New Joggers: It does get easier.

mandeiko
mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
I've had several conversations with new joggers and they expressed their concerns about it being too hard... I came across an article that may interest you. I'm sharing this in hopes it helps you :smile: You can do it too!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/526895-does-jogging-get-easier/

Does Jogging Get Easier?

Overview
Experienced runners often make the sport look easy, especially when you compare their quiet breathing and steady rhythms to your own experience. However, watching seasoned joggers conquer three miles at the track while you struggle to catch your breath on lap two can also motivate you to stay diligent. Even though jogging is generally difficult in the beginning, you'll make measurable progress in just a few weeks by utilizing some basic strategies for improvement. Talk with your doctor before starting a jogging program, particularly if you have a history of heart or orthopedic problems.

Beginner Facts
Jogging is hard in the beginning, but most of the obstacles to a smooth workout are only temporary problems. Your body isn't rebelling against your new goal, after all, but rather reacting to changing physical demands. In the next few weeks, your regular runs will train your heart to work more efficiently, which in turn means that the flow of oxygen to your muscles will be less laborious. As your cardiovascular fitness improves, the sense of being constantly out of breath will slowly dissipate. Your leg muscles will adapt to the new activity, as well.

Breathing Patterns
Although adopting a breathing pattern isn't necessary to building a jogging program, focusing on your breath can help you get through the sometimes grueling fitness curve when you're just getting started. Besides shifting your focus from how much farther you lack, a breathing pattern will help you keep the oxygen flowing and control your pace. Experiment with various patterns until you find one that works well for you. Common patterns include the 2-to-2, the 3-to-2 and 3-to-3 ratios. The 3-to-2 ratio, for example, simply means that you breathe in for three steps and out for two steps.

Setting Goals
Try setting weekly training goals to help you build your tolerance for jogging. Finishing your first mile or running two laps without taking a walk break, for example, are milestones that help you measure your progress. Training for and completing a 5K race is another way to affirm your ability to stick to and succeed in a jogging program. Although goals in themselves don't necessarily make jogging easier, they do give you something specific on which to focus. Once you accomplish the goal, you can re-*kitten* your jogging experience and celebrate your progress.

Tips
Wearing ill-fitting shoes may have you turning in your running gear prematurely. Visit a running specialty store for help choosing shoes that match your running style and gait. Also remember that even experienced runners utilize running and walking intervals occasionally. Try alternating between jogging for 30 to 60 seconds and walking for 60 seconds, or experiment with intervals until you find one that's a good fit for you. Jogging with a friend or a running group can also provide a distraction from your workout woes. And at some point down the road you'll realize that you aren't thinking about your breath, muscle fatigue or how many more minutes you have left to go. Jogging does get easier.

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Thanks for the post Amanda.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    thanks!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    I just finished W9D3 of C25K last night and it DOES get easier. It also starts to be something you love. If you don't love it don't do it, there's so many other exercises you can do out there that you can love. Do it because you love it, but give it enough time to love it too!!
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    I just came back from running and this was a great read. Thanks for sharing!
  • mandeiko
    Glad you all enjoyed! I agree, find your fitness passion. Don't force yourself to run if you hate it! There's a ton of other options :)
  • mandeiko
    I just finished W9D3 of C25K last night and it DOES get easier. It also starts to be something you love. If you don't love it don't do it, there's so many other exercises you can do out there that you can love. Do it because you love it, but give it enough time to love it too!!

I'm on week 2. Congrats!! That must feel awesome!
  • LeslieAJ
    LeslieAJ Posts: 10 Member
    Good Article. I started Running/jogging last year using the walk -run interval method. , I had already been doing 2-3 mile walks and had lost about 50 pounds. The running helped me lose the next 20 pounds and I was able to do one mile to one and a half mile runs, but I could not seem to go any farther with time or distance. After gaining back some weight and missing some running workouts over the winter, I really needed motivation. My sister found a beginners running class, and we joined together this July. The coach for the class is wonderful, and I am up to running 3 miles now and planning todomy first official 5K race in September. I would highly recommend anyone starting to run or jog to find a class or group run to join. You will avoid common mistakes, and learn about choosing the right shoes and avoiding or healing injuries. Many communities have classes or groups sponsored by community education program or Running stores.
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    ...find your fitness passion. Don't force yourself to run if you hate it! There's a ton of other options :)

Great advice. Sustained running has always been very difficult for me (even though I play soccer) and I have recently discovered biking and love it.