out the ingredient list).

Personally as a fellow middle aged man I only bother with pre-workout nutrition for exercise sessions of 3hrs plus. Cardio is great for boosting capillary flow. :smiley:
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yep, all the extras are only going to give you a marginal improvement. Creatine gives the most benefit , and like with bcaas you only need to supplement if you're not eating enough through diet.
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Hmm really? Thats odd because the Pre-workout I take contains no caffeine and works great. Must be all that other "fancy stuff"...lol
  • Theoldguy1
    edited June 2019
    Options

Good luck.

Hmm really? Thats odd because the Pre-workout I take contains no caffeine and works great. Must be all that other "fancy stuff"...lol

If you think it works for you great. Placebo effect is a real thing too.