Headache when in a calorie deficit

Options
Was thinking I can check here if anyone had similar problems or knows what can be wrong.

I have been having a lot of problems with headache for about 2 years(had normal migraine my whole life but not serious).
When I'm eating less calories I will always get headache, right now I'm doing resistance training 4-5 times a week and no cardio, 5000-6000steps a day, 3-4liter water a day, using salt for my food to make sure I have sodium, taking multivitamins,vitamin d, fish oil, magnesium every day. Have been trying to eat 2000kcal a day but at the end of the day, at night or in the morning I will get headache. If I eat a about 2500+kcals I'm usually fine. Have been going to a neurologist for about a year, done ct scan and a lot of different bloodwork, tried a lot of different medications. All the bloodworks are good, I bought a blood glucose reader and all is good. I rarely eat sugar, don't drink a lot of alcohol, sleep 8-9 hours a night, no stress.
Not a problem with hunger, even if I eat a lot of vegetables though out the day and feel full I will get headache if I'm in a calorie deficit.
Still having big problems with losing weight because of headaches.
When I get headache the only way to get rid of it is to eat more.
I'm a 27 years old Male, 177cm tall, 93kg.
macros im trying to hit: 200carb 175protein 56fat.

Thank you.

Replies

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    56g fat is a good target; how often are you hitting it? Low fat can mess with cognitive functioning.

Are you taking an supplements?

Also, is your BP in a normal range?

Resistance training is usually recommended 3-4 days a week, but 5 is certainly not unheard of. Maybe try to cut resistance back to three days and add a day or two of cardio. Worth a shot.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Is there anything you're eating more of while in a deficit? My migraines are often food triggered (dairy for me) and were also very frequent when my blood pressure was higher, especially if I was eating salty foods.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you cutting out a source of caffeine with your calorie deficit? (Sodas, coffees, etc.)
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I only came to say that, without fail, when I go into a calorie deficit I get really bad headaches (especially in the morning, I wake up with one and it’s quite strong and lasts most of the day). In my case though these headaches last for 1-2 weeks, then I feel back to normal (while still being in a deficit). Like you, I’ve looked at and played with every variable possible, but the only common factor is a calorie deficit. I’ve been dieting on and off for many years, so at this point I’ve experienced this numerous times and at least I expect it.

I’m sorry to hear your headaches never go away. I hope you find answers and figure out something that works to help you feel better while you’re trying to achieve your goals.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Hydration? I get headaches when I don't drink enough water.

• masterbitt
    masterbitt Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Thanks so much for the answers
  • masterbitt
    Options
    I can add that 4 years ago I didn't have this problem at all, was really easy for me to diet down and I only got headache when I skipped eating for a whole day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    56g fat is a good target; how often are you hitting it? Low fat can mess with cognitive functioning.

Resistance training is usually recommended 3-4 days a week, but 5 is certainly not unheard of. Maybe try to cut resistance back to three days and add a day or two of cardio. Worth a shot.

I was going to say on 2000+ cals that fat goal seems quite low. I would consider raising fat by 5% and lowering protein by 5%. 175g protein is pretty much overkill, unless you have a LBM of 175 to 200 or so lbs.
  • masterbitt
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

I was going to say on 2000+ cals that fat goal seems quite low. I would consider raising fat by 5% and lowering protein by 5%. 175g protein is pretty much overkill, unless you have a LBM of 175 to 200 or so lbs.

Okay thank you, will adjust it
  • masterbitt
    edited June 2019
    Options

I usually eat atleast 56fat or more, I take the vitamins I mentioned before and protein powder, sometimes bcaas.

The thing is I've had this problem for about 2-3 years and have had long periods without any training but also periods with training. And times I haven't been dieting but accidentally eating less some day I will get headache. I will try out doing some cardio every week.

I check my blood pressure quite often and it's normal.
  • masterbitt
    Options
    I only came to say that, without fail, when I go into a calorie deficit I get really bad headaches (especially in the morning, I wake up with one and it’s quite strong and lasts most of the day). In my case though these headaches last for 1-2 weeks, then I feel back to normal (while still being in a deficit). Like you, I’ve looked at and played with every variable possible, but the only common factor is a calorie deficit. I’ve been dieting on and off for many years, so at this point I’ve experienced this numerous times and at least I expect it.

I’m sorry to hear your headaches never go away. I hope you find answers and figure out something that works to help you feel better while you’re trying to achieve your goals.

Okay, I have been thinking that too, if maybe I just need to get through the headaches and my body will get used to it, usually I give up when the headache gets to much and eat more, I will try my best to keep my calories strict for 1-2 weeks like you said and see if it works for me too.
  • masterbitt
    Options
    Are you cutting out a source of caffeine with your calorie deficit? (Sodas, coffees, etc.)

I'm keeping my caffeine intake the same the whole time.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I know you mentioned you are taking salt, and you also mentioned 3-4L per day of water. Are you absolutely certain you are getting enough electrolytes (primarily, but not exclusively sodium)? Depending on activity, heat/humidity, etc., I sometimes struggle with electrolytes even when consuming 12K mg sodium. While I also avoid carbs (another factor for electrolytes) and your macros at 200g carbs don't present that additional challenge, if you are active at all and it is hot, you may not be getting enough sodium still. I suggest at least trying to adjust that upwards for a few days (add electrolyte tabs to your water) and see if you feel better.
  • masterbitt
    Options
    grimendale wrote: »
    Is there anything you're eating more of while in a deficit? My migraines are often food triggered (dairy for me) and were also very frequent when my blood pressure was higher, especially if I was eating salty foods.

During this 2 years my diet have been very different many times because I have been in different countries but the headaches stay the same.
    I did stop consuming dairy for a long time because it gave me acne before but now I have no problem with it.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Blood sugar level can cause headaches. I believe both hypoglycemia and diabetes can cause this, when your blood suagr level drops. As I understand it, it is a response to the brain not getting enough glucose.

Might be worth talking over with a doctor in case something in your body has changed. Like for type 2 diabetes, headaches are one of the early warning signs.

In the interim, maybe a low glycemic index diet might be helpful? I believe it is supposed to help your blood sigar avoid as many spikes and valleys.

A bit of info on low blood sugar and headaches:
    https://www.migrainetrust.org/about-migraine/trigger-factors/hypoglycaemia/
  • masterbitt
    edited June 2019
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    Blood sugar level can cause headaches. I believe both hypoglycemia and diabetes can cause this, when your blood suagr level drops. As I understand it, it is a response to the brain not getting enough glucose.

Might be worth talking over with a doctor in case something in your body has changed. Like for type 2 diabetes, headaches are one of the early warning signs.

In the interim, maybe a low glycemic index diet might be helpful? I believe it is supposed to help your blood sigar avoid as many spikes and valleys.

A bit of info on low blood sugar and headaches:
    https://www.migrainetrust.org/about-migraine/trigger-factors/hypoglycaemia/

Thank you, I have also suspected this before so I got a blood sugar tester and check my blood sugar levels myself very often and they are normal.
  • susiejof
    susiejof Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You might try excluding other foods that are known migraine triggers from your diet. I suffer from migraines and chronic vertigo and following the recommendations in the book “Heal Your Headache: The 1-2-3 Program” by David Buchholz greatly helped. I have had to give up caffeine, and many other foods I ate but I am not getting as many migraines as I did in the past. Didn’t want to quit drinking coffee and tea but I finally realized that drinking them gave me a migraine the day after consuming them! I also had to give up the whey powder I used daily, and all the fermented foods like yoghurt, etc. that are “healthy”.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    I know you mentioned you are taking salt, and you also mentioned 3-4L per day of water. Are you absolutely certain you are getting enough electrolytes (primarily, but not exclusively sodium)? Depending on activity, heat/humidity, etc., I sometimes struggle with electrolytes even when consuming 12K mg sodium. While I also avoid carbs (another factor for electrolytes) and your macros at 200g carbs don't present that additional challenge, if you are active at all and it is hot, you may not be getting enough sodium still. I suggest at least trying to adjust that upwards for a few days (add electrolyte tabs to your water) and see if you feel better.

This was my first thought. Low carb without increasing salt often causes headaches.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When you are doing calorie deficit are you changing what you eat or are you sticking with your regular diet? If so, maybe try eating less of your normal diet and see if that helps with the headaches.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am very curious how this ends up for you. I've been dealing with what my neurologist calls 'Chronic Daily Headache w Migraine' for over a decade now. I wish my experience was somehow useful, but the headaches are so constant that it is hard to tell what is contributing to them. I definitely notice an increase of headaches post-Strength Training but I'm only ~6mo into that. I have been at a calorie deficit for the past ~13mo, so while a deficiency may have affect calories are not the driver.

Best of luck.