What's a good Pre Workout snack that can be eaten on the commute?

2»

Replies

• appledawn0422
    appledawn0422 Posts: 31 Member
    The reason I say protein is because when I used to have the shaky problem when I was on an allergy rotation diet the Dr. and the nutritionist told I probably wasn't getting enough protein and told me to add nuts (the ones I wasn't allergic to) to my oatmeal and have cheese for a snack. That was years ago so I'm sure things have come full circle and that may not be the rule of thumb now. So Protein or no protein?

I'm new at this too but I was told Carbs before and protein after by a couple of people at the gym. I go early so I eat my overnight oats an hour before I hit the gym.
  • carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    I met with a nutritionist on Friday and she suggested a protein bar that's 200 calories and has 5 or less grams of sugar.

Apparently after looking at our weekly menu she thinks I am definitely not getting enough protein and was eating too many carbs.

So now I have been eating a snack either protein bar or protein shake that fits the 200 calories and 5 grams or less of sugar.

I am going to try it for a month and see if it works. If not will regroup and try the carb idea.

So far this week it seems to be working.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    I met with a nutritionist on Friday and she suggested a protein bar that's 200 calories and has 5 or less grams of sugar.

Apparently after looking at our weekly menu she thinks I am definitely not getting enough protein and was eating too many carbs.

So now I have been eating a snack either protein bar or protein shake that fits the 200 calories and 5 grams or less of sugar.

I am going to try it for a month and see if it works. If not will regroup and try the carb idea.

The simple protein bar recipe from the powder that I posted earlier is great if you want to customize the nutrition and flavours.

Takes a bit to learn how to handle it as it gets fairly sticky, but you just need to wet your hands and roll it or coat it in something when it's done. Get some dark chocolate on that bad boy and it's not bad at all. Though I usually end up just coating them in more protein powder so I get really high protein density.
  • carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member

The simple protein bar recipe from the powder that I posted earlier is great if you want to customize the nutrition and flavours.

Takes a bit to learn how to handle it as it gets fairly sticky, but you just need to wet your hands and roll it or coat it in something when it's done. Get some dark chocolate on that bad boy and it's not bad at all. Though I usually end up just coating them in more protein powder so I get really high protein density.

Thanks I will play with it this weekend. We finally aren't booked solid so I should have some kitchen time. I have a chocolate protein powder that is too malted milk ball tasting for a shake, I bet it will be perfect for the bar.

There's also a recipe for energy balls that I make that the Hershey's cocoa could probably be substituted with protein powder.

It's a work in progress.