Losing inches but not weight rowing

Options
First of all, I want to say that I know that losing inches means I'm losing fat. My clothes are fitting better, and that's fantastic! I'm just starting to get a little frustrated. I have plantar fasciitis that I can't seem to kick, and I've been hoping that losing some of the weight I've been carrying might help.

I've been rowing diligently for a few months. I feel my fitness increasing, I see my stomach getting flatter and my shoulders and arms getting more defined (Awesome!!!), but I've been up and down the same couple of pounds on the scale for months now. I'm tracking my calories, and it seems like I should be losing. I don't know if I'm just retaining water or if I'm gaining enough muscle to cancel out my fat loss on scale (Again, awesome!!! But can I possibly be building that much muscle rowing?). Any tips to nudge this along? Should I be taking a harder look at my diet, or should I assume I'm doing okay with that if I'm obviously losing fat? How much longer before I can expect the scale to start dropping?

Thanks for any advice or pep talks.

Replies

• kroden2019
    kroden2019 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey! I had the exact same problem. Don’t lose faith especially if you see your losing inches. Your body is simply adjusting and replacing fat with muscle. I also use a rowing machine (or version, I have a knockoff Total Gym). For a solid two weeks, I actually gained weight but lost inches. Eventually I decided to lock the scale away. Instead of obsessing over my weight, I turned my focus on my inches lost. Though the first couple days was tempting, eventually it was such a relief. I pulled it out yesterday, 2 weeks after and discovered I lost 10 lbs. Now I don’t think I lost that 10 lbs in just those two weeks, but the whole month of effort.

Ive been eating clean for 3 weeks, and have one more to go, before I start introducing whole grains back into my diet. I have worked out on my machine 5 days a week, focus on abs every other day, and stationary bike for 30 minutes everyday.

Be patient with your weight. It WILL come off. It is scientifically impossible for it not to if you’re doing what you need to be doing. Congrats on your hard work and inches lost! You can do this!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Pure in simple if you're not losing weight you're not in enough of a caloric deficit. The rate of muscle gain in individuals lifting weights with the intent of gaining muscle is seldom higher than that of fat loss. In addition to keeping up with rowing, get your logging dialed in (using a food scale if you don't already) and see what your actual intake is right now and adjust accordingly.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs years ago by tracking and put 10 lbs back on over 3 to 4 years rowing (years later). I don't know if you're male or female, but I'm assuming female. It would really hard in a few months to put on a lot of muscle.

If you're adding in rowing, it's one of the best exercises you can do. It has benefits well beyond weightloss. Just keep at it and try to buckle up your calories and weigh your food on a food scale.

Could possibly be a little inflammation making you hold water weight but if that's it, it will come off soon.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I lost over 35lbs last year on a combination of cycling (outdoor) and diet moderation. This year, I've lost some, but the scale is sticking to a narrow range. On the other hand, as I get measured by the nutritionist, I am gaining muscle to offset fat loss. As he says, "you're getting fitter, feeling better and your clothes are getting looser all the time. Don't lost faith, you're doing basically the right thing." [he would like to see me trim my intake a bit to amp up actual weight loss.] So, my lesson learned to share with you: keep on doing the things you know are right for you, and remember the scale number - while important - is not the only measure. I expect another year-end weight drop by this year end (my summer regime is just kicking in - riding to the beach, then swimming for a combined program), the question is how much the drop will be. BTW, I'm male, 65, and newly retired last year from a sedentary IT job. My "diet" is really moderation, fresh whole foods home-prepared, and generally lower glycemic and lower sodium. I retain water with a drop of added salt, which complexifies the scale reading.
  • BeezBeez
    BeezBeez Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been measuring food, but not weighing. I do have a food scale, which I'll start putting it to use. I was wondering if I needed to if I seem to be losing fat, but the consensus seems to be yes.

Do you think the fat is just shifting around then? Because I've been measuring my body and I've lost a couple of inches off my waist and hips.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    BeezBeez wrote: »
    I've been measuring food, but not weighing. I do have a food scale, which I'll start putting it to use. I was wondering if I needed to if I seem to be losing fat, but the consensus seems to be yes.

Do you think the fat is just shifting around then? Because I've been measuring my body and I've lost a couple of inches off my waist and hips.

If you really want to lose weight, yes, it's a great tool. I lost 20 lbs in three years exercising and then 60 more in one year carefully monitoring (including weighing food on a food scale, especially for that last 10 pounds) and tracking my food using calorie tracking. Food scales don't lie, your eyes tend to underestimate. At least mine did!

I'm also of the opinion do one thing right for a few months before adding something else in. I honestly think new people on here should just track what they eat (and not weigh) for one month just to understand their patterns better. Then perhaps add in a food scale the next month. Then add in just a bit of exercise the next month. People that want to change everything at once struggle. It's all about habits. Habit research has shown that if you concentrate on one thing at a time, you have 2 to 3 times the chances of success rather than multiple things at one time.

What I'm also hinting is that by adding in exercise, that's a GREAT habit. And it doesn't get much better than rowing. You're tracking well. That's fantastic. Get those two things down completely in order before weighing food on a food scale. You're doing everything right, just make sure you got each thing down before adding too much more.
  • BeezBeez
    BeezBeez Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm also of the opinion do one thing right for a few months before adding something else in. I honestly think new people on here should just track what they eat (and not weigh) for one month just to understand their patterns better. Then perhaps add in a food scale the next month. Then add in just a bit of exercise the next month. People that want to change everything at once struggle. It's all about habits. Habit research has shown that if you concentrate on one thing at a time, you have 2 to 3 times the chances of success rather than multiple things at one time.

Well, I did do this. I've been tracking my calories and lost about 17 pounds over the course of a few months. When I found myself at a plateau, I started getting very consistent with my rowing, and that's when I started really seeing (tape) measurable changes to my body, but the scale still isn't budging. I still have quite a bit to lose, so it's frustrating, but as long as I'm not gaining anything back I guess that's a victory.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. I'll try to be even more diligent with calorie counting and hope that the weight loss will come eventually.