Scared of the gym

Hey guys I know it sounds stupid, but I’m scared of going to the gym, does anyone have tips or workouts that I can try at home?

Also feel free to add me as a friend

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Why are you scared of the gym?

What kind of exercising are you interested in?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,454 Member
    Look on YouTube, it’s loaded with workouts.
  • Intheseblueeyes
    Intheseblueeyes Posts: 17 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

I’ve been bullied a lot because of my weight, so I’ve lost all my confidence and I don’t want people to look at me or say anything about how I look, and to be honest I want something quick and easy but will work
  • Intheseblueeyes
    Intheseblueeyes Posts: 17 Member
    88olds wrote: »
    Look on YouTube, it’s loaded with workouts.

Thank you I didn’t think to look on there 🙃
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    There are people of all shapes and sizes at the gym. Nobody bullies anyone there. The vast majority of people just mind their own business and focus on their own workouts. The few that do engage usually do so from a place of good intentions trying to help.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    If you have cable, there are stations dedicated to just about any exercise type.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    There are people of all shapes and sizes at the gym. Nobody bullies anyone there. The vast majority of people just mind their own business and focus on their own workouts. The few that do engage usually do so from a place of good intentions trying to help.

trooth.

Gyms are some of the most narcissistic places on the planet. Most everyone is focused on themselves.

but yeah, you can do a lot at home with just some dumbbells and your floor.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

I’ve been bullied a lot because of my weight, so I’ve lost all my confidence and I don’t want people to look at me or say anything about how I look, and to be honest I want something quick and easy but will work

Do what you feel comfortable with but know that most people are not looking at you. Yes, they might glance to see if you are someone they know but they are usually so into their own workout that they aren't paying attention.

My first time at the gym was for a water aerobics class. I had to force my almost 300lb body into a swim suit. Talk about being self conscious! When I walked into the pool area, I got some looks that said "who's the new girl?" but that was it. No judgement, no bullying, nothing. My experience is the norm rather than the exception.
  • TonnnnUK
    TonnnnUK Posts: 132 Member
    As people have posted above the gym shouldn't be an intimidating place. People are generally just doing their own thing, they were once first timers / newbies themselves, so they are probably quite considerate of others who may be new and unsure of themselves.

That being said I can understand the apprehension, and maybe doing some initial workouts at home is the best thing to begin with. And when you build up some initial ideas of what you like to do, what you want to achieve and start to see some results, you'll be more inclined to step into a gym set up.

There's plenty that people can do at home, with just a small space using bodyweight exercises and/or a pair of small dumbbells.

A lot will depends on your starting point and current ability, but there will be loads of youtube from very beginners routines to advanced. Many videos will go through a routine and show variations of exercises to cater for all levels of ability.

I workout from home, I have built up a good gym space, but have plenty of knowledge and experience in utilising limited equiptment to good effect. I'll add you as a friend.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    There are apps for everything these days, almost guarantee there are good free apps with workouts on them. Fitbit has a bunch of free ones as well as pay for ones. Personally I find regular gyms dull, I go to a martial arts gym which means I actually go. When you get your confidence up join a sport that you have interest in rather than having exercise as a chore.
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    Hey guys I know it sounds stupid, but I’m scared of going to the gym, does anyone have tips or workouts that I can try at home?

Also feel free to add me as a friend

I hate that you feel that way. It's a shame that others do that. But I get it. There are plenty of workouts that you can do at home. Depending on what kind of equipment you have, the more you can do. Body weight exercises can be a great workout. @Intheseblueeyes
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Bodyfit by Amy is great on you tube, then hasfit a bit harder, then fitness blender for when you are a pro! I work out at home because I have kids, you can get a great workout in
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    You dont need a gym full of machines to become a machine.
    • Get outside.
    • Find a bunch of stairs and just get yourself up and down them a few times. Set a goal like 10 times in ten minutes or whatever.
    • Do as many burpees as you can in 5 minutes
    • Jog a certain distance without stopping.
    • Do 50 squats unbroken

Small manageable goals. Then try and improve on them. Maybe join goals together. Just keep your body moving and make it fun.

As for jimmy f*cktard at the gym who you are worried about what he might say or think... When you are old will you be glad you avoided him or will you wish you had done what you wanted to do?

Well done for taking the first step reaching out here. Next step is to just get moving :)
  • _faedreamer
    _faedreamer Posts: 56 Member
    I was really scared as an older woman over 200lbs when I first started going to the gym, very self conscious and worried people would stare or laugh. Not a single person even noticed I was there. One guy smiles at me when he sees me cause we seem to work out at the same time so we cross paths a lot, but that's it. No one will notice you. No one will care. It's actually very freeing, everybody just head down doing their own thing.
  • RoniOman
    RoniOman Posts: 6 Member
    I was so intimidated the first time I went to the gym. It sounds funny to say, but I literally didn't know how to exercise and was terrified of looking stupid. Truth - you are being a lot harder on yourself than anyone else there. In general, nobody is going to take notice and find you lacking. I found it was worth the money to work with a personal trainer to develop a routine for me. I met her 1/week for 3 months and then 1/month for a year. It gave me a sense of direction and goals. Then something amazing happened. I started getting to know people and they started making comments like "good job, today!" and "You got this!" So sorry you have dealt with some Class A douches in the past, but, really, the average people at the gym will support you, not rip you down.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    I started with Jess Smith tv. She has her exercise videos divided by type of workout, and has one section labeled for beginners! I love her attitude, and she makes sure to start a move showing you the lowest modification, then says "if you are ready for more, try adding this...". Really a boost for the self-esteem that you are working your way up, not having to mod down from their starting point!

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    maybe someone can go with you the first time. for me it was always the first time doing or going some place new that made me anxious.

everyone will be busy doing their own thing and not be concerned with you.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    Starting at home is what I did as well. I felt intimidated to start going to the gym again despite keeping up my membership. I got to the point where I couldn't do the strength training I wanted to, so three weeks ago I worked up the nerve to go. I had a trainer start a routine for me and show me the machines I didn't know. I was uncomfortable going in the free weight area as I've only lifted at home and can't lift much yet, but no one is paying any attention to me. You get into your own routine and don't notice people as much the more you go.
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    When I first joined a gym it was a horrible daunting experience, it was a massive place and one of the staff members did an induction with me, I told him I just wanted to get on a treadmill but he had me doing all this HIIT stuff on cross trainers and all sorts, my fitness level was non existent and I was absolutely done in after about 60 seconds, i felt like giving up at that point but I got my breath back and just jumped on a treadmill for a while and no one paid any attention to me at all.

The second part was the changing rooms, I was pretty self conscious walking around with my gut hanging out but no one even looked at me.

That was about 2 years ago now and unfortunately I didn't stick it out for too long but I got over the initial fear.

The gym I use now is a lot smaller and I get in there at about 5am four or five times a week and just use the treadmill, there is one woman in there everyday using one of the bikes but she has never so much as looked up at me, the weightlifting stuff is at the back so I don't tend to even see the people using them.

Maybe find yourself a smaller sized gym and get in there early (or late) when it isn't so busy (the gym I use is so close I don't bother with the showers or changing rooms either so that helps me out with any insecurities)

P.s. that is if your own self consciousness is the only thing keeping you from joining one, if you just prefer to do it from home then I'd recommend definitely recommend YouTube as well

P.p.s I still sometimes worry that I'm bothering people as I am stomping away on the treadmill like a baby rhino but honestly I am the only person who cares
  • MamaKL5
    MamaKL5 Posts: 69 Member
    FitnessBlender is free and has a huge variety. Look them up on YouTube.