Too Much?

Options
Hello all,

Just looking for some input.

In the last three months, I've lost almost 9lbs. I'm actually really happy with this progress, and I'm getting closer to my goal weight of 145lbs.

I have a 1750 calorie diet that I normally stay close to, but I'm not afraid of eating over or enjoying a beer. I've learned "moderation" with food and drinks which is also huge!

Right now I want to keep losing weight, run a 5k, and get stronger over all.

Will working on cardio subtract from any gains I manage through weight training? I usually cardio and strength train same days, 3x a week for about an hour total. Is this too much? Not enough? Should I focus on 1 rather than all 3?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• exhilen
    exhilen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When you say gains, what are you referring to?
    You’re balling a lot of goals into one. Although not completely unmanageable, if you have a specific goal like gaining muscle, then a calorie deficit can cause such a goal to be difficult to obtain (aside from recomping).

If you’re overall goal is just to become more healthy, then the goals are fine as long as there is no burn out.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If that's manageable, keeps you challenged but energized rather than fatigued, makes you happy, and fits into overall life balance (enough time left for family, job, social life, other essential hobbies) . . . . it's perfect.

Specifically, cardio won't interfere with strength as long as you don't over-restrict (lose too fast) or lowball protein specifically or balanced nutrition generally.

If strength is your priority, do that first on combo days. If cardio's paramount, do that first.

Just my opinion, obviously! :)

I agree with what Ann said with one caveat: that the cardio is of the moderate variety. Training for a marathon or tri is incompatible with progress with weight training. It will interfere with the metabolic pathways that build muscle and strength. Assuming that is not the level of cardio you are talking about if you are talking about running a 5K.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. I do weights and cardio the same day, but since i'm focusing mainly on weight training I do that first and do cardio after. If I did cardio right before all my strength training it would temporarily effect my gains for that day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I prefer to alternate weight and cardio days. I can’t handle both on the same day and I’m in decent shape.