Lose weight with tea

Options
popandreisorin
popandreisorin Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2019 in Getting Started
Hello people,

I am a bit overweight, and I want to do something about it. Working out is not really good for me, having epilepsy and a floating shoulder.
I try to keep off of junk food and late night snacking but it doesn't do much.
So I read an article about red tea and this tea says it does the trick.
Has anyone tried it? 
Does it work?
Thank you!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Tea is not going to help you to lose weight (or fat more specifically), if it were that easy we'd all be doing it.

Any tea that advertises itself as a weight loss product is highly likely to be a diuretic (expels fluid - not necessarily a good thing if you are not carrying a lot of excess fluid, end up dehydrated) or a laxative (well we not that isn't healthy long term).

Fill in your profile here, set to lose between 1 to 2 lb per week (lower if you don't have a lot of weight to lose - 2 lb if you have a lot of weight to lose). You will be provied with a daily calorie allowance. Plan your daily menu, eat to plan, weigh all solids to determine weight to calculate calories, measure all fluids with calories to determine calories. Exercise if you are so inclined, eat back some or all of your exercise calories dependent how your weight loss is going week to week. Know that you won't lose weight every week, sometimes there will gains, sometimes there will be zilch - but as long as over the long term you are losing weight its all good

If you don't have a lot of weight to lose - weight loss will be slower and lower, patience is key.
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just NOPE.

Drink a cuppa by all means but eating less than you burn is sadly the only way. Read some of the stickies though and follow the conversations on the boards/forums - you'll learn a lot about how to actually lose weight, and keep it off.

Best of luck
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    No tea does not cause weight loss. It can help if it replaces something with calories, or helps you avoid unnecessary snacking. But the links in Panini's post is what you're looking for!
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    tea was very useful in my weight loss journey, but it was just a tool to drink less calorie laden beverages. i miss it :(
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »
    tea was very useful in my weight loss journey, but it was just a tool to drink less calorie laden beverages. i miss it :(

Why can't you drink tea?
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options

Why can't you drink tea?

for whatever reason, drinking tea causes my body to greatly slow down my iron absorption.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    There is no easy button for weight loss. No tea, no vinegar, no magic pill or detox cleanse that will cause you to lose weight if you don't change how you eat. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something that at best will do nothing, and at worst may make you very sick.

The good news is you can do it without any exercise. Just weigh and track what you eat and keep yourself in a deficit and the fat will burn off over time.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    Options
    Aah the tannins. I wonder if orange juice and tea would offset each other, leading to a neutral position?

What about herbal teas, I would think the majority of those would not have tannins?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Aah the tannins. I wonder if orange juice and tea would offset each other, leading to a neutral position?

What about herbal teas, I would think the majority of those would not have tannins?

If you're talking about pH, your body does an incredibly good job of regulating that on its own. If that pH regulation failed, you'd mostly likely be dead far more quickly than any effort to fix it through manipulating your diet could come into play.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    Options

If you're talking about pH, your body does an incredibly good job of regulating that on its own. If that pH regulation failed, you'd mostly likely be dead far more quickly than any effort to fix it through manipulating your diet could come into play.

No, I was talking about iron. Tea can prevent the absorption of iron whereas orange juices helps with it
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options

Why can't you drink tea?

for whatever reason, drinking tea causes my body to greatly slow down my iron absorption.

It's the tannins in the tea. I would be DEVASTED if I couldn't drink tea.