Complete Noob, would love some advice.

Hey all, not sure where I should have posted this but I thought I’d start here.
I’m a big girl, and I have a lot of weight to lose, (5’3 230ish)however I do not want to look like a melted candle when the weight comes off.
I loath cardio and thought weights may be the way to go.
I have a basic dumbbell set that goes to 45 lbs and sitting in a dusty corner of my garage I have a weight bench and power rack? (The gym is not an option for me)
At this weight, at lightly active 2100 calories a day for loss of 0.5 lb a week, if I add in a regular wt routine, can I stave off the melting candle look?
And could someone point me in the direction of some resources that aren’t a load of bull?

TL/DR Can I do a ‘recomp’ as I lose slowly?

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    You haven't given your age (not that it matters) but as an older woman, I can say that it's never a bad idea to add muscle. I can't speak to the loose skin issue; however, at the very least, improving your underlying body composition is going to be beneficial for your health and function -- mobility, bone density.

This is a good place to start https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

I lift at home with the same equipment that you have. You will probably want to invest in a barbell and weight plates to go along with that power rack. I've never been into sports or any athletic activity but I found I LOVED lifting.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    You might have excess skin when you lose the weight. Lifting weights does a lot for your body, but not your skin.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    You haven't given your age (not that it matters) but as an older woman, I can say that it's never a bad idea to add muscle. I can't speak to the loose skin issue; however, at the very least, improving your underlying body composition is going to be beneficial for your health and function -- mobility, bone density.

This is a good place to start https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

I lift at home with the same equipment that you have. You will probably want to invest in a barbell and weight plates to go along with that power rack. I've never been into sports or any athletic activity but I found I LOVED lifting.

Solid advice here. Not sure why it was woo’d so wanted to comment. Pick a program from that link that works for your equipment. I lost nearly all my weight with lifting and calorie deficit. Not a ton of cardio at all. Didn’t end up skinny fat